MP3 player thread

sox4lifeinPA

Now that I'm rolling in phat cash..... I want to buy mp3 players for me and the miss.

I was thinking a full on ipod for me (30 or 80g) and a nano for her 4g. That way we can switch and use them for different things (running or traveling)

Does anyone have one or do you recommend another make and model? be sure to list how much you paid. thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the Creative Zen Vision M 30GB for my B-Day about a month back, costs around $450 down here.

It plays videos as well as music so I got all my episodes of Family Guy, The Office etc. on there.

It has longer battery life than the I-Pod equivalent so that's a plus, and it comes in green. :D

creative_zen_vision_m_b.jpg

I won a 2Gb Ipod in a contest about 3 weeks ago. Thus far, the only things I've used it on are field trips and at the Gym. I have a portable CD player which also provides a much larger variety of MP3 play capability, and my car's CD player plays Mp3's, so even without the Ipod I'd be fine everywhere except for those 2 spots. I would not have paid more than like $30 for an Ipod of this size had I not won one, just because I don't think they're worth the cost.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 01:55 AM)
Anyone have a Zune?

Just what I need.... ANOTHER microsoft product that is inferior to the apple predecessor :)

FWIW, the songs that you "share" with friends only last 3 days and then they go away, according the website.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
Just what I need.... ANOTHER microsoft product that is inferior to the apple predecessor :)

FWIW, the songs that you "share" with friends only last 3 days and then they go away, according the website.

Regardless, that's a HUGE step ahead of Apple (not to mention the wireless capabilities add an amazing amount of potential for future versions). I've also heard that the Microsoft music store will allow customers to purchase an unlimited amount of music for a flat monthly fee.

Also, the Zune supports pretty much all music formats unlike the mere 3 the iPod does. (And also works with iTunes).

The iPod could be in some deep trouble.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
what is the difference?

Apple iPod Video Enhanced 5th Generation 30GB Media Player - White

Apple iPod Video 5th Generation 30GB Media Player - White

the second one is like 60 bucks cheaper. Any clues?

One breaks as soon as you pull it out of the box, the other breaks a week later.

ok...so here it is... my mp3 player review:

The Goods: Toshiba's Gigabeat 60g Music/Video Player (see picture above)

The Price: 259.99 from Amazon.com (lists for wel above 300.00)

The Platform: Windows Mobile Media Center

My Initial reaction: It looks cool. Feels light but sturdy in my hands. The windows platform is super easy to use. I've been around enough Ipods and read enough reviews to know that its size is actually smaller, while the screen is bigger. I love the black and brushed alluminum.

Why Windows over Apple?: I go back and forth between using Itunes and Windows media player, although Winamp is my primary music player. Itunes has a great store front, easy conversion of files into the library, and in my opinion, the easiest manipulation of file data, such as song title, artist, etc.

Windows media player is more universal, however. I have no problem playing .avi, .mov, .mpegs, etc. (where itunes is very particular). This was the ultimate selling point when I was picking out platforms to go on.

On Further Review: 60 gigs is huge and for the price you're getting twice as much space as the compareable Ipod 30g. Videos and pictures can be viewed either potrait (your only option for the ipod) or landscape. You wouldn't think this makes a difference, but it totally does. The picture is extremely clear and vivid, another thing that blew my mind. There was only noticeable discoloration when the sceen was dark, but that is to be expected even on a 30in Television.

The Pros: Space, Screen Size, Versitility, Not feeding the angry ipod beast.

The Cons: Itunes organizes better both on the pc and the portable player. However, the gigabeat sections the files off into "my pictures, my videos, my music" for better than average storing organization.

What you need to know in a few short sentences: This is a great player for anyone that likes diversity. You will need to download a video file converter for any unsupported formats, which I had to do for my .avi files. The work is worth the payoff.

My score: A, for screen, hard drive size, and ease of use.

p.s.: in addition, there's a video downloading site called "Vongo" which allows you to download movies and other videos to your player for $9.99. If you travel a lot, this player could be worth it. Less equipment, More Movies.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
the ipod will not be in trouble for quite a while.

