November 7 Election Day Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 06:56 AM)
Now, the hard work starts. Now Democrats have to earn those votes back in 2008. Which means Pelosi needs to work on getting her agenda passed.

Impeachment? Won't happen. Investigations? Hell yeah, and they need to happen too.

I know I'm getting all Mr Smith goes to Washington hopeful here, but I think that there's gonna be an emphasis on doing the right thing in Congress for at least a few months, if not a couple years. More so than we've seen since 1997.

And that can't be a bad thing.

If the Democrats want to hold onto these gains in 2008 and beyond, then absolutely they need to do that. Or at least they need to try.

Right now there's a bunch of obvious, bi-partisan bills that have been sitting around waiting because the Republican leadership wouldn't bring them to the floor unless their entire caucus was on board. Because of how little this Congress actually did, it's going to be really, really easy for the Dems to actually start pushing through compromise legislation.

Prime example in my head? The President's immigration reform package, which was actually a fairly bipartisan proposal but which the Repubs wouldn't bring to the floor because a few of their congressional leaders wanted enforcement-only.

The Democrats are stupid if they come into this with the same "50+1" attitude that Bush has tried to govern with over the last 6 years. Investigations are one thing, but the primary goal should be a flood of legislation. Fix the Medicare drug benefit. Increase the minimum wage. Actually pass a strong lobbying reform act. Pass a genuine immigration compromise.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 07:53 AM)
He already announced he will caucus with the Dems, which is the key.

For now.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Now that Ms. Pelosi is Speaker, and the world is ALL YOURS, what are you going to do, besides go to Disney Land?

I seriously want to know, since most of the platform couldn't be discussed because "Karl Rove would tear it apart".

I hope Pelosi goes back to her old ways and becomes a real liberal speaker of the house cause that would be a thing of beauty for the republican party.

But ya, I'm convinced they will lose the senate as well which means Bush is just gonna veto pretty much everything but the immigration workers stuff.

The sad thing is some good candidates lost because people were voting against Bush, not against the candidates. Sorry but thats stupid to me. You want to hate on Bush fine, but you don't nominate less qualified individuals to run your state because of it (I'm specifically focusing on Maryland).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 07:45 PM)
:lol:

Nice.

I didin't see the Dean crap, I mean, interview. Could you give me the high, er I mean, lowlights? :)

He didn't say much of anything aside from we now need to come up with our plan. Brilliant....they get elected and now get to formulate something.

On the bright side a chunk of the dem's that won are pretty conservative dems and I am hoping Pelosi will really drive a wedge between the conservative and liberal dem's (considering the dem's with power are the very liberal ones). It'll also be interesting to see if they kick some of the more moderate and well respected republicans off certain key committees.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 07:37 AM)
screw joe lieberman. all this s*** w/ montana and virginia wouldnt matter if he hadnt friggin run

One of the most respected senators (I respected him when he was a democrat and I respect the hell out of him now) and a man who actually stands behind what he believes.

I laugh at you all for throwing him under a bus.

Pelosi's goals in her first days as speaker.

1. Adopt and fully fund 9/11 Commission recommendations.

2. Raise the minimum wage for the first time in 10 years.

3. Fix the Medicare prescription plan to allow the government to bargain for cheaper medicine prices.

Real liberal agenda!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
The sad thing is some good candidates lost because people were voting against Bush, not against the candidates. Sorry but thats stupid to me. You want to hate on Bush fine, but you don't nominate less qualified individuals to run your state because of it (I'm specifically focusing on Maryland).

C'mon, they were all in this together. It wasn't a referendum on Bush, it was a referendum on following blindly. The people wanted a change, and since Bush is out in two years, this is the best way to do it.

One of the most respected senators (I respected him when he was a democrat and I respect the hell out of him now) and a man who actually stands behind what he believes.

I wasn't throwing him under the bus, I just can't believe that the Dem party in Connecticut didn't realize the relationship he has with the people of Connecticut. Lamont would have won if Lieberman didn't run, but he didn't, because the people would rather have someone they trust over someone the party picked.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
C'mon, they were all in this together. It wasn't a referendum on Bush, it was a referendum on following blindly.

well said... Lots of reasonable, likeable, good republican candidates lost cause the did whatever the boss told them to.

I'd bet that if those qualified republican candidates had spoken out against bush, there would be a lot more of them in Congress right now.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Pelosi's goals in her first days as speaker.

1. Adopt and fully fund 9/11 Commission recommendations.

2. Raise the minimum wage for the first time in 10 years.

3. Fix the Medicare prescription plan to allow the government to bargain for cheaper medicine prices.

Real liberal agenda!

If she doesn't put a bipartisan immigration bill and a lobbying reform bill on the list as well, she'll be missing a big chance.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
well said... Lots of reasonable, likeable, good republican candidates lost cause the did whatever the boss told them to.

I'd bet that if those qualified republican candidates had spoken out against bush, there would be a lot more of them in Congress right now.

