Switching Fields

aboz56

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
You know, out of all the potential "Leadoff hitter/LF" names to come up, that one might actually make the most sense, in that he could be available, the Red Sox have several outfielders already, they need SP, and have money to take on a veteran.

Yeah, I tend to like the possibility of a Freddy Garcia for Coco Crisp trade.

Crisp isn't an ideal leadoff hitter, in that his OBP probably won't be higher than .350, but it'll be in the right around .340. He's been bitten by injuries this year, and I don't think he's fully recovered from that (hand?) injury he had early on.

I also like that his defense would be a big upgrade over Podsednik's. IIRC last season he was rated as the best defensive LFer. He's actually a pretty similar player to Curtis Granderson, except that Crisp can steal 15-20 bags a year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
You know, out of all the potential "Leadoff hitter/LF" names to come up, that one might actually make the most sense, in that he could be available, the Red Sox have several outfielders already, they need SP, and have money to take on a veteran.

A Boston Herald writer mentioned a possible trade for Freddy the other day in the offseason for Theo to do.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 04:21 AM)
A solid, proven veteran starting pitcher for what is probably a 6th outfielder? Ummm, yeah, I'd say they'd jump on that.

a 6th outfielder? have you even looked at his stats, or better yet his play on the field? i'm going to go out on a limb and say you haven't. Also im pretty sure they said the same thing about Steve Finley and hes had a pretty great career *note: im not saying Denorfia is going to a be a charter memeber of the 300-300 club, just that he isn't a 4th OFer, also didn't they say that about Willy Mo? and now hes just coming into his prime for the red sox*. Freddy has an option for next year and after that hes a FA, he has the least upside of our starting staff, its pretty apparent his fastball is no longer fast, and he constantly shows up his team mates and we need to open a spot for McCarthy. If we got Denorfia we have him for 5-6years, that keeps payroll down, and contiunes to keep us in contetion, by adding young cheap talented players it also allows us to keep Fields and Sweeney down at AAA to develop even more.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(beautox @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
a 6th outfielder? have you even looked at his stats, or better yet his play on the field? i'm going to go out on a limb and say you haven't. Also im pretty sure they said the same thing about Steve Finley and hes had a pretty great career *note: im not saying Denorfia is going to a be a charter memeber of the 300-300 club, just that he isn't a 4th OFer, also didn't they say that about Willy Mo? and now hes just coming into his prime for the red sox*. Freddy has an option for next year and after that hes a FA, he has the least upside of our starting staff, its pretty apparent his fastball is no longer fast, and he constantly shows up his team mates and we need to open a spot for McCarthy. If we got Denorfia we have him for 5-6years, that keeps payroll down, and contiunes to keep us in contetion, by adding young cheap talented players it also allows us to keep Fields and Sweeney down at AAA to develop even more.

Dunn, Freel, Griffey, Hollandsworth ... I stand corrected. Fifth outfielder.