No doubt the ipod isn't in trouble, but that was why I went and did some research. The point of my review is that you can get twice as much product with reasonably the same amount of ease of use and style.

the short: I wouldn't break my arm patting myself on the back after i bought an ipod. Itunes is a nice show, but if you're willing to put any amount of effort into your portable, ipods just don't hold their overvalued weight.

Its a cultural phenomenon, people even call products that aren't ipods - ipods.

Ipods = VW in the late ninties

I use "Kleenex" when I have to blow my nose, but I look at comperable items with similar quality and superior quantity. I'm not impressed with the Kleenex brand simply because it revolutionized the tissue paper industry.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
I use "Kleenex" when I have to blow my nose, but I look at comperable items with similar quality and superior quantity. I'm not impressed with the Kleenex brand simply because it revolutionized the tissue paper industry.

You know way more about the tissue paper industry than would be considered healthy. :ph34r:

Hopefully marriage will mean you're not going through the Kleenex so rapidly that you need to go generic in order to save money. :bang

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
No doubt the ipod isn't in trouble, but that was why I went and did some research. The point of my review is that you can get twice as much product with reasonably the same amount of ease of use and style.

the short: I wouldn't break my arm patting myself on the back after i bought an ipod. Itunes is a nice show, but if you're willing to put any amount of effort into your portable, ipods just don't hold their overvalued weight.

Ipods = VW in the late ninties

at what point in my post did you think that I was referring to a single person, especially yourself?

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
at what point in my post did you think that I was referring to a single person, especially yourself?

I didn't take it personally, if that what you took my response as. Like my post said, I think Ipods are overrated and underproduce. Apple needs to know there are definitely alternatives out there. Competition spurs innovation, which they are the leader in this category. I think they're lazy, right now, however. Any consumer willing to shell out 250-300 bucks off their hard earned cash should deserve better; demand it, even.

All in all, I was just commenting on your perception of the mp3 player market. I think that's a lot of people's attitudes. After I spent close to 10 pure hours reading reviews and figuring out my best option, I hope my leg work inspires someone to choose another route besides the Ipod. Hopefully enough people will make that same decision and coax Apple into making steps forward.

ok, that's that.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
You know way more about the tissue paper industry than would be considered healthy. :ph34r:

Hopefully marriage will mean you're not going through the Kleenex so rapidly that you need to go generic in order to save money. :bang

you're a moron too.... :fight :D

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
I didn't take it personally, if that what you took my response as. Like my post said, I think Ipods are overrated and underproduce. Apple needs to know there are definitely alternatives out there. Competition spurs innovation, which they are the leader in this category. I think they're lazy, right now, however. Any consumer willing to shell out 250-300 bucks off their hard earned cash should deserve better; demand it, even.

while this is true, the style and interface of the ipods are more important, and however not true it is, people think that ipods are setting the standard in tech.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
while this is true, the style and interface of the ipods are more important, and however not true it is, people think that ipods are setting the standard in tech.

Well, if the Zune doesn't break down like the iPod, I think Apple has some pretty good compettition. As far as the "standard" I think Microsoft trying to set some new ones.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
I understand. I'm just saying the perception has a chance to change.

one review at a time hopefully. I LOVE my gigabeat...and it gigabeats the hell out of the 30g (and 80g because of the price) Ipods. It has a larger viewing screen and equal style. The only reason I could see staying with an Ipod is itunes, but here again, I'm not saying Ipods suck, I just think that Apple easily has competition. Unfortunately, it is the consumer that is lazy.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 5, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
one review at a time hopefully. I LOVE my gigabeat...and it gigabeats the hell out of the 30g (and 80g because of the price) Ipods. It has a larger viewing screen and equal style. The only reason I could see staying with an Ipod is itunes, but here again, I'm not saying Ipods suck, I just think that Apple easily has competition. Unfortunately, it is the consumer that is lazy.

The Zune will work with iTunes. And I hope Microsoft markets the hell out of the Zune because I despise the iPod. I've bought 3 and all of them broke in less than 3 months. (I really miss the middle finger emoticon.) But you're right about the overall space of the Zune. 30 gigs doesn't cut it. I have 70 gigs in my library.

Edited by BobDylan

• 2 weeks later...