Switching Fields

aboz56

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
I don't know why Crawford would be available, isn't he signed at a fair contract for a player of his calibur through like 2010?

The Devil Rays could move him considering they have about 14 OFers on the team or ready to be promoted. We could trade some of our own prospects with prospects we acquire for Garcia, and hopefully there you have it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
The whole idea behind Crawford being available I believe is that a.) He's not going to be resigned by Tampa if he hits the FA Market, b.) his value in a trade is very high around the entire league right now, c.) Tampa isn't going to be ready to compete in the AL until a few years down the road, i.e. right around when Crawford is looking at leaving as a FA, and d.) They have a lot of other potential outfield talent heading up through their system.

All fair points. They also have a ton of position prospects at every position in their system, however that means it's going to take a steep price of young pitching to get him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
All fair points. They also have a ton of position prospects at every position in their system, however that means it's going to take a steep price of young pitching to get him.

Yup. Which is why everything said thus far has been..."You want Crawford? It's Ervin Santana + a couple more. Or it's Brandon McCarthy plus a couple more." And so on, depending on who's asking. They have no obvious need to trade him, they're not going to win the AL East for a couple more years, so they can hold out for another Kazmir and even their fans can't complain, because it's the right move.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
Let Pods go and sign Carlos Lee. Rectify the mistake that we made two years ago.

Then we can trade Brian Anderson and put Jerry Owens in CF, rectifying another mistake we made this season.

Lugo would be a nice pickup although I think he's going to get 8 millin dollars a year and he might not be worth that for long. Uribe is actually a worse player than cesar Izturis so batting him 1 or 2 would be suicide in the standings. As far as locking up Crede goes, Boras doesn't do that. For anyone. He will test FA. Next year's leadoff hitter is not on this team yet in my opinion

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)

I think their FO is a little more trade-friendly than they were last year with that douchebag GM they had. Sure, it's going to be a steep price, but it'd be for a premier LF and leadoff hitter in baseball who's only getting better. It'd take at least one of our best prospects, but hopefully we'd get some good prospects in return for Freddy.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
Lugo would be a nice pickup although I think he's going to get 8 millin dollars a year and he might not be worth that for long. Uribe is actually a worse player than cesar Izturis so batting him 1 or 2 would be suicide in the standings. As far as locking up Crede goes, Boras doesn't do that. For anyone. He will test FA. Next year's leadoff hitter is not on this team yet in my opinion

I'd rather have the s***ty offense of Uribe than the s***ty defense of Lugo.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
I think their FO is a little more trade-friendly than they were last year with that douchebag GM they had. Sure, it's going to be a steep price, but it'd be for a premier LF and leadoff hitter in baseball who's only getting better. It'd take at least one of our best prospects, but hopefully we'd get some good prospects in return for Freddy.

Not a bad idea, however I don't know if we could get enough for Freddy to offset the price we'd give up for Crawford, and plus our system is already looking depleted in depth at the moment.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)

I'd rather have the s***ty offense of Uribe than the s***ty defense of Lugo.

The Angels tried to get Crawford this year and were told that they'd need to give up Ervin Santana and Brandon Wood. We'd have to give up more than one prospect. It'd probably cost 2 of our best prospects plus B-Mac.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
Not a bad idea, however I don't know if we could get enough for Freddy to offset the price we'd give up for Crawford, and plus our system is already looking depleted in depth at the moment.

Well, we're already locked up at most positions for a while. Getting Crawford would make Fields obsolete, especially since we have rights to Crede through 2008. Broadway doesn't seem to have a place on this team for a while since the starters are locked up through 2007. And even though most people don't want to see him go, Sweeney might be useless to us, too, if we give Dye an extension.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
The Angels tried to get Crawford this year and were told that they'd need to give up Ervin Santana and Brandon Wood. We'd have to give up more than one prospect. It'd probably cost 2 of our best prospects plus B-Mac.

