SNL

cav38

I have to say, I'm an avid fan of SNL, but in the last few years it has really gone down the pooper. So I thought maybe myself and the rest of the SNL junkies could relive the good old days and list our favorite characters, sketches, and cast members. Post and discuss. I'll be doing more SNL related posts in the future, aswell as other great TV shows.

favorite characters: matt foley, harry caray, alex trebek, bennet brower, mary katherine gallagher, martha stewart, sean connery, neil diamond, deter

favorite sketches: bill brasky discussions, more cowbell, zagats, matt foley motivational speaker, weekend update, coneheads, the gap girls, schwetty balls (delicious dish), schiller visions, focus on beauty with lori davis, the herlihy boy

favorite cast members (in order): will ferrell, chris farley, jim belushi, phil hartman, adam sandler, rachel dratch, mike meyers, tracey morgan....theres really too many more to name

QUOTE(chisox08 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 04:16 AM)
I have to say, I'm an avid fan of SNL, but in the last few years it has really gone down the pooper. So I thought maybe myself and the rest of the SNL junkies could relive the good old days and list our favorite characters, sketches, and cast members. Post and discuss. I'll be doing more SNL related posts in the future, aswell as other great TV shows.

favorite characters: matt foley, harry caray, alex trebek, bennet brower, mary katherine gallagher, martha stewart, sean connery, neil diamond, deter

favorite sketches: bill brasky discussions, more cowbell, zagats, matt foley motivational speaker, weekend update, coneheads, the gap girls, schwetty balls (delicious dish), schiller visions, focus on beauty with lori davis, the herlihy boy

favorite cast members (in order): will ferrell, chris farley, jim belushi, phil hartman, adam sandler, rachel dratch, mike meyers, tracey morgan....theres really too many more to name

By far, the best sketch ever!

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90ochildstars.phtml

Well, Schmidt's Gay was a great skit.

Another one of my favorites that I never see is from when Alec Baldwin hosted. The skit was about an American spy plane that had an emergency landing in China (which I believe actually happened). And they're all treated extremely well by the Chinese, but Baldwin's character wants to try to take over the entire country.

"Let's just say I was keeping it warm."

Phil Hartman was the glue that held the show together in late 80s-early 90s. He was so spot-on with his parodies.

The show has always gone through a bad year here or there as they transitioned to a new cast, but personally, I think the show now is dead.

They have a rerun nearly every week even during the year and it's hard to stay current and topical when a big event happened weeks before.

Remember when Monday morning everyone talked about a hilarious skit on SNL. When was the last time you laughed out loud at SNL. They still have 2 years to go before the next election. SNL usually does well in a presidential election year, but I think the show is passed its prime.

Probably because I was in high school, but. . .

I loved the Ladies Man. Loved.

I also like the very early stuff. Roseanne Roseanna Danna, Todd and Lisa, and Weekend Update ("Jane you ill-informed slut. Who did you have to sleep with to get this job.")

One of my fav's that is the Bill Clinton-Warlord skit back before Clinton was prez.

Another one that I remember really liking, though I never see it on TV, is the Saddam Hussein skit w/ Will Farrell (actually, there may have been more than one, i don't remember) as Saddam. It was about the UN guys searching Iraq and they find Saddam's diary, and it talks about how much he loves the UN guys and how he's missed them, etc. I remember thinking it was really funny, but the last time I saw it was a few years ago now.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
Probably because I was in high school, but. . .

I loved the Ladies Man. Loved.

I also like the very early stuff. Roseanne Roseanna Danna, Todd and Lisa, and Weekend Update ("Jane you ill-informed slut. Who did you have to sleep with to get this job.")

Ever see the one where Mick Jagger plays Keith Richards and Mike Myers plays Mick Jagger for a debate on Weekend Update?

"Mick, you ignorant slut" (in heavy English accent)

-Mick Jagger as Richards

QUOTE(juddling @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
A Top 10 list of Will Ferrell's funniest SNL skits (with video)

Not exactly my top 10 but there was one or two i hadn't seen before. Actually, any of his Jeopardy skits had me rolling.

Ferrell was a damn good straight man in those Jeopardy skits.

As for some of my faves:

Little chocolate donuts -- the breakfast of champions

Eddie Murphy's reggae band at the VFW

Jeopardy

Patrick Stewart as the erotic cake salesman

Farley's motivational speaking / slapstick humor for a cheap laugh

Weekend Update (any of them without Jimmy "Ohmygod, HAHAHAHAHA I'm breaking character!" Fallon)

The "You be careful with that" toy salesman

But they really don't hold a candle to In Living Color's "Wrath of Farrakhan".

/much bigger fan of In Living Color and Mr. Show than I am of 90s SNL.

QUOTE(juddling @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
A Top 10 list of Will Ferrell's funniest SNL skits (with video)

Not exactly my top 10 but there was one or two i hadn't seen before. Actually, any of his Jeopardy skits had me rolling.

OH God! The Old Prospector/Gus Chiggins skit is great! Too bad they never actually aired it on TV; it's only shown on the special features of the Best of Will Farrell DVD. And here's an FYI for everyone, the "Get off the Shed" skit was something Farrell used in his audition to get on the show, and it was so funny, they actually made it into a real skit.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
Well, Schmidt's Gay was a great skit.

Another one of my favorites that I never see is from when Alec Baldwin hosted. The skit was about an American spy plane that had an emergency landing in China (which I believe actually happened). And they're all treated extremely well by the Chinese, but Baldwin's character wants to try to take over the entire country.

"Let's just say I was keeping it warm."

Milkman you can find this skit on the Best of SNL: Alec Baldwin DVD.

It also includes the outrageously funny sketches:

-Tony Bennett Show

-Joe Pesci Show (with Baldwin as DeNiro)

-Your sketch

-The "gay voicemail greeting" sketch

-The "zingers"

And a couple of other classics. Priceless. Well worth at least a rental.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
Milkman you can find this skit on the Best of SNL: Alec Baldwin DVD.

It also includes the outrageously funny sketches:

-Tony Bennett Show

-Joe Pesci Show (with Baldwin as DeNiro)

-Your sketch

-The "gay voicemail greeting" sketch

-The "zingers"

And a couple of other classics. Priceless. Well worth at least a rental.

I'm glad it's on the DVD because it certainly deserves to be, but I was looking more along the lines of something free on the internet :P