9/27 Game Thread

fathom

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
8 Ks.

But he's not Cy f***ing Young, people!

I could only use the "not all guys can transition into being a reliever" routine so many times before I just gave up.

BTW everyone, the BMac bandwagon has room for all of you people to get back on.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
I could only use the "not all guys can transition into being a reliever" routine so many times before I just gave up.

BTW everyone, the BMac bandwagon has room for all of you people to get back on.

I never got off...but I do have to admit, the damn bullpen BMac did give me a scare.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
After the game, Ozzie will be quick to point out that while BMac pitched in great game his start, he sucked in relief. So he is not ready to be a starter. Instead, Juan Uribe will be our 5th starter next year.

He does have a cannon for an arm.

And BMac is a righty...perhaps he'd make a good Center Fielder...it'd keep Brian Anderson rested for winterball.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
Ozzie must feel like an idiot now for his Cy Young tirade.

If he didn't feel like an idiot for putting Mackowiak in CF....i don't know what would make him feel like one. Maybe a total frontal lobotomy.

Excellent...insurance run. Get BMac the win dammit!

Haegar up.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
I never got off...but I do have to admit, the damn bullpen BMac did give me a scare.

The second McCarthy started doubting his ability in the media coming out of the pen before the season, it was obvious he was going to be a disaster out there.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Josh Fields isn't close to having a short enough swing to be a good MLB hitter. If we can re-sign Crede quickly this offseason, Fields should be used as a major trade chip. I know the Padres and Phillies love him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
The second McCarthy started doubting his ability in the media coming out of the pen before the season, it was obvious he was going to be a disaster out there.

I don't think it was obvious at all. BMac was not that bad really until September, other than the times ozzie screwed around with hiim doing that one spot start in May. His ERA in every other month was in the 3's. He had some very good outings, like the 18 inning game against Boston or the 5 innings against the Twins.

I don't know what it was...whether he just finally couldn't get sharp without a full warmup in September or he wasn't feeling well or his arm just had too much energy, but he finally just blew up this last month.

Zut.

At least we got the insurance run.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Josh Fields isn't close to having a short enough swing to be a good MLB hitter. If we can re-sign Crede quickly this offseason, Fields should be used as a major trade chip. I know the Padres and Phillies love him.

Ditto. Maybe Kenny can sucker Gillick into a 'win now' mode and offer Garcia + Fields for Hamels...

Then again, maybe no suckering would be needed for a trade like that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
I don't think it was obvious at all. BMac was not that bad really until September, other than the times ozzie screwed around with hiim doing that one spot start in May. His ERA in every other month was in the 3's. He had some very good outings, like the 18 inning game against Boston or the 5 innings against the Twins.

I don't know what it was...whether he just finally couldn't get sharp without a full warmup in September or he wasn't feeling well or his arm just had too much energy, but he finally just blew up this last month.

Zut.

At least we got the insurance run.

Like you said though, those were long outings where he could get into a rhythm. McCarthy wasn't very good this season when he came in for a few batters.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
Ditto. Maybe Kenny can sucker Gillick into a 'win now' mode and offer Garcia + Fields for Hamels...

Then again, maybe no suckering would be needed for a trade like that.

Garcia and Fields for Rowand

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Garcia and Fields for Rowand

So basically we'd have sent Gio, Garcia, That other pitcher who's name i can't remember, and Fields for Thome?

I don't likee that. Especially the risk we took in picking up Thome after he was hurt.

Anyway...that's way too high of a price for a backup outfielder.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
Solid outing from Mac. Nice way to close out the season.

I'm very thankful he did well tonight. This was a huge start for him, IMO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
So basically we'd have sent Gio, Garcia, That other pitcher who's name i can't remember, and Fields for Thome?

I don't likee that. Especially the risk we took in picking up Thome after he was hurt.

Anyway...that's way too high of a price for a backup outfielder.

Balta.....you should know me, and my opinion of Rowand, well enough to know that I was being 100 pct sarcastic.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
I'm very thankful he did well tonight. This was a huge start for him, IMO.

Only problem is...now I'm going to again be really really really pissed if KW does decide to trade him.

Stewart throws out another Sizemore. Can we get him on whatever IRod was on that turned him into an MVP?

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
Only problem is...now I'm going to again be really really really pissed if KW does decide to trade him.

The only saving grace is that I know if he does trade him, it will be for a superstar like C. Crawford, V. Wells, or A. Rowand.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:44 AM)
Stewart throws out Sizemore with a knuckleballer throwing. Any doubt the kid is major league ready?

Yes, he can't hit a lick. With the tough lefties that we face, it's vital that we have a back-up righty catcher who can hit decently.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
The only saving grace is that I know if he does trade him, it will be for a superstar like C. Crawford, V. Wells, or A. Rowand.

The way our pitching staff performed this year...and the amount it costto put it on the field...I once again want the starting pitcher. Give me Pujols or give me death. Maybe Ryan Howard.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
The way our pitching staff performed this year...and the amount it costto put it on the field...I once again want the starting pitcher. Give me Pujols or give me death. Maybe Ryan Howard.

Would it really surprise people if Ozzie felt Haeger was the better fit to start than McCarthy?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 07:45 PM)
Yes, he can't hit a lick. With the tough lefties that we face, it's vital that we have a back-up righty catcher who can hit decently.

I disagree, I would rather have a great defensive cather who can throw out runners, especially with our starting staff.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:46 AM)
I disagree, I would rather have a great defensive cather who can throw out runners, especially with our starting staff.

Does it really matter with most of our pitchers? Contreras and Garcia doesn't even give our catchers a chance in hell to throw someone out. Why not just sign Blanco then, who can at least give you some offense back there.