Like I said, it'd cost us at least one of our top prospects. We'd then add on the prospects we get for Garcia and maybe even Pods.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
Well, we're already locked up at most positions for a while. Getting Crawford would make Fields obsolete, especially since we have rights to Crede through 2008. Broadway doesn't seem to have a place on this team for a while since the starters are locked up through 2007. And even though most people don't want to see him go, Sweeney might be useless to us, too, if we give Dye an extension.

You had me until Sweeney.....between Dye and Thome's age (Dye will be a good hitter for another several years, but his play in RF is making me think he'll end up taking Thome's spot at DH), I think letting Sweeney go wouldn't be such a smart idea.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
You had me until Sweeney.....between Dye and Thome's age (Dye will be a good hitter for another several years, but his play in RF is making me think he'll end up taking Thome's spot at DH), I think letting Sweeney go wouldn't be such a smart idea.

Sweeney is the last guy I want to get rid of, but I was just throwing that out there.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Sweeney is the last guy I want to get rid of, but I was just throwing that out there.

If Dye were a few years younger, I'd be in. But Dye is turning into a DH before our eyes, and we'll need one since Thome isn't exactly a young guy, so Sweeney has a future on this team, even if we got Crawford somehow.

I just wonder how much the Sox are willing to spend on a new LF or SS when Uribe and Pods are fairly cheap. Crede is due a raise and all the escalating contracts will go up next year, so it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
I just wonder how much the Sox are willing to spend on a new LF or SS when Uribe and Pods are fairly cheap. Crede is due a raise and all the escalating contracts will go up next year, so it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Well, trading any one of our starters would free up about $10 million, depending on whether or not the other team takes on the whole contract. I'm not sure exactly how much Crawford makes, and I know Crede won't be getting a ridiculous amount of money. So, I doubt the payroll would have to increase that much.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)

At least based on his current production, I'm not sure that in 2 years, Uribe will still be considered cheap to my eyes.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
Well, trading any one of our starters would free up about $10 million, depending on whether or not the other team takes on the whole contract. I'm not sure exactly how much Crawford makes, and I know Crede won't be getting a ridiculous amount of money. So, I doubt the payroll would have to increase that much.

Here's Crawford's deal:

Set to make 4 Mil in 2007

5.25 Mil in 2008

Team Option for 2009 worth 8.25 Mil with a 2.5 million buyout

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
Here's Crawford's deal:

Set to make 4 Mil in 2007

5.25 Mil in 2008

Team Option for 2009 worth 8.25 Mil with a 2.5 million buyout

So, considering we get someone to take on Garcia's contract, we'd have $6 million there, and I doubt Crede gets a raise of that much in one offseason.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
So, considering we get someone to take on Garcia's contract, we'd have $6 million there, and I doubt Crede gets a raise of that much in one offseason.

Crede is making 2.6 mil this year, I'd say based on his numbers this year he'll get 5.5 million easily next season if he went to arbitration with the Sox. And in all likelihood it could be more.

Pods is arbitration-eligible, so he most likely is gone because for what he brings to the table he'll cost way too much. People around here are really down on Uribe, but until the last couple of weeks he's been great defensively, and has 50+ RBI. He's streaky, but may hit 20 homers and have 70+ RBI. I'd take that any day with a glove as good as his. If the Sox were ever going to upgrade Uribe, its going to be a guy like Tejada. They went after Vizquel last year, but Uribe would have wound up at second, third and SS. KW loves him. Another thing I don't understand is why is it assumed that Fields has tremendous power and Sweeney has none? Fields has 5 more homers than Sweeney in about 40 more plate appearances.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Another thing I don't understand is why is it assumed that Fields has tremendous power and Sweeney has none? Fields has 5 more homers than Sweeney in about 40 more plate appearances.

Power is not just homeruns, it's also doubles, triples, etc. This year alone, Sweeney has a .459 SLG%, while Fields is at .525. Thats a considerable difference.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Another thing I don't understand is why is it assumed that Fields has tremendous power and Sweeney has none? Fields has 5 more homers than Sweeney in about 40 more plate appearances.

Maybe because this is the first year that Sweeney has shown any power at all and he's playing in a park where Willie Harris regularly homered. That could have something to do with it.

