Dodgers looking for a guy like Gload?

beck72

The tidbit about the Dodgers needing a lefty like GLoad is buried near the end.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

This seems like speculation. Though why would he throw it out there if Mark hadn't heard something? Dye getting hit by the pitch the other day could have exposed a hole in RF--not to mention getting another OFer who can hit LHP well and play LF opposite of Pods. A guy like Preston Wilson or Jose Cruz Jr,--guys who hav cleared waivers or are free agents and be locked in place prior to a deal for Gload--could play LF vs LHP [and presumably play a better CF than Mack] and be a guy with some pop from the right side off the bench. With rosters expanding in a few weeks, a guy like Rogowski from the minors could give the sox what Gload does now.

It depends on what LA would trade for Ross. They certainly are in "win now mode".

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
A prospect for Gload I would do. Sign Cruz Jr. to be the backup OF, and Rogowski can be the 1B when rosters expand like you said.

Ned Colletti has shown he'll trade prospects to win now.

If LA is looking for a LH bat-ie someone who hits RHP well--Gload has done that this yr [and Cruz failed miserably at]. Someone readily available like Cruz, jr. makes sense. Strengthen the bench, esp vs. LHP, and overall OF defense, and get a prospect

If PK did go down between now and the end of the yr, Thome would likely play 1b anyway with every game important. And the Sox could then go with Josh Fields as DH. Gload is a luxury at this point and if they could get a decent prospect, I could see a trade happening.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
No thank you. Seriously.

Unless the Dodgers cover that entire horrible contract, I don't want to see Furcal anyway near Chicago.

Here's a hypthetical situation.

If the Sox could trade Garcia in the off-season for prospects e.g to the Pads for Carillo and someone else, then trade Uribe and Pods in another deal, if the Dodgers paid a bit of the contract, so you would have to pay about $9-10M each season (same as you would for say Jimmy Rollins), would you consider acquiring Furcal than instead.

I really think KW's going to be busy again this off-season changing the dynamics, and you could see at least 2 new hitters in this lineup.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)

If the Sox could trade Garcia in the off-season for prospects e.g to the Pads for Carillo and someone else, then trade Uribe and Pods in another deal, if the Dodgers paid a bit of the contract, so you would have to pay about $9-10M each season (same as you would for say Jimmy Rollins), would you consider acquiring Furcal than instead.

I really think KW's going to be busy again this off-season changing the dynamics, and you could see at least 2 new hitters in this lineup.

Do the Sox really have enough in the budget to cover bail for Furcal? DUIs aren't exactly cheap now a days.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)

No, I wouldn't. As far as I understand, the point of trading Garcia is to trade him while he still has any value at all as a 'big game pitcher' and to dump his contract. Adding Furcal where we would pay him 9-10 million would mean we aren't dumping any contract, and still have nearly 100 million tied up in 15 players or so. If we traded Uribe (who is better defensively than Furcal) and Pods, we'd be saving probably about 5 million (without looking at the numbers, so I don't know how accurate that is), and thats without including whoever we'd get from the Padres.

It just doesn't work out for me.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
No, I wouldn't. As far as I understand, the point of trading Garcia is to trade him while he still has any value at all as a 'big game pitcher' and to dump his contract. Adding Furcal where we would pay him 9-10 million would mean we aren't dumping any contract, and still have nearly 100 million tied up in 15 players or so. If we traded Uribe (who is better defensively than Furcal) and Pods, we'd be saving probably about 5 million (without looking at the numbers, so I don't know how accurate that is), and thats without including whoever we'd get from the Padres.

Since when is Garcia a salary dump? You don't trade him while his value is high simply so you can get rid of the contract, you trade his ass now because you have someone better than him waiting in the wings. The Sox aren't exactly in Financial trouble here, they don't have a lot of big money long term contracts so I really don't think they have to worry about that. If the fact that we'd only clear $5M is the only reason you wouldn't make a deal then I'm not so sure I agree with that.

