Time To Say Bye Bye To Javy

cav38

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was opposed to Javy the reliever given his failures with the Yanks in such a role but lately he's been so good the first few innings that perhaps swapping him and McCarthy in roles might improve us in TWO areas

IMO, this is the best idea I've heard in quite a while. It sounds well worth a try.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
At some point with him, do we just get to the "Let Cooper keep working with him and hope for the best" phase? Can't recall who, but at least one person was saying that Cooper has really been working with Vaz on improving his pitching with runners on base. We've seen what he can do for 5 innings, if he can just hold it together a little more and find a groove, he could really help us.

Then again, maybe I'm just hoping Cooper can do something he just can't do.

Thats been me and I saw major strides in Javy's game yesterday with runners on. He was using a higher leg kick (which is how he pitches with no one on) and it helps to keep his delivery slower without getting out in front and rolling his breaking balls.

I see absolutely no reason to move him from the rotation. I have a lot of faith in this guy turning it around and being a front line pitcher for us for a number of years. Call me insane, call me whatever you want but I've seen progress made and I expect it to continue to be made.

Sox fans will be thanking Ozzie and Coop for this later on in the season, just like they should already be thanking Ozz for being patient with BA (Something I have long said they had to do). I have no problem with McCarthy joining the rotation next year when we move Garcia for prospects and financial flexibility.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Thats been me and I saw major strides in Javy's game yesterday with runners on. He was using a higher leg kick (which is how he pitches with no one on) and it helps to keep his delivery slower without getting out in front and rolling his breaking balls.

I see absolutely no reason to move him from the rotation. I have a lot of faith in this guy turning it around and being a front line pitcher for us for a number of years. Call me insane, call me whatever you want but I've seen progress made and I expect it to continue to be made.

Sox fans will be thanking Ozzie and Coop for this later on in the season, just like they should already be thanking Ozz for being patient with BA (Something I have long said they had to do). I have no problem with McCarthy joining the rotation next year when we move Garcia for prospects and financial flexibility.

Right now, I think I'm closing in on just taking your word for it and hoping you're right. Partly because I really see no other option, BMac can't replace 3/5 of our starting rotation, and partly because Coop has done it before, and within a season even. I can't be the only one who noticed that Contreras put up ERA's of 5.8 and 5.7 in June and July of 05 before crushing the league in August and September. I just hope Coop can do it with this guy too. He has the stuff, just like Jose did.

The next big game Javy Vazquez wins will be the first in his major league career. This guy made his reputation pitching in front of 200 of his closest friends in Montreal. Ever since then, he's been below average. Coop will fix him has outlived its shelf-life. I was on another board a few days ago, and they had threads from a Yankee board 2 years ago. You could have changed the dates and the name of the teams, and you'd wouldn't know the difference between this year and 2004 with the Yankees. When Ozzie first approached Vazquez on the possibility of the Sox acquiring him, Javy was less than enthusiastic, wondering how he would do against the AL. That was the red flag. He has almost 200 decisions in the major leagues. What you see is what you get.

Personally, i think Javy should be traded to a National League team. He has to be an attractive option for a number of contending teams in that league and would instantly become the number one starter available. Vazquez has not only been a mediocre to bad pitcher this year but he brings a negative attitude to the team. Every fan feels like hes due for a blowup inning every game even if he is doing well and i suspect that his teamates feel the same way. If they traded Javy, they could get BMac stretched out and ready to start in a short time. This would save a ton of money and hopefully Javy would bring back some prospects or a major league caliber bat. I don't think there is anyone on this board that can rationally think that replacing Vazquez with BMac would be a downgrade. It would breathe fresh air into the rotation and if he could get on a roll like he did at the end of last season, it could be a big momentum builder.