Personally speaking, I'm not very concerned with Sweeney's power (or lack thereof) at this point. If he can hit for average, get on base, run the bases well and play good defense, that's fine by me. We've got enough players who hit the ball out of the park.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
Power is not just homeruns, it's also doubles, triples, etc. This year alone, Sweeney has a .459 SLG%, while Fields is at .525. Thats a considerable difference.

There have been posts on this site stating Fields could give the Sox 20 homers next year. He may not get 20 at Charlotte. Sweeney doesn't fan nearly as much and is a couple years younger. I bet if he was still in Charlotte in 2008 his slugging pct. would make Fields' look like Ron Kittle's batting average. Sweeney is the better prospect and will be a far superior hitter in the major leagues. Sweeney will have more career homers than Fields as well. You heard it here first.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
Maybe because this is the first year that Sweeney has shown any power at all and he's playing in a park where Willie Harris regularly homered. That could have something to do with it.

Personally speaking, I'm not very concerned with Sweeney's power (or lack thereof) at this point. If he can hit for average, get on base, run the bases well and play good defense, that's fine by me. We've got enough players who hit the ball out of the park.

Its also the first year Fields has been considered anything but the reincarnation of Drew Henson.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
There have been posts on this site stating Fields could give the Sox 20 homers next year. He may not get 20 at Charlotte. Sweeney doesn't fan nearly as much and is a couple years younger. I bet if he was still in Charlotte in 2008 his slugging pct. would make Fields' look like Ron Kittle's batting average. Sweeney is the better prospect and will be a far superior hitter in the major leagues. Sweeney will have more career homers than Fields as well. You heard it here first.

This is the only thing that I might disagree with but I definitely think it's a possibility. I agree 100 percent with everything else you said.

Edited by Rowand44

With Sweeney being ready by mid 2007 and Brian A, the sox will be set long term in the OF. Dye should also get a 2, 3 yr deal after his option is picked up in 2007. By 2009 or 2010, Dye could be a DH. By that time, a prospect should come along that fills either LF or RF so Dye can DH.

Fields won't be getting much time in LF for the White Sox. I don't see the sox having him out there long term or to start the 2007 season. It's more likely he'll be traded for pitching that's near ready for the bigs--think players who had solid seasons in AA ala Lance Broadway or just moved up from high A to AA. His ability to play 3b and LF will only increase his value. Sweeney should start 2007 in AAA and be ready in case of injury.

If the sox got a leadoff hitter at SS--unlikely, as Uribe's glove and ability to carry a team with his bat for long stretches, and few leadoff hitters are available that would be a sure fire upgrade at SS, after factoring in avg, OBP, fielding--then Fields could possibly be looked at for LF. Jimmy Rollins isn't the sure fire upgrade over Uribe. If Rollins was a lock .290-.300 hitter, then I'd say trade for him. But he's not.

In the short term though, I could see a trade for Coco Crisp. Freddy Garcia could be bait. The Red sox not winning the World Series this yr could go for Torii Hunter in CF and few SP's are available, which they need. IMO, Crisp's 2006 yr is a fluke. And Crisp should rebound to his 2004 and 2005 yrs--.297/.344/.446 and .300/.345/.465 lines playing his normal LF. Crisp would give the sox speed, defense and top of the order hitting.

With Fields and Pods being dealt for prospects [getting a SS along with pitching prospects would be nice as Valido hasn't progressed this yr], and Freddy for a major league LFer, the sox would be sitting in good position for 2007 and beyond.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
In the short term though, I could see a trade for Coco Crisp. Freddy Garcia could be bait. The Red sox not winning the World Series this yr could go for Torii Hunter in CF and few SP's are available, which they need. IMO, Crisp's 2006 yr is a fluke. And Crisp should rebound to his 2004 and 2005 yrs--.297/.344/.446 and .300/.345/.465 lines playing his normal LF. Crisp would give the sox speed, defense and top of the order hitting.

You know, out of all the potential "Leadoff hitter/LF" names to come up, that one might actually make the most sense, in that he could be available, the Red Sox have several outfielders already, they need SP, and have money to take on a veteran.