Is the Starting pitching back?

JERMAINEDYE4MVP

Its better and I got to admit, I'm feeling a lot better because Vazquez/Garland/Contreras when pitching like they have been the past couple starts give us 3 formidable guys to throw out in the playoffs.

When it comes to Buehrle/Garcia I got very little faith. Same can be said for anyone in our pen not named MacDougall, Thorton or Jenks.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
Its better and I got to admit, I'm feeling a lot better because Vazquez/Garland/Contreras when pitching like they have been the past couple starts give us 3 formidable guys to throw out in the playoffs.

When it comes to Buehrle/Garcia I got very little faith. Same can be said for anyone in our pen not named MacDougall, Thorton or Jenks.

I think that about sums it up right there.

garland 9ip 0er

vazquez 5.2ip 2er

contreras 2.2ip 5er

buehrle 7.1ip 1er

gacia 7ip 5er

garland 8ip 4er

vazquez 6ip 2er

contreras 5ip 2er

buehrle 6ip 3er

garcia 7ip 5 er

-------------------------

garland - 6ip 1er

vazuez - 8ip 1er

contreras - 8ip 1er

buehrle - 4ip 4er

garcia - 6.1ip 2er

garland - 6ip 1er

vazuez - 7ip 2er

contreras - 8ip 1er

Especially the last 8 stars the Sox pitchers have done incredible; an ERA of 2.20

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)

I agree, although freddy seems to at the very least keep us in the games, while Buerlhe has been the most inconsistent

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
I agree, although freddy seems to at the very least keep us in the games, while Buerlhe has been the most inconsistent

The thing is, I can't see Freddy shutting anyone down and I like to know if we have a guy on the mound that he's capable of shutting a guy down when he has his A game. Freddy's A game right now consists of 3-4 runs in 7 innings. Thats a good game right there, but I'm spoiled (hell I'll admit it) and when one of our pitchers throws an A game, I think they are capable of it being a 8-9 inning game with 0-3 runs (usually 1-2).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
The thing is, I can't see Freddy shutting anyone down

You can say that about 4 of our 5 starters. As a matter of fact when will we see our starters not named Garland actually put up a 0 against the opposition? Hell Count was the last to do it and he did it on Aug 11 (1 month, 1 day from now) But as of right now, I'll settle a TON for our starters to pitch well (1-3 earned).

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
You can say that about 4 of our 5 starters. As a matter of fact when will we see our starters not named Garland actually put up a 0 against the opposition? Hell Count was the last to do it and he did it on Aug 11 (1 month, 1 day from now) But as of right now, I'll settle a TON for our starters to pitch well (1-3 earned).

Shutting down and shutting out are two different things sir.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)

See, I can say that when Javy, Count or Garland are on its nasty. In fact when Javy or Count are on its more than nasty and when Jon is on its fun to watch cause he doesn't get hit hard at all, but he's not dominant in the sense of the strike out or anything like that.

Either way, right now my confidence meter is on the rise and maybe thats because I'm real excited that they actually played a good all around game (its happened before this year and they've than went on to tank it).

Hopefully Mark can come out tomorrow and pitch good and if needed the offense can bail him out.

I hope its back, and i hope its not too late. Jose looks like the Jose of last season, and Garland is throwing bowling balls up there, Vazquez is simply filthy and between MB and Garica you have a chance they will keep you in the game.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 06:42 AM)
What would a playoff rotation look like right now?

I'd have to go Garland, Vaz, Count, Buehrle.

I think we should just go with a 3 man rotation... Buehrle and Garcia havent done much for me to have faith in them in a playoff game. And Buehrle even with his A game isnt as good as the A game of Contreras/Vazquez and Garland has been our ace the 2nd half so cant go away from him.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 01:58 AM)
I think we should just go with a 3 man rotation... Buehrle and Garcia havent done much for me to have faith in them in a playoff game. And Buehrle even with his A game isnt as good as the A game of Contreras/Vazquez and Garland has been our ace the 2nd half so cant go away from him.

