Jon Garland

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
I agree.

Jon looked fabulous last night, and the start against the Cubs on Friday. I have not been the biggest supporter of Garland, really, ever. Sure, he started off great last year, but finished 10-10 with an ERA close to 4 in the second half. But, if he can pitch like he has these last two (and apparently two before that that I don't remember as clear) then he'll be a hell of a 4th pitcher.

If Garland can give us the numbers he posted in the second half of last year over the course of the next 2.5 years, he'll be worth his contract. I mean he was 5-6 with a 3.65 ERA...10 of the 15 games he allowed 3 runs or less, 9 of the 15 he allowed 2 runs or less.

Garland's going to occasionally get rocked, only becuase he doesn't have dominant stuff. But overall, he should give you a chance to win the game in 75% of his starts. Not bad for a fourth starter as is.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
We all know Jon is not the strongest in the brain department

Sadly, Javy seems to be even worse in this category.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
On a side note, I fear Garcia may be toast. His 89 MPH fastball just won't cut it, no matter what team you are on.

Then I guess that Buehrle is toast as well, because that's right around where he maxes out. Freddy's fastball isn't the problem (he's in the 89-92 mph range most of the time) - he gets into trouble when he can't locate his hook and falls behind in counts.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Sadly, Javy seems to be even worse in this category.

Then I guess that Buehrle is toast as well, because that's right around where he maxes out. Freddy's fastball isn't the problem (he's in the 89-92 mph range most of the time) - he gets into trouble when he can't locate his hook and falls behind in counts.

Buehrle is a control pitcher though, he has amazing natural life to his pitches which allows him to throw 86 but Freddy is just not cut out to be a control guy. If he doesn't have that 94-95 MPH heat to get him out of the tough situation, he's not going to be all that successful. His inconsistency has been proof of this. Buehrle can throw a fastball through a teacup with his insane control, Freddy just doesn't have that kind of command. Also Freddy is more in the 87-90 MPH range, he can reach back for 92-93 but it seems like he's sitting around 87 now a days.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
Buehrle is a control pitcher though, he has amazing natural life to his pitches which allows him to throw 86 but Freddy is just not cut out to be a control guy. If he doesn't have that 94-95 MPH heat to get him out of the tough situation, he's not going to be all that successful. His inconsistency has been proof of this. Buehrle can throw a fastball through a teacup with his insane control, Freddy just doesn't have that kind of command. Also Freddy is more in the 87-90 MPH range, he can reach back for 92-93 but it seems like he's sitting around 87 now a days.

I was being facetious about Beuhrle. Apologies for not using green.

Perhaps my memory is failing me, but I don't recall Freddy throwing in the mid-90's consistently since '04. He seemed to be in the low '90s a lot last season and did just fine.

You're right about him having two different fast ball "gears", though. He throws harder when he gets into trouble.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
Yeah, Buehrle never has been a mid-90's fastballer. Garcia used to be. And now that his is hitting 87-90, hes screwed.

Not necessarily. He'll need to change his approach if he ever wants to be dominant again, but saying that he's "screwed" is a bit short-sighted. Freddy wasn't throwing mid-90's fastballs last year and still managed to pitch pretty well.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 07:11 AM)
Not necessarily. He'll need to change his approach if he ever wants to be dominant again, but saying that he's "screwed" is a bit short-sighted. Freddy wasn't throwing mid-90's fastballs last year and still managed to pitch pretty well.

The main thing with Freddy last season, when he came up against high class opposition he raised his level of output and produced. When he came up against the likes of the Royals, for someone whether he took it easy, he got hit hard.

This season it's the other way around. Freddy needs to improve that pretty soon if he wants to pitch well in the playoffs for us.

Garland's ERA and WHIP splits by month:

April - 7.11 ERA, 1.52 WHIP

May - 5.40 ERA, 1.55 WHIP

June - 4.50 ERA, 1.29 WHIP

July - 2.35 ERA, 1.17 WHIP

now check THIS out:

taking out Garland's first two abysmal starts, his stats:

98.2 IP

48 ER

105 H

22 BB

7-2, 4.38 ERA, 1.29 WHIP since mid April - right in line with his career numbers....

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
Garland's ERA and WHIP splits by month:

April - 7.11 ERA, 1.52 WHIP

May - 5.40 ERA, 1.55 WHIP

June - 4.50 ERA, 1.29 WHIP

July - 2.35 ERA, 1.17 WHIP

now check THIS out:

taking out Garland's first two abysmal starts, his stats:

98.2 IP

48 ER

105 H

22 BB

7-2, 4.38 ERA, 1.29 WHIP since mid April - right in line with his career numbers....

yeah hes definitely been better than people have given him credit for....and if you ask me, not enough blame has been given to garcia

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Taking out the 2 worst starts for any pitcher will make them look much better. :P

lol, true, but I think Garland was quoted as saying that he was experiencing dead arm in April, and I think we can say that a trend is emerging with 100 innings in the book since the first two outings