November 7 Election Day Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
even if the dems take the house and the senate i wouldn't call it a "mandate" to raise taxes through the roof, cut military intelligence, and lock up the government with constant bi-partisan bickering. if the dems try their usual nonsense it'll only help the republicans in 2008.

:vomits thinking about my taxes going up.

Nancy Pelosi as the speaker of the house scares the hell out of me.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy s***... 100% precincts reporting in VA, Webb up by 1,200 votes STATEWIDE. That's f***ing insane.

It looks like Tallant will win in MO, but it depends on where the precincts are that have not reported. Probably inner city, probably favoring Dems.

Man, finally, we have a couple races where it's going to be the Republicans demanding the recounts. :P Man, was I ever shocked to see both Webb and McCaskill pull ahead. 4 years of watching every state and hoping that would happen and failing to see it.

South Dakota's near total abortion ban also went down to defeat tonight.

Wow, in CA it looks like a lot of the propositions have a good shot at passing early. Hopefully a couple of those will turn around, especially prop. 90, that one is an absolute disaster waiting to happen. Thank God the Levee repair bonds look like they'll pass, if those failed we'd basically be asking for Sacramento to turn into New Orleans.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
love it, i truly think at the end of all this we will see a democratic house and senate. an amazing victory tonight

I'm ECSTATIC!

Wow, so this is what it feels like to not lose an election.

I still enjoyed the World Series more.

Edited by Balta1701

Well, at least thus far it already sounds like the White House is going to be gearing up for a fight...Reuters link

President George W. Bush, disappointed at the Democrats' seizure of the House of Representatives, will hold a news conference on Wednesday to urge his opponents to work with him, the White House said.

The news conference was set for 1 p.m. EST (1800 GMT).

White House spokesman Tony Snow said the outcome of the elections, in which Democrats were projected to win control of the House and pick up several Senate seats, was "not what we would've hoped."

"But it also gets us to a point: Democrats have spent a lot of time complaining about what the president has done. This is an opportunity for them to kind of stand up," Snow said.

Bush, whose Iraq policy was a key factor in the elections, had dinner with top aides and close friends Brad Freeman and Don Evans, the former commerce secretary, and watched the election returns on television in the White House residence.

He was told formally by his top political adviser, Karl Rove, that the House had gone to the Democrats.

It was described as a businesslike environment with aides thumbing messages into their blackberries to keep track of developments.

The bad news came after Bush spent the last five days of the campaign trying to help Republican candidates in 10 states.

"Now, one of the things is both parties have got a lot work to do," Snow said. "The president has got a very active agenda for the next two years and you're going to need both parties. There has to be a calculated decision by the Democrats."

It's still either Bush's way or the highway, at least based on the sound of that statement. No "We're looking forward to working with them", instead its "stand up or stop complaining".

At least Pelosi paid lip service earlier tonight to working together/bipartisanship/the Center with the President at the start (before firing off plenty of red meat on Iraq to the crowd of course).

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 03:22 AM)
Webb is up by 12K votes.

McCaskill won.

Talent up by 4 points!

Balance of power shifted!

In my county, we elected our first Dem county commissioner in 20 years!

This is a great night to be a democrat!

by talent you mean tester of course!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
Well, at least thus far it already sounds like the White House is going to be gearing up for a fight...Reuters link

It's still either Bush's way or the highway, at least based on the sound of that statement. No "We're looking forward to working with them", instead its "stand up or stop complaining".

At least Pelosi paid lip service earlier tonight to working together/bipartisanship/the Center with the President at the start (before firing off plenty of red meat on Iraq to the crowd of course).

The press conference today will be really interesting. If either MT or VA Senate was a done deal for the Dems I think he'd have to be conciliatory and back off the Dems win = America loses rhetoric. With both races still undecided maybe he still feels he can take a combative stance.

It was humorous when OP and Allen spokespeople were downplaying the need for a VA recount when they were up by less than 1/2%, but when those numbers flipped and Webb went up by about te same margin Allen came on and prett much said be patient because you betcha there's gonna be a recount!