I personally wouldn't want Furcal because he's a danger to himself and others, if he wasn't a f***tard then I'd probably make such a deal.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)

I suppose it depends a lot on whether Josh Fields is going to be the everyday LF next season. If so, SS seems like the only real option to get a new leadoff hitter.

If we do trade Garcia, we aren't just not to use that money that we will save and not put it to any use. Sure some players here will get raises, but the payroll has gone up every season, and with the great attendances we've been having, I don't see any reason for that to change.

It just depends on what KW decides to do with thay payroll room if he does move a big salary like Garcia. He's certainly shown in the last few seasons he'll go into the trade market if he wants his guy.

I also think with what has happened with Uribe this season, and the questions being asked of him being in Ozzie's doghouse, even though that's probably not the case, he may not be here next season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
Since when is Garcia a salary dump? You don't trade him while his value is high simply so you can get rid of the contract, you trade his ass now because you have someone better than him waiting in the wings.

I consider Garcia to be a salary dump because he's making 10 million next year, and the Sox know that BMac can at least duplicate his current numbers while making a much lower price, allowing them to invest money elsewhere.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
If the fact that we'd only clear $5M is the only reason you wouldn't make a deal then I'm not so sure I agree with that.

I didn't mean that was the only reason I wouldn't make the deal, although I see how it could sound that way. While I think Furcal is a decent shortstop, there's just no way I can justify having him on the roster and paying him a salary to rival Paul Konerko and even Jim Thome. Even if the Sox are only paying 10 million of it, I think that the money can be put to a much better use elsewhere.

Furcal is a solid leadoff man, and consistantly puts up an OBP in the .350 range while stealing a handful of bases at a normally high rate. However, when you factor in his ridiculous contract and the fact that he's had multiple DUI's, I just wouldn't want him on the team.

I think the Izturis trade cemented Furcal's spot as LAD's shortstop. Unless the Dodgers really fall in love with Lugo and make him a lucrative offer this offseason making him their shortstop going forward.

With Kent and Nomar back healthy, it seems they have a glut of infielders. Of course either could be back on the DL at any moment. Ross would have a tough time finding playing time, especially with no DH.

1B Nomar, Kent

2B Lugo, Kent

SS Furcal, Lugo

3B Betemit, Mueller

I still think Ross Gload has it in him to be the starting 1st baseman for a big league team if he ever gets the shot. He controls the bat really well, doesn't have the power of our guys, but should be able to hit .300+ with moderate power over a full season if he's given the shot. It's sort of a shame that the 2 guys in front of him are just so bloody good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
I still think Ross Gload has it in him to be the starting 1st baseman for a big league team if he ever gets the shot. He controls the bat really well, doesn't have the power of our guys, but should be able to hit .300+ with moderate power over a full season if he's given the shot. It's sort of a shame that the 2 guys in front of him are just so bloody good.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
Lugo would be nice in a trade for Gload.

Lugo for Gload and a PTBNL.

By the way...

If it happens...

I called it.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53026

Lugo is a FA after this year who is looking for BIG bucks (with crap defense), so this deal would never happen.

While I'd love to have Lugo's speed at shortstop, he is still an erratic fielder.

If PK went down, Thome would not EVER play 1st base for an extended period of time. It is possible Rogo or even Fields would get a look at the position. Doubt they'd do it with Fields, because we all know PK goes back to first when he gets healthy.

Josh Fields future (if it's in Chicago and GOD I HOPE IT IS, he's a great kid) is in left field. Fields can steal bases, but isn't a burner like Pods, so if we moved Fields out there then I'd want to supplement Pods speed at short-stop.

He could be a faster Shawn Casey.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
That sounds about right. In a full season, he could probably be a .290-.300 guy in avg, 15-20 HR. He'd walk less than Casey, but he'd steal a few bases.

I'm thinking a Shea Hillenbrand type player minus the attitude and plus a bit of speed.

I agree with this 100%. I love Gload and would hate to see him go, but he could start in a lot of places. I was a little surprise the Cubs did not try to get Gload as a cheap replacement when DLee went down. But then again, the Cubs are stupid and nothing should surprise me with them.