Sox lose game 1 to Tigers

CYGarland

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
Real simple: where's the passion and intensity on this team?

I think some heads have gotten rather large because of what was accomplished last year. I wish I could find the quotes from Buehrle and Crede on Friday before that first game against the Twins. They were acting like it was April or May.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
I think some heads have gotten rather large because of what was accomplished last year. I wish I could find the quotes from Buehrle and Crede on Friday before that first game against the Twins. They were acting like it was April or May.

Buerhle said it wasn't a big series, and T. Hunter said the Twins were so amped up for it that he was nervous they'd be too intense.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
Conteras 9-0 in the first half, 3-6 in the 2nd half.

Beltin Bill Melton thinks Contreras has a back problem, and he is dropping down a lot more.

This is trouble. I'm just hoping Garland keeps the ship afloat.

Well, a possible back problem explains Contreras' issues, but how about Vazquez, Buerhle & Garcia? we lost 3 of 4 games with our pitchers giving up at least 7 runs. Our offense scored more than 3 runs only once

and thanks to Garland we won that 4-1. We need to see if Mark can put together some back to back quality starts and if Freddie can give up less than 5 runs. if so we might still win this series.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
No need to get mad...just got beat by a better and hungrier team tonight. The ship is taking on water, but it can be salvaged...plenty of hope left as long as you don't think about our starting pitching.

It's difficult not to think about our starting pitching when it's the reason we're World Series champions, commands a sizable portion of our payroll, and has had such high expectations set upon them.

Ha, to think, about a month ago I was criticized for suggesting Santana was far and beyond the pitcher Contreras is. There's a legitimate ace.

This team looks absolutely fatigued. I can't even begin to count how many foul balls our hitters have hit to the opposite field. The bat speed is slowing down right now, and this is the point of the season where the adrenaline of being in a pennant race has to give you that extra boost. Unfortunately, it's nowhere to be found with our guys right now.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
If what Melton is saying is true, how long has his back been giving him problems? If it's been a while, I'll be pissed beyond belief that we didn't get B-mac stretched out a longgggggg time ago.

Where was this problem in his last start against the Tigers?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
This team looks absolutely fatigued. I can't even begin to count how many foul balls our hitters have hit to the opposite field. The bat speed is slowing down right now, and this is the point of the season where the adrenaline of being in a pennant race has to give you that extra boost. Unfortunately, it's nowhere to be found with our guys right now.

Where was this problem in his last start against the Tigers?

The foul balls are more a product of pitchers throwing us low and away, and our guys trying to lift and pull.