Immigration rally draws only 10000 in Chicago

southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 07:32 AM)
I guess since the Repubs dropped the issue, it isn't an issue for the people here illegally anymore? i don't get it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...ocalchicago-hed

That's about right. Why protest when no one's going to pass anything through Congress this year, is what I assume most people figured. Also: I didn't hear of this new rally, and I live with a Mexican mother who watches the Mexican news. The fact that it wasn't advertised heavily probably hurt, too, as everyone and their disgusting Math teacher knew about it last Spring and went.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 07:32 AM)
I guess since the Repubs dropped the issue, it isn't an issue for the people here illegally anymore? i don't get it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...ocalchicago-hed

Isn't 10,000 people a lot of people for a rally? I don't get it. :unsure:

Considering the overkill of rallies and the lack of publicity this one got, I'd say that's a pretty good number.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Isn't 10,000 people a lot of people for a rally? I don't get it. :unsure:

Considering the overkill of rallies and the lack of publicity this one got, I'd say that's a pretty good number.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Given a lack of urgency, and sudden lack of attention to the issue, 10,000 people is impressive.

Actually you guys are making my point for me. All of the sudden no one cares. It was such a big deal that Repubs were using this as a distraction from everything, yet now the other side can't get more than 10,000 to a rally when they got 100,000 and 500,000 to their last two rallies.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
10,000 people cared enough to go to another rally even after the issue has lost its luster.

And you're still making threads about it so you care too! :P

I still care, because unlike most, I still realize even if it isn't on the Daily Show, it is still important. :bang I still believe the wrong thing was done by totally dropping this issue all of the sudden. I think it is pretty telling when the attendance drops by 98%.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
I still care, because unlike most, I still realize even if it isn't on the Daily Show, it is still important. :bang I still believe the wrong thing was done by totally dropping this issue all of the sudden. I think it is pretty telling when the attendance drops by 98%.

That's nonsense, and I'll call you on it. You're saying that because it isn't on the Daily Show, and attendance dropped off, "pro-immigration advocates" don't care anymore? Yeah, okay. They surely do care, and if Republicans were still debating the bill in Congress, there'd still be marches and protests. Right now, most of them realize that the fight is delayed, but they all care.

It'd be equally stupid to say, "Well, there weren't many anti-immigration marches -- at least not compared to the pro ones -- so that must mean that nobody wants to have 'stricter' laws!"

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)

Was this EVER a real issue? Or was this a media-spun issue that the douche-bags in Washington made a big deal of to get some mid-term election votes. It would take all of 5 seconds to "fix" the problem. Put up a wall, grant citizenship to anyone who can prove they've been here working for a couple years, pay back taxes for the years they've been here and stop screwing the system.

The reason that the problem isn't and won't get fixed anytime soon is that too many people from too many states rely on the cheap labor. If they became citizens they'd have to be paid like citizens and that'd put a dent into the economy (and the politicians in those states would have some pissed off voters).

I'm all for making certain illegals legal because they're honest people trying to make a better life for themselves and their family. However, most of them need to put the Mexican flag down, pay some taxes, learn some friggin english and become Americans, not Mexicans working in America.

Just my two cents.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
It'd be equally stupid to say, "Well, there weren't many anti-immigration marches -- at least not compared to the pro ones -- so that must mean that nobody wants to have 'stricter' laws!"

I believe the anti-immigration march here in Chicago a few months ago had 18 people. <_>