Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
Not today......Tigers gave the M's their chance to win a game this series last night......Detroit is going to crush them today.........

That's ok. God still loves you.

Or does he? MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

satan.jpg

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
As I expected we couldn't hit Gil Meche :P

Still, I never would have imagined we'd have 59 wins by the all star break.

you'll collapse and finish under 500. Mark me words! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Well, counting the loss in Seattle, it was a 3-3 West Coast swing. This season has been exceedingly strange for many reasons to this Tigers fan, and the best indicator of it is this: only 3-3 on the West Coast swing?

59 wins at ASB though is terrific, and this race has been really fun. The Tigers need to go 41-33 (a .554 winning percentage) to get 100 victories on the year. Not that it is a definite; I'm still apprehensive about injuries, and the Tigers/Lions fan in me is still expecting the other shoe to fall. But they have definitely exceeded all my expectations thus far, and even if the White Sox overtake them I am happy that the Tigers have at least showed for half-a-year that they can be a good team.

With that being said... Hey, Tigers, playoffs? Please? It's been a while... heck, even the Lions have been to the playoffs more than once since you have. :D

QUOTE(Zoogz @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
Well, counting the loss in Seattle, it was a 3-3 West Coast swing. This season has been exceedingly strange for many reasons to this Tigers fan, and the best indicator of it is this: only 3-3 on the West Coast swing?

59 wins at ASB though is terrific, and this race has been really fun. The Tigers need to go 41-33 (a .554 winning percentage) to get 100 victories on the year. Not that it is a definite; I'm still apprehensive about injuries, and the Tigers/Lions fan in me is still expecting the other shoe to fall. But they have definitely exceeded all my expectations thus far, and even if the White Sox overtake them I am happy that the Tigers have at least showed for half-a-year that they can be a good team.

With that being said... Hey, Tigers, playoffs? Please? It's been a while... heck, even the Lions have been to the playoffs more than once since you have. :D

I sware every time the Tiggers lose we see this same post, but worded differently. The fact is if the Sox overtake Detroit, there will be no Detroit fans left on this board.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
I sware every time the Tiggers lose we see this same post, but worded differently. The fact is if the Sox overtake Detroit, there will be no Detroit fans left on this board.

Well, it's really hard to be unhappy being a fan of this team. Every plausible outcome of the season is really positive. Heck, even if the Tigers manage to put together a .450 record from the day they start play after the All-Star break, they finish 93-69. That's a FAR cry from the 71-91 that they pieced together just last year, the 72-90 they cobbled together two years ago, and the laughing-stock-worthy 43-119 they managed three years ago. That's real progress, and their team seems to be built with pitchers a-plenty in the minors as well... which many baseball enthusiasts will tell you is one of the best ways to build a team. I have no clue if they'll perform years from now, but they're playing with house money now.

And in all seriousness, while I really was jealous the White Sox for putting together such a "lucky" season last year and also disliked the personnel that they put it together with, I'm firmly in the "Big Ten Conference" mode... where even if U of Mich. loses in the bowl game, I'll root for Ohio State in theirs just to bring glory to the conference. It's the same way here, as the AL Central has been such a joke for so long. And a devoted White Sox fanbase that waited such a long time for a World Series win can't be a bad group of people. :)

I'll stick around for a bit if you don't mind, because at the very least this team you guys root for, the White Sox, is bringing some color back to MLB and the American League. Like or hate Ozzie, or like or hate the White Sox, they've got personality and I really never know what the sports page may say next about them. And since I can still get some of the Chicago stations faintly here in south Mich., , I may as well listen to what's going on.

Though at this point, I'm still rooting for the Tigers. If the Sox beat them, so be it... they're the better team. Why do I stay here? Hey, I dunno, but you guys seem fun to hang around and good to discuss things with. And also keeping me grounded as a sparkly-eyed baseball fan whose team is finally relevant. Will I be hated for who I root for? Oh well, no big deal, baseball is baseball. And if I can bring a bit of enjoyment to you guys (namely, "Ha ha, we're beating up on the Tigers, :gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox2: !") then it can't be bad to have me and some of the other fans stick around, right?

Go Ozzie and the All-Stars, keep the AL home field... though I doubt the AL needs it. :sweep:

Edited by Zoogz

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
You're right, the minute the Sox go even .5 games over Detroit I will dissapear and stop posting, then when we return with a .5 game lead I will return with a vengance.

That's pretty much been my plan all along. :s

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? :D

I'm curious to see how Leyland handles Verlander in the second half. I'm assuming he'll skip a few starts where he can, maybe call up a spot starter if the roster allows.

The unsung hero for that staff has to be Miner. Kid just keeps putting up zeros and giving his team a chance to win.

The kitties are 23-10 against the Central: 22-5 against teams not named White Sox. That's amazing. Hard to imagine they'll keep up that up, though.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm curious to see how Leyland handles Verlander in the second half. I'm assuming he'll skip a few starts where he can, maybe call up a spot starter if the roster allows.

The unsung hero for that staff has to be Miner. Kid just keeps putting up zeros and giving his team a chance to win.

The kitties are 23-10 against the Central: 22-5 against teams not named White Sox. That's amazing. Hard to imagine they'll keep up that up, though.

The White Sox went 52-22 against the AL Central last year. If you think Detroit is going to slow down against the AL Central, just because they are supposed to, you are sorely mistaken.

BTW, point of interest...the Sox went 14-5 against Cleveland last year. What's even more fun is that they scored 80 runs while allowing 75. That tells me that the Sox were winning every friggin close game there was(RALLY CREDE!!111!1!!1!), and Cleveland would destroy them otherwise.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
The White Sox went 52-22 against the AL Central last year. If you think Detroit is going to slow down against the AL Central, just because they are supposed to, you are sorely mistaken.

Sox fans are simply in denial. Detroit isn't going anywhere.

BTW, point of interest...the Sox went 14-5 against Cleveland last year. What's even more fun is that they scored 80 runs while allowing 75. That tells me that the Sox were winning every friggin close game there was(RALLY CREDE!!111!1!!1!), and Cleveland would destroy them otherwise.

I believe we won 9, that's right, 9 one run games against the Tribe last year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 01:58 AM)
I believe we won 9, that's right, 9 one run games against the Tribe last year.

But Thats what Good teams do. Win Close Games, especially against quality/dangerous opponents. Until Detroit can do that I will worry about the White Soxes, Yankees and Red Soxes.

The Tigers have been able to come back late in games which is a good sign but I want to see them win a close game against the South Siders or east coast bums. Thats what its going to take to make it into the playoffs and be successful there.

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
But Thats what Good teams do. Win Close Games, especially against quality/dangerous opponents. Until Detroit can do that I will worry about the White Soxes, Yankees and Red Soxes.

The Tigers have been able to come back late in games which is a good sign but I want to see them win a close game against the South Siders or east coast bums. Thats what its going to take to make it into the playoffs and be successful there.

Exactly.

For you and us both.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)

I think the central is much improved from last season. I would be very surprised to see them continue to dominate minny and cleveland like they have so far this season.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
I think the central is much improved from last season. I would be very surprised to see them continue to dominate minny and cleveland like they have so far this season.

It's better but not by much. Cleveland won 93, Minnesota 81, Detroit 71, and KC 56, along with the Sox' 99.

This year, two teams are well on pace to win 90-100 games, Minny's on pace to win 80-90 games, and both Cleveland and KC have sucked. I don't see a whole lotta difference.