Is the Starting pitching back?

JERMAINEDYE4MVP

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
I don't ultimately trust that he'll keep it up this year, I'd rather have a good option in case of a game where we need to replace our starter, and, yeah.

Keep what up? The guy had 2 horrendous months, he's actually been very good more often than he's been very bad. The same can not be said for Buehrle and Garcia. When going into the playoffs you want your hottest pitchers taking the bump for you like the Sox did with Contreras last year. Vazquez is white hot right now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
Keep what up? The guy had 2 horrendous months, he's actually been very good more often than he's been very bad. The same can not be said for Buehrle and Garcia. When going into the playoffs you want your hottest pitchers taking the bump for you like the Sox did with Contreras last year. Vazquez is white hot right now.

ive been a big backer of vazquez most of hte year....and i said it during his bad stretch and ill say it again...vazquez's bad streak was one of the most unlucky stretches ive seen in baseball

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)

I disagree, and a month ago, you did, too.

"Mental midget!"

We'll see how it goes. It'll all be Ozzie's choices, anyway.

A lot can change in a month.

Plus the risk of having Javy in the pen is that he may never pitch a meaningful inning.

Right now I think that Garcia would have to be the guy going to the pen, because he is just to inconsistent. Also in the pen he would be able to let his fastball go and maybe he would regain some of the lost velocity and be a better pitcher.

If the Sox make the playoffs, their success will greatly depend on the games Javy starts.

Personally I believe in Javy, and I have for the entire season even when most people wanted to ship him off for nothing. If he gets comfortable, which he seems to be finally getting in Chicago, we may have one of the top starters in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
I disagree, and a month ago, you did, too.

"Mental midget!"

We'll see how it goes. It'll all be Ozzie's choices, anyway.

I'm confused as to how you disagree with the statistics.

MONTH ERA WHIP BAA IP/GS

April: 3.67 0.93 .211 6.75

May: 3.99 1.23 .243 6.39

June: 7.50 1.77 .338 6.00

July: 6.82 1.55 .297 6.07

Aug: 3.41 1.27 .239 6.17

Sept: 1.80 0.80 .137 7.50

Last 8 Starts:

ERA WHIP K:BB

2.94 1.13 50:18

Over his last 8 starts Javy has been outstanding, what is there to disagree with there? Garcia is a bad pitcher and Buehrle has been pretty brutal over the past 3 months and hasn't been able to find an ounce of consistency. The playoffs are all about "what have you done for me lately" and as of right now Buehrle and Garcia are the odd men out. If you go to a 4 man then Buehrle should definately be used but I really wouldn't want him going anywhere near the first 2 games of any series, you need to set a tone and Buehrle is not the man for the job.

Honestly are you bringing stats to a Vazquez discussion?

Are you unaware that the only reason he is winning is because of his run support, he has never pitched a good game for the White Sox and Brandon McCarthy is 100million times better and if he started we would already have clinched being in the playoffs and the whole world series would be cancelled because they would just give the Sox the trophy.

End argument.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
Honestly are you bringing stats to a Vazquez discussion?

Are you unaware that the only reason he is winning is because of his run support, he has never pitched a good game for the White Sox and Brandon McCarthy is 100million times better and if he started we would already have clinched being in the playoffs and the whole world series would be cancelled because they would just give the Sox the trophy.

End argument.

TRADE VAZQUEZ AND KEEP GARCIA. ATLEAST GARCIA IS CONSISTENT

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
TRADE VAZQUEZ AND KEEP GARCIA. ATLEAST GARCIA IS CONSISTENT

Vazquez is streaky, but at least he has the talent to be an ace, and he has shown it in the first, and now last month of the season. Garcia is consistently crappy, and has not had a quality start in a long time. In fact, I'd think this team would be much better off with Garcia not on the playoff roster. He sucks in the rotation, and he'd just suck out of the pen al well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
The thing is, I can't see Freddy shutting anyone down and I like to know if we have a guy on the mound that he's capable of shutting a guy down when he has his A game. Freddy's A game right now consists of 3-4 runs in 7 innings. Thats a good game right there, but I'm spoiled (hell I'll admit it) and when one of our pitchers throws an A game, I think they are capable of it being a 8-9 inning game with 0-3 runs (usually 1-2).

:P