There's a big difference between just speaking out against Mr. Bush and actively doing something that would hamper his policies, especially in Iraq.

And sadly, the Pirate Party candidate was unable to pull off the upset in Iowa.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
Nussle's old district is a 12 point win for the dems. Yay.

It's not that surprising. I don't think Whalen was that great of a candidate. Plus Nussle was an incumbant so that had some help with that district.

Looks like Montana goes to the Democrats.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
I hope Pelosi goes back to her old ways and becomes a real liberal speaker of the house cause that would be a thing of beauty for the republican party.

But ya, I'm convinced they will lose the senate as well which means Bush is just gonna veto pretty much everything but the immigration workers stuff.

He didn't say much of anything aside from we now need to come up with our plan. Brilliant....they get elected and now get to formulate something.

On the bright side a chunk of the dem's that won are pretty conservative dems and I am hoping Pelosi will really drive a wedge between the conservative and liberal dem's (considering the dem's with power are the very liberal ones). It'll also be interesting to see if they kick some of the more moderate and well respected republicans off certain key committees.

I'm not sure that voting against Bush rather than for/against certain congressional candidates is a bad thing. People recognized the need for checks & balances in the Federal government, and they made it happen. Lincoln Chafee may have been a liberal Repub, but him being there gave majority power as well as chairmanships and committee control to the Repubs, so he needed to go.

I saw several interviews with Dean before the election and I thought he articulated well the Dems plan for after the election.

I still hate Joe, but I guess he's going to caucus with the Dems, so I guess we'll keep him for now. But as soon as Conn wises up and gets rid of him, the better.

Jas, if it makes you feel any better, think of it like term limits. :P

Good candidates lost in 2004 because the GOP begged for a chance to have it all and do it their way. So they had everything that could be gained by elections, then continued a campaign to discredit the Judicial Branch and the Fourth Estate. With every toy to play with, the results were not so hot. So now the voters have added the other party back into the mix. Perhaps, we can harness the best of both sides of the aisle and move ahead for the better.

Also, at least in theory, both sides, in most races, have offered "good" candidates. The voters rejected the current course we were asked to stay on. You can't change the course without changing the leaders. Midterms are always tough when a President is having problems.

UPDATE...

CNN has called MT Senate - Tester wins.

Webb is now claiming victory in VA, but a recount may be needed. That wouldn't happen until end of November at certification time, and only if Allen requests it.

So as it stands right now, barring a recount in VA and reversal, the Dems have likely taken the Senate.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
UPDATE...

CNN has called MT Senate - Tester wins.

Webb is now claiming victory in VA, but a recount may be needed. That wouldn't happen until end of November at certification time, and only if Allen requests it.

So as it stands right now, barring a recount in VA and reversal, the Dems have likely taken the Senate.

And as quite a few noted last night...last year in VA, there was a recount in the Attorney general's race, which was decided by only a few hundred votes. The recount only wound up changing a few dozen votes...so at least there's some historical precedent for what that might do.

And also, Allen calling for a recount would give the courts a chance to look at some of the tactics Allen's folks used...VA was I believe one of the centers of allegations of people calling minority voters and telling them their polling place had been changed.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
I think it's pretty much a given. The Senate was sort of a stretch, anyway. But the House still looks pretty good, and that's really the prize. End one-party leadership. I'd love to see that macaca out in Virginia, too, but I'll take what I can get.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
I ain't counting those eggs yet. But the ones that don't hatch get thrown at the (ugh) senator from Virginia. After a week or so. In the sun.

Dear NSA,

Metaphorically.

Respectfully,

jh

Ah...sweet error. :D

Harry Mitchell pulls the upset over 6 term incumbent J.D. Hayworth. Our polls down here showed the race tighten (from 20 points in Sept) but no idea that Mitchell would win and by as big of margin. From McCain's victory speech w/Kyl it sure sounds like McCain will be running for President in 2008.

The totals are a little under 7000 votes with Webb ahead with four precincts left to report. Two of them have nothing left to report I understand and the other two precincts might net a handful more votes to Allen, but the key there being a handful (like a couple dozen).

They did a recount two years ago for the AG race, and the difference in count and recount was less than 50 votes. Barring a miracle for the GOP, or Lieberman suddenly jumping ship or taking a cabinet spot, the Dems just took the Senate.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
Some states have a law where it's automatic. Not sure if VA is one of those. I agree, tho, Chisoxfn... no recount. Just move on, unlike Webb would have.

Again with the polarization?

Webb would have done it, probably. The guy's posters read "Born Fighting", and it would have meant a possible sweep into Senate control. But I think Allen might do the same. Its not about which party they are in, in this case. Webb wouldn't do it because he's a liberal, nor will Allen do it or not do it because he is a conservative. Either one would do it if A) they think they have a resonable chance to win, and B) it was best for their party and their own political objectives, short and long term.