Finally, I do basically agree with Kap and others that the Dem 'wave' is more about Bush than any national mindset shift towerd the Dems. My hypothetical question is do you think we'll ever see Bushco cop to this? Will we ever get to hear W give a George Costanza "It's not you, it's ME" speech?? :D

I'll be honest, that's why I'm disappointed more then anything right now. This wasn't about the Dems winning, this was about the Repubs losing. And that really sucks for our country. THEY DIDN'T RUN ON ANYTHING! We all lose.

Bring on impeachment.

America Votes for Change!

-gets 4 quarters for a dollar bill.

What last night was = A wake up call for repubs and most incumbents (teddy ain't gettin bounced in the north and trent lott ain't gettin bounced in the south) your jobs are safe if you practice smart balanced politics...they're not when you align yourself so heavily on your party rather than your constituents.

what last night wasn't = a mandate for democratic politics. It was what it was. America said, we don't like the direction we're going in, so someone (anyone) change it. If it were really about democrats, this would have been far more one sided.

I'm glad to see what happened happen. I think GWB needs to see that America is paying attention and the GOP will be left in the dust if it continues to act so arrogant.

I voted for santorum because some of his politics are close to mine...the hating gays part isn't mine, but I couldn't vote for Casey. He won anyway. This was another lets vote for the other guy who's not santorum, and that's Rick's fault. He overplayed his politics and tried to be a southern republican in a moderate rublican state. That's why spectre has been around so long.

anyway. Let's just hope we can get America back on track.....but who am I kidding?

I also happen to think that this sets up some big things in 2008 for Republicans. They needed to lose the arrogance. The problem is, it will result in living in the past for two years (impeachment, what happened in Iraq, etc) instead of looking ahead. This alone will make people see that the Democrats can't govern either. Remember (and PA just said it) this wasn't the Dems winning on issues, it was the Republicans losing on the status quo.

Funny, two years ago, the GOP took a razor thin victory by Bush, painted some pretty maps, and called it a landslide and mandate for change.

what last night wasn't = a mandate for democratic politics. It was what it was. America said, we don't like the direction we're going in, so someone (anyone) change it. If it were really about democrats, this would have been far more one sided.

He isn't the only voice with this statement. Politics moves on. We all see things through our own individual point of view.

So as of now, there are two open races left for the Senate - MT and VA. The numbers I have at the moment are:

MT: Tester (D) up by about 1800 votes, with 99% in.

VA: Webb (D) up by roughly 8000, with 99% in.

If these hold, its 51-49 Dems in the Senate, I believe.

On a seperate note... Whitney, the Green party candidate for IL Gov, finished with 10.58% of the vote. That's a whopper right there. They cleared the 5% threshold by a factor of 2.

Tester and Webb? Ran on something besides "We Hate Bush." Menendez in NJ, not so much.

I'll concede that there were a lot of races we won today out of anger about the need for accountability in 2006.

But that's something. Running on "we need to bring accountability back" which is what a lot of Democrats ran on is something positive in my opinion.

But even when you talk about what the GOP did in 1994 with their Contract and whatever, their message was a little clearer - but it was still very much a message of "we need change." And that's primarily an "Anybody but a Democrat" message.

Now, the hard work starts. Now Democrats have to earn those votes back in 2008. Which means Pelosi needs to work on getting her agenda passed.

Impeachment? Won't happen. Investigations? Hell yeah, and they need to happen too.

I know I'm getting all Mr Smith goes to Washington hopeful here, but I think that there's gonna be an emphasis on doing the right thing in Congress for at least a few months, if not a couple years. More so than we've seen since 1997.

And that can't be a bad thing.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
screw joe lieberman. all this s*** w/ montana and virginia wouldnt matter if he hadnt friggin run

:huh:

Lieberman will still vote Dem the majority of the time, and in fact he is counted in as a Dem in the current 49-49 split (with MT and VA undecided). Also, MT and VA would still have mattered. Lamont probably would have won CT, and they'd be in the exact same position of needing both those states to get to 51. How does Lieberman's run make MT and VA matter any more than they otherwise would have?