As of right now, I can't argue with that. Unfortunately, it seems to be proven historically iirc that pitchers on 3 days rest struggle in the playoffs. Still if the playoffs started today I'd take my chances with one of those 3 on 3 days rest compared to pitching Freddy or Mark in a game.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 01:58 AM)

You don't have pitchers throw on 3 days rest. That has worked like one time in the past 5 years, being with RJ and Schilling.

With a rotation this talented, there is no need. I don't care if Buehrle and Garcia have been struggling. They would start one friggin game in a 5 or 7 game series, so you can probably get atleast a decent outing out of one of the two. Save your starters' arms further from falling off and just go with the 4-man.

Umm, everyone's giving up on the thought of pitching Buehrle in the playoffs? My, I don't like that. I'd trust Mark -- I mean, I trust Mark, actively. He's been pitching much better of late, and he's Mark Buehrle, not some mediocrity. I'd take Javier as a Scot Shields-type reliever in the playoffs, Freddy would start, too, and that'd be that. I'm sure they could get it done. (Although it IS hard for me to pick between Freddy and Javier, but the way I see it, Freddy would be terrible out of the pen. Just terrible.)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
You don't have pitchers throw on 3 days rest. That has worked like one time in the past 5 years, being with RJ and Schilling.

With a rotation this talented, there is no need. I don't care if Buehrle and Garcia have been struggling. They would start one friggin game in a 5 or 7 game series, so you can probably get atleast a decent outing out of one of the two. Save your starters' arms further from falling off and just go with the 4-man.

What could work out in our favor is the possibility of getting the Tuesday-Thursday series (STL-SD got this series last year, so two AL teams will get it this year), with a day off between game 1 and 2. Only one of our pitchers would have to go on three days left. I wouldn't have many problems with Garland going on three days rest either.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
Umm, everyone's giving up on the thought of pitching Buehrle in the playoffs? My, I don't like that. I'd trust Mark -- I mean, I trust Mark, actively. He's been pitching much better of late, and he's Mark Buehrle, not some mediocrity. I'd take Javier as a Scot Shields-type reliever in the playoffs, Freddy would start, too, and that'd be that. I'm sure they could get it done. (Although it IS hard for me to pick between Freddy and Javier, but the way I see it, Freddy would be terrible out of the pen. Just terrible.)

LOL at Vazquez in the pen.

Who cares if Freddy would be terrible out of the pen? That's why you have 6 other guys in your pen to begin with. I'm more worried about going into the 7th with a lead, or with the game very close...I don't want to be trying to catch up with Freddy giving up meatball after meatball in the first 5, and then going to Vazquez for 2.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
What could work out in our favor is the possibility of getting the Tuesday-Thursday series (STL-SD got this series last year, so two AL teams will get it this year), with a day off between game 1 and 2. Only one of our pitchers would have to go on three days left. I wouldn't have many problems with Garland going on three days rest either.

Garland I wouldn't mind for 1-2 starts. His stuff IS better on short rest. However, my thought process behind it is that by sending pitchers out on short rest, you are taking them out of a routine they've had set in place since March. Why try and fook that up in the most important time of the year?

If it is a desperation move, ala down 2-1 in the ALDS, then by all means, I want Contreras/Garland/Vazquez out there instead of Buehrle or Garcia. Or, I want Buehrle/Garcia on an extremely short leash...they give up 2 runs, and they are gone.

QUOTE(JERMAINEDYE4MVP @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
If pitching matchup remain the same the final 3 games will feature>...

Sept 29- Liriano v. Buehrle

Sept 30- Silva v. Garcia

Oct 1- Santana v. Garland

That means our playoff rotation would be...

Vazuez

Contreras

Buerhle

Garland

Garcia if needed.

If it holds up, that would probably work just beautifully.

If the Sox are down 0-2, I'm sure Garland would be used in game 3, with Buehrle going in game 4 on an extremely short leash. In any other scenario, Buehrle/Garcia would probably start game 3.

I'm also not sure how guaranteed Buehrle is to be in the playoff rotation. I know for sure that it would be nice to have 2 effective lefties in the bullpen(and Buehrle has been nails on lefties this year...0.99 WHIP and a .229 BAA), and 3 lefties in general, whereas Garcia just becomes an innings eater in the bullpen.