Are the 05 White Sox the Greatest single season team ever?

JERMAINEDYE4MVP

Type in the phrase "greatest world series champions." The first response you get is the answer.

1. 2005 Chicago White Sox (Wire-2-wire, 4 complete game victories, world series sweep, and the greatest margin of victory [by 33 runs] in post season history)

2. 1927 New York Yankees (only other team to do 4CG W's is this team right here)

3. 1998 New York Yankees (great regular season team, but pales in comparison to the White Sox' dominance in the postseason in 05)

4. 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks (possibly the greatest 1-2 combo the major league had ever seen Schilling-Johnson)

5. 2004 Boston Red Sox (greatest comback ever in sports history, alhtought they benefited mostly from a-rod and the yanks choking. but a great comeback nonetheless).

Edited by JERMAINEDYE4MVP

I have followed baseball closely for roughly 25 years. The Yankees had some excellent teams in the late 90's through 2000. However, to me there was no WS champion more impressive than the 1984 Detroit Tigers. They were the 1985 Bears of baseball. One truly dominant season that still stands alone despite the lack of a dynasty.

Couldn't agree more on Koufax and Drysdale. I may sound like a Tiger fan here, but I think Lolich and McClain may have a nice claim for 1-2 punch as well. Didn't the Mets have a heck of a rotation from top to bottom in 1969, too? It is amazing how the cable era has turned evey modern champion into the "Best Ever".

Schilling and Johnson went 9-1 in the 2001 playoffs with a 1.80 ERA to give a 4 year old franchise a World Series win over perhaps one of the greatest dynastys ever. Depending on how much stock you put into playoff pushes, they are not as far off in the greatest duo ever argument as some make it seem.

Of course, their season stats weren't too shappy either. 43-12 with an ERA of about 2.73 in the modern hitting era is pretty impressive.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
too easy. Bob Gibson and Steve Carlton, anyone? it could be arguable.

Careerwise, Gibson and Carlton is a much better duo, but Carlton was very young when with Gibson, and Drysdale and Koufax were unreal together, so I take those 2.

Oh, and Contreras and Buehrle was a better duo than Johnson and Schilling :).