My grades during dead time

greg775

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
Okay. And they'll agree with me and tell me that insanely good pitching wins championships. Not "good team baseball."

Last time I checked, "insanely good pitching" is also part of "good team baseball"

The 2005 White Sox had everything in the post-season, not just great starting pitching. El Duque was magical out of the pen, along with Cotts. Not to mention our timely clutch hitting. (Konerko's slam, Podesdnik's walk off, Crede, Dye, etc)

Thornton - C

Cintron - C

Gload - C

Ozuna - C

Mack - C.

These grades made you want to puke?

I don't know why some people thought these guys were so good.

C is average; does anybody back me that all 5 of these guys were average?

What's so mean about that?

These guys did not have stellar seasons. OK I could go B- but what's wrong with a C?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
These grades made you want to puke?

I don't know why some people thought these guys were so good.

C is average; does anybody back me that all 5 of these guys were average?

What's so mean about that?

These guys did not have stellar seasons. OK I could go B- but what's wrong with a C?

The Sox had possibly the best bench in baseball last season (with the exception of the backup catcher), when grading Cintron, Mack, Ozuna and Gload you have to take into consideration what they are asked to do and all 4 of them did their jobs just about as well as anyone in baseball. These are not everyday players we're talking about here, so you can't grade them as if they are.

Mack - .290/.365/.414/.746, 5 HR, 23 RBI, 31 R, 5 SB in 255 AB.

Pinch hitting: .350/.458/.500/.958

What more do you want from Mack? This is a great offensive season from any bench player, when looking at his numbers you could make a case that he was a top 3 bench player in all of baseball last season.

Cintron - .285/.310/.392/.703, 5 HR, 31 RBI, 35 R, 10 SB in 288 AB.

Ozuna - .328/.365/.444/.809, 2 HR, 17 RBI, 75 R, 6 SB in 189 AB.

w/ RI
S
P: .424/.486/.545/1.032, 15 RBI in 33 AB

Gload - .327/.354/.462/.815, 3 HR, 18 RBI, 22 R, 6 SB in 156 AB.

I challenge you to find me a better foursome on any bench in all of baseball, ain't gonna happen.

Paulie - B+

Iguchi- B

Uribe - D+

Crede - A

AJ - B

Thome - A-

Pods - D-

Anderson C

Dye - A+

Buehrle - C+

Jose Contreras B-

Garland - B

Freddie - C-

Vaz - C-

Brandon - C

Jenks - A-

Riske - B-

MacDougal - B

Cotts - D+

Thornton - B+

Cintron - B

Gload - C

Ozuna - A-

Mack - C-

Oz - C

Cora - D+

Walker - C-

Cooper - C

The Sox had possibly the best bench in baseball last season (with the exception of the backup catcher), when grading Cintron, Mack, Ozuna and Gload you have to take into consideration what they are asked to do and all 4 of them did their jobs just about as well as anyone in baseball. These are not everyday players we're talking about here, so you can't grade them as if they are.

Mack - .290/.365/.414/.746, 5 HR, 23 RBI, 31 R, 5 SB in 255 AB.

Are we not counting defense into this? Cause it seems to me everybody b****ed all year about Mack blowing games for us

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
I'm not going to fault Mack for being horribly missused by his manager. Rob is not a CF, he should never have been put in such a position.

Even under better management, he still would have been out there - just less often. Anderson wasn't going to play 162 games, and as bad as Mack is in CF, there are no better options on the roster. If he'd played Mack out there every 10th or 15th game, I think this would not have been such an issue.

Either way, I still think Mack did pretty darn well with the hand he was dealt.

First half: Thome A. Second Half D+. He just didnt come through when we needed him most. I hope he comes back and has a FULL season in '07.

Starting pitching: C- Too inconsistent. Buerhle, Garcia really need to bounce back strong next year, they are suppose to be our 1-2 punch. I think Vazquez will have a good year in 07, im not worried about Contreras and Garland just keeps getting better. Hmm but which one will go? Probably Garcia unfortanatly

Relief pitching: D+, only because of Thorton, Macdougle and Jenks. Everyone else gets an F-. Terrible, Terrible year! They just contributed to our starting pitching troubles, because Ozzie was forced into having them pitch longer than he wanted.

My A's- Crede and Dye. Both had breakout years, can't argue that.

My B's- Iguchi, Konerko, Gload, Ozuna

My C's- Mackowiack, Cintron, AJ

My D's- Anderson (although he showed signs of life, his 1st half was brutal), Alomar (why did we get him back again?),

My F's- Podsednick. (hard to get back to the playoffs without a catalyst)