Cubs Expected to Hire Pinella

Leonard Zelig

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
BTW, A-ram opts for free agency. The "increased payroll" for the cubs will take a huge hit in the bidding war for A-ram.

What are the other teams expected to bid high for him? I imagine the Dodgers and Angels would like a power surge. Cubs may catch a small break in the fact that NYY won't be interested if they're really keeping A-Rod, and Boston may be happy enough with Lowell not to be too interested. Also Mets won't need him. So some of the big spenders won't be a factor.

With that said, he likely wouldn't do this if he and his agent thought they could get a pay bump. They'll have a lot of pressure from their fan base to not lose him.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
What are the other teams expected to bid high for him? I imagine the Dodgers and Angels would like a power surge. Cubs may catch a small break in the fact that NYY won't be interested if they're really keeping A-Rod, and Boston may be happy enough with Lowell not to be too interested. Also Mets won't need him. So some of the big spenders won't be a factor.

With that said, he likely wouldn't do this if he and his agent thought they could get a pay bump. They'll have a lot of pressure from their fan base to not lose him.

If I am the Angels, I am giving him Konerko-type money.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)

Houston and LAA are the top 2 in both money and need as far as I can tell. The Dodgers may be in the game, but they may be more happy with Betemit for a full season. The Tigers could use another bat. The Padres could use a bat, but who knows how much they'll be willing to spend. The Phillies could have some interest. Ramirez's agent has said that there are 7-10 teams interested.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
If I am the Angels, I am giving him Konerko-type money.

You'd give A Ram Konerko type money? I think he very well may GET that type of money, but I wouldn't want to be the team giving him that kind of paper. But the Angles do need a bat, so they probably will do it, however Scoscia isn't going to like A Ram when he sees how much of a dog he is in terms of hustle and how he hits when it matters.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
You'd give A Ram Konerko type money? I think he very well may GET that type of money, but I wouldn't want to be the team giving him that kind of paper. But the Angles do need a bat, so they probably will do it, however Scoscia isn't going to like A Ram when he sees how much of a dog he is in terms of hustle and how he hits when it matters.

Yup, I would. Last three seasons:

.318 .373 36 hr 103 RBI

.302 .358 31 92

.291 .352 38 119

Playing 3B, he would demand that type of a contract. Hes only 28 years old as well. There is no doubt in my mind he will get what Kong got or even more.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)

You talking about w/RISP or close and late?

He was horrible in close and late situations this year, and had a horrible average in those situations last year too. However, his OPS last year was .800, and he hit .316/.376/.541/.917 in 2004 in C&L situations. He hasn't been horrible.

And there's pretty much no argument you can make that would suggest he is bad with runners on base. His average is pretty good all around.

He may be a dog at times, and he may be mediocre to bad at 3B, but he's a hell of a hitter, and there's no denying that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
You talking about w/RISP or close and late?

He was horrible in close and late situations this year, and had a horrible average in those situations last year too. However, his OPS last year was .800, and he hit .316/.376/.541/.917 in 2004 in C&L situations. He hasn't been horrible.

And there's pretty much no argument you can make that would suggest he is bad with runners on base. His average is pretty good all around.

He may be a dog at times, and he may be mediocre to bad at 3B, but he's a hell of a hitter, and there's no denying that.

Oh your right on all points, I agree 100 percent. However:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

April 21 71 13 14 2 0 4 10 12 8 1 1 .197 .321 .394 .716

May 29 109 13 29 8 1 5 15 3 7 0 0 .266 .296 .495 .791

June 26 105 9 29 6 0 5 18 7 12 0 0 .276 .325 .476 .801

and then....

July 26 96 18 33 5 2 10 27 11 11 0 0 .344 .414 .750 1.164

August 28 111 26 37 11 1 7 19 11 16 1 0 .333 .400 .640 1.040

September 26 98 13 30 6 0 6 28 6 9 0 0 .306 .346 .551 .897

plus......

Pre All Star 85 320 40 83 19 2 16 52 25 32 1 1 .259 .320 .481 .801

Post All-Star 72 274 53 90 19 2 22 67 25 31 1 0 .328 .388 .653 1.041

When the Cubs still had a shot in that AWFUL, AWFUL NL and NL Central, and when Lee got hurt, Ramirez did not step it up, at all. But then when July, the 2nd half of the year, and the the time where the Cubs were dead comes up, Ramirez all of a sudden catches fire (playing for the paper and new contract) and ends up with a great season (although deceptive) numberwise. That's what I mean by not hitting when it matters, or at least that was obviously the case in 2006.

With that said though.....if the Cubs lose him, it would be a crushing blow. Joe Randa or Mark DeRosa at 3B is a bit of a dropoff. Either that, or they get A-Rod, but lose Zambrano.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
When the Cubs still had a shot in that AWFUL, AWFUL NL and NL Central, and when Lee got hurt, Ramirez did not step it up, at all. But then when July, the 2nd half of the year, and the the time where the Cubs were dead comes up, Ramirez all of a sudden catches fire (playing for the paper and new contract) and ends up with a great season (although deceptive) numberwise. That's what I mean by not hitting when it matters, or at least that was obviously the case in 2006.

He was supposed to carry the team by himself?

I'm sorry, I'm not buying this. He got off to a slow start in April, was mediocre to slightly above in May and June, and was a monster in the second half. It's not his fault the Cubs had jacks*** for talent around him.

And playing when it matters most...how about his .956 OPS in the 2003 playoffs? That's when it matters most, not when your team sucks ass and there's nothing you can do about it, regardless of the numbers you put it.

It'd be worth it for the Cubs to give him 5/65, but I doubt he intends on staying in Chicago.