And that's a White Sox loser

BobDylan

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
I see your point about Freddy and yes, that's lukewarm praise.

Milkman, I was there twice last year and we lost both times at KC. This is when we were #1 wire-to-wire and were supposedly invincible.

Sorry, but I don't "expect" us to sweep ANYBODY. It's always a bonus, but that's what it is: a bonus.

I DO expect us to take the series each time, especially from teams like KC. That served us well last year and would probably serve us well this year, except we haven't been doing it and with Detroit so far ahead, it's a little more urgent than that.

But KC has been one hot-hitting team these days--I'm sure you heard Hawk & DJ talking about that--so I'm not going to tank the season just because we didn't sweep them. This is baseball--you know that!

Watch, we'll end up sweeping the Yanks or something. That's how it always works out.

But I agree with you on Freddy; when I'm reduced to saying that our #2 starter (or whatever he is now) "wasn't awful," that ain't exactly inspiring.

First, I'd like to say that the season isn't over. I didn't say that.

As for the bold part, we're in a tight race here with 3 or 4 teams for 1 playoff spot. We're going to have to sweep some bad teams if we plan on playing baseball in October. So, we should start "expecting" some sweeps, especially against these AAA teams.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)

As for the bold part, we're in a tight race here with 3 or 4 teams for 1 playoff spot. We're going to have to sweep some bad teams if we plan on playing baseball in October. So, we should start "expecting" some sweeps, especially against these AAA teams.

Sweeps are hard whether it be against a good or bad team...Since it's a crap shoot, I'll take the sweep against a good team. However, if we don't sweep anyone, but win every series from here on out that puts us at 101 wins!!

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Sweeps are hard whether it be against a good or bad team...Since it's a crap shoot, I'll take the sweep against a good team. However, if we don't sweep anyone, but win every series from here on out that puts us at 101 wins!!

I'm pretty sure we won't be winning every series, especially with the way we've played the good teams this year.

We have to take advantage of the weak teams, and we don't do that enough.

playing the Jays in Toronto with Halladay pitching the first game will be a good test.

we should have at least Paulie back and maybe Thome.

winning 2 of 3 there -- and therefore 2 of 3 in all three series on this trip -- would be nice.

But we gotta get on a positive roll soon because we're fighting some quality teams for the wildcard and we obviously don't have that cushion we had last season.

It's just really hard to be optimistic when we have four starters who have been as ordinary as our four have been.

no way around that.

Let's see the Red Sox lost their Captain and catcher for possibly the rest of the season have a rotation that is getting hit pretty good and needed two miracles to beat Cleveland lost 3 of 4 at home to the A's..

The Twins were just crushed at home by Texas and lost their top pitcher for at least two weeks, Johan has been hit recently, Radke and Silva are shells of themselves and they have a carousel at #5 starter.

The Yanks are good but they have holes at the end of their rotation and in their middle bullpen.

Toronto is in the midst of a streak that we were in and they have a tough road the rest of the way.

Then there are the White Sox.

2 of these teams (assuming Det is a lock which I can not decide on) will make the playoffs. I like the White Sox chances......if they play better and I think they will.

boy... what a game...

I was drunk before it started... and then went on a bar crawl looking for a bar with satalite that has the game... I went through about 7 bars and took shots(Irish car bombs and tequila for the most part) at all of them before finding a bar that had the game... It turns out Welch Ave. Station had the game... but at that point I was so damn drunk I didn't even watch the game. I woke up on the floor with a big bruise on the side of my head... so I'm guessing I got punched in the face or got it when I passed out on the hard wood floor.

then I find out the sox lost... wtf.

Quickly reviewing our schedule and that of Boston/NY....if the Sox don't play at least .500 baseball over the next two weeks, we're going to find ourselves about 5 games out of the WC race. Boston has a 9 game stretch against the worst teams in the AL coming up, and the Yanks have 7 games against the Orioles, and 3 vs the Sox. Basically, it's now or never for this team to live up to their paper championship predictions.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
boy... what a game...

I was drunk before it started... and then went on a bar crawl looking for a bar with satalite that has the game... I went through about 7 bars and took shots(Irish car bombs and tequila for the most part) at all of them before finding a bar that had the game... It turns out Welch Ave. Station had the game... but at that point I was so damn drunk I didn't even watch the game. I woke up on the floor with a big bruise on the side of my head... so I'm guessing I got punched in the face or got it when I passed out on the hard wood floor.

then I find out the sox lost... wtf.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Sounds like an amazing and good time.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
bad night for us.

Boston wins on a miracle rally.

Detroit pulls ahead in the late innings and wins.

we spit the bit against the worst team in the league and make Teahen look like George Brett.

it's early August and we have four starters with ERAs at or above 5.

We are who we are -- and this year we simply might not be good enough.

Sad, but true.

Sigh, I really hope you're wrong but I don't see any holes in what was written :crying

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 01:23 AM)
Not to be an ass, but do we really need White Sox loser threads? Seems kinda depressing and who wants to talk about a loss?

we need to get our sox fired up, so YES

lets go, thome, konerko start playing or there will be no october

we have to play to win

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)

Yeah, and the team with the best record in baseball ought to expect to be able to sweep AAA teams also! If not, then they're just pretenders!

Oh, wait.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
Yeah, and the team with the best record in baseball ought to expect to be able to sweep AAA teams also! If not, then they're just pretenders!

Oh, wait.

The Tigers have been sweeping crappy teams this entire year. Pointing out one instance where they split isn't going to change the fact that we're not going to catch them and that we will have to sweep some bad teams if we want to win the WC.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
The Tigers have been sweeping crappy teams this entire year. Pointing out one instance where they split isn't going to change the fact that we're not going to catch them and that we will have to sweep some bad teams if we want to win the WC.

God, I can't believe we started the Second Half with our heads up our asses. We were right there with Detroit, now look at us!