November 7 Election Day Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
The AP called Blago an 1.5 hours ago.... that means turnout in Cook County is going to be big....

... that means stroger's probably gonna win (which is sorta disgusting even to this democrat)

Actually, I'd say they called Blago because the areas Topinka was to be strongest in (downstate and collar counties) are almost even. Nothing in Cook is in yet, and Blago will of course carry that big time.

And yeah, Stroger will probably win.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope the dems win, the republicans needed a political beating to set them straight. enough with GW Bush's moronic foreign policy and his paying political debt to the evangelicals.

even if the dems take the house and the senate i wouldn't call it a "mandate" to raise taxes through the roof, cut military intelligence, and lock up the government with constant bi-partisan bickering. if the dems try their usual nonsense it'll only help the republicans in 2008.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
Reading the comments on Zorn's blog, I was amazed how many people were calling for a vote for Whitney. Looks like the Greens will have an easier time next go-round.

Yup. Someone mentioned it earlier, and I am not sure on the details. But for certain elections, if a party gets 5%+ in any election, they get certain things automatically that they didn't get before. I don't recall what those things are or if they are at the state or national level, though.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
So, here is something I am finding very interesting in the IL Governor election.

Current results in, from Chicago Tribune, as of a few minutes ago:

Governor - Illinois 154 of 11692 Precincts Reporting

Baar Topinka , Judy GOP 23,774 44.55

Blagojevich , Rod (i) Dem 23,527 44.09

Whitney, Rich Grn 6,061 11.36

The line in bold is telling, I think. Whitney isn't some one-shot phenom. That's a protest vote, and a big one, by Illinois voters saying that the two major party options they were given were just complete garbage. And I agree.

We'll see how that holds up as more precincts report - since only a fraction have done so. But since Topinka is leading these precincts, I'd say they are majority downstate - where the Greens won't usually do well. Urban voters may actually increase that number. 11% is HUGE for a Green party candidate for Gov.

Whitney was the 'f*** You' vote to Topinka and Blago. I really wish there was a true 'None of the Above' option on the ballot and if 'None' won, we have another election with new candidates.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
Reading the comments on Zorn's blog, I was amazed how many people were calling for a vote for Whitney. Looks like the Greens will have an easier time next go-round.

definately. they need to get up to 5%, which i think the will. i voted for Whitney today, actually liked him a lot more than Topinka or Blago.

"11% is HUGE for a Green party candidate for Gov."

if i'm reading the numbers right, thats mostly downstate votes too.. he could get upwards of 15%.

wow

:o

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
Yup. Someone mentioned it earlier, and I am not sure on the details. But for certain elections, if a party gets 5%+ in any election, they get certain things automatically that they didn't get before. I don't recall what those things are or if they are at the state or national level, though.

At least part of it is the number of signatures you have to get to be on the ballot. If you pull 5%, you're a 'reputable' party to the public, so you need a lot fewer sigs. I think everyone's rooting for a Green 5%.

The Republicans are just such a mess.

The Dems have held the senate seat in Maryland. That was the GOP's other pickup opportunity.

George Allen is up by barely 8000 votes in VA, with 84% of the results returned. Allen's lead has shrunk from about 30000 when 60% were counted, so the last segment seems to have been more pro-Webb. Don't know if there's enough left, but it's gonna be real close. So close that "James H. Jim" might have made a difference.

Sheldon Whitehouse has beaten Lincoln Chaffee. That's the 3rd Dem Pickup in the Senate.

Chris Chocola has gone down in Indiana.

Edited by Balta1701

Just in case anyone isn't sure where to look, here is CNN's dashboard:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/res.../key/index.html

Scroll down to the CALLED section for those races. Looks like 21 races so far are called... all Dem. US Senate at Dems +3 (Casey, Brown, Whitehouse took R seats), house all seats Dem, at this point.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
The Dems have held the senate seat in Maryland. That was the GOP's other pickup opportunity.

George Allen is up by barely 8000 votes in VA, with 84% of the results returned. Allen's lead has shrunk from about 30000 when 60% were counted, so the last segment seems to have been more pro-Webb. Don't know if there's enough left, but it's gonna be real close. So close that "James H. Jim" might have made a difference.

Sheldon Whitehouse has beaten Lincoln Chaffee. That's the 3rd Dem Pickup in the Senate.

Chris Chocola has gone down in Indiana.

My understanding is that the James H Jim thing was only on the confirmation page, not the vote selection, so I'd say the impact should be minimal.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
My understanding is that the James H Jim thing was only on the confirmation page, not the vote selection, so I'd say the impact should be minimal.

Can I at least blame the Green Candidate, who is sitting on over 20k votes?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
Can I at least blame the Green Candidate, who is sitting on over 20k votes?

If that 20k makes a difference, then I suppose so. But some of those would have voted Green no matter what - not like they are protest votes. What is the 20k as a percentage thus far? Is it material?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
If that 20k makes a difference, then I suppose so. But some of those would have voted Green no matter what - not like they are protest votes. What is the 20k as a percentage thus far? Is it material?

1.11%.

At least, if nothing else, Allen's Presidential bid died before it even got off the ground.

Edit: Holy flurking schnit...the gap just closed to 1300 votes.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)

a lot of "green" voters wouldn't have voted democrat anyways. it's not a good excuse for losing.

Edited by mr_genius