Drug Ads

Texsox

Drug Advertising  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does drug advertising on TV

• Puts information in the patients hands and makes them a partner in their care.
    • Creates pressure on Doctors to prescribe drugs that may not be perfect for the patient

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
The whole idea of advertising for something that needs to be prescribed is absurd, in my opinion.

That's the whole ridiculousness of our system. Because the demand curve for most drugs is fairly inflexible (i.e. if you raise the price 20%, most of the time people don't stop using the drug) the drug companies are basically free to raise prices almost without restraint...if a 20% increase in the cost of the drug to pay for more ads leads to more people starting to use the drug than stop due to the price increase, then profitability will go up and up and up...the only thing the company needs to do is sell more of its product (and make sure people don't forget to take the stuff they're on).

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
Just wondering.

I think the answer is, "yes." There are some who go into the doctor and ask meaningful questions and some go in and say, I want that!

To me, it's just more white noise. Blah, blah, blah, arthritis. Blah, blah, blah, Mandy Patinkin's cholesterol. Blah, blah, blah, erections lasting more than four hours.

QUOTE(mreye @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
Hell, listen to the side effects at the end of these commercials.

Often they're worse than the condition they are treating...

I like the ones that never tell you what the drug is actually for. They always just say, "ask your doctor if XXXXX is right for you".

QUOTE(mreye @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
Hell, listen to the side effects at the end of these commercials.

Side effects of ___________ include, dry mouth, fever, bloating, skin pigmentation disorders, and diarrhea. If you eat daily, ___________ may not be right for you. Those who take __________ may be at a higher risk for prostare cancer and various types of liver diseases. Ask your doctor if __________ is right for you.