USA TODAY BASEBALL WEEKLY TRADE SUGGESTION

winninguglyin83

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
ARod could well be a winning player if he was ever teamed with a team with great pitching. Brian Cashman seems to be moving the Yankees in that direction, which scares the hell out of me.

Let me point out that he played with Randy Johnson for about 4 seasons. And let me point out (again) that the Mariners set the AL record for wins the season after he left. There were plenty of the same pitchers on that team that played with A-Rod (including Freddy Garcia). The Yankees can keep him and enjoy the stats and the eventual disappointment.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
Let me point out that he played with Randy Johnson for about 4 seasons. And let me point out (again) that the Mariners set the AL record for wins the season after he left. There were plenty of the same pitchers on that team that played with A-Rod (including Freddy Garcia). The Yankees can keep him and enjoy the stats and the eventual disappointment.

Exactly .Thats what happens when you tie up 25M a year with 1 player (minus what Texas is still paying) .Thats 25% or more of your entire payrole and still have to pay 24 other players with the balance .Obviously the Yanks are a different story but no one has Steins bankrole .

Arod is a great player but not worth the asking price .

Trading for A-Rod would free up salary over time.

The only way I would deal for A-rod is the yanks pay enough so that he costs only 10 mil per year. Trading Freddy + Crede would be a wash this year and Garcia is going to be a FA next year. Crede is getting close to FA as well so in the long term Garcia + Crede will cost more than A-Rod.

The difference now is that A-Rods contract at 10mil per year is a steal. Look at what A-Ram etc are wanting, you know Boras and Crede will want big money come FA time.

A-Rod is under contract and a marquis player.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
Trading for A-Rod would free up salary over time.

The only way I would deal for A-rod is the yanks pay enough so that he costs only 10 mil per year. Trading Freddy + Crede would be a wash this year and Garcia is going to be a FA next year. Crede is getting close to FA as well so in the long term Garcia + Crede will cost more than A-Rod.

The difference now is that A-Rods contract at 10mil per year is a steal. Look at what A-Ram etc are wanting, you know Boras and Crede will want big money come FA time.

A-Rod is under contract and a marquis player.

Iagree .Picking up Arod for 10M a year would make things a hell of alot more interesting .Im all for trading Garcia and or Javy but still not sure about Crede though .Its not easy giving up a guy thats a human vaccum at 3B .

On the other hand if a guy like Aramis can turn down 14M per year over 5 it makes me wonder what Crede will get on the free agent market next year .I know Crede doesnt have Aramis type numbers offesively but hes still not that far behind and is ALOT better defensively .I guess Ill just go with whatever jappens .

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)

So what was it exactly that Alex Rodriguez was doing in 2001 that hampered that team so mightely? What could Rodriguez possibly been doing that would hold a team back as much as he did seeing how the Mariners had 25 more wins in '01 than in '00? Maybe he was keeping the starting pitchers out late the nights before they pitched or perhaps A-Rod was teaching Sele, Abbott, Halama, Moyer, Garcia and the bullpen arms faulty mechanics?

Mariners 2000 Pitching Staff:

Sele - 4.51 ERA, 102 ERA+

Halama - 5.08 ERA, 90 ERA+

Abbott - 4.22 ERA, 108 ERA+

Moyer - 5.49 ERA, 83 ERA+

Garcia - 3.91 ERA, 117 ERA+

Sasaki - 3.16 ERA, 145 ERA+

Rhodes - 4.28 ERA, 107 ERA+

Paniagua - 3.47 ERA, 132 ERA+

Mesa - 5.36 ERA, 85 ERA+

COLLECTIVE STAFF NUMBERS: 4.50 ERA, 101 ERA+

Mariners 2001 Pitching Staff:

Sele - 3.60 ERA, 117 ERA+

Halama - 4.73 ERA, 89 ERA+

Abbott - 4.25 ERA, 99 ERA+

Moyer - 3.43 ERA, 123 ERA+

Garcia - 3.05 ERA, 138 ERA+

Sasaki - 3.24 ERA, 130 ERA+

Rhodes - 1.72 ERA, 245 ERA+

Paniagua - 4.36 ERA, 97 ERA+

Nelson - 2.76 ERA, 153 ERA+

COLLECTIVE STAFF NUMBERS: 3.54 ERA, 119 ERA+

That's .96 difference in ERA and 18 ERA+ from 2000 to 2001 for the Mariners pitching staff.

Alex Rodriguez Salary history:

'94 Seattle: $442,333

'95 Seattle: $442,333

'96 Seattle: $442,333

'97 Seattle: $1,062,500

'98 Seattle: $2,162,500

'99 Seattle: $3,112,500

'00 Seattle: $4,362,500

So Alex made $4,362,500M in 2000 while with the Mariners, hard to say he was holding them back financially.

Alex Rodriguez Playoff stats while with the Mariners:

'97 ALDS: 16 AB, .312/.312/.562/.874 | 2B, HR, RBI

'00 ALDS: 13 AB, .308/.308/.308/.616 | 2 RBI

'00 ALCS: 22 AB, .409/.480/.773/1.253 | 2 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI

Also hard to say he didn't earn his keep in the postseason especially with the 2000 ALCS numbers he put up.

So Alex Rodriguez is a loser because the 2001 Mariners had a much better season than they did the previous season? You're gonna need a little more evidence than that to convince me.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
A-rod sucks.

Screw AROD! He is the epitomy of what is wrong with modern baseball. Head case and he makes about U$20,000,000 too much each year X 10! Let the Cubs & Lou have him. His head shrink fees must be amazing. Why can't ALL baseball fans see & understand how and why these human knuckheads are making too much money, especially this guy.

Case in point: Aramis Ramirez takes pop ups off the head right in the Cub logo and can't find it in his heart to hustle to first base! Won't play out his contract? Where the hell was he for the first 3 months last season. Let's see what GM sucker signs that piece of crap! ARAM is a piece of sh**.

Joe Crede = bad back & best 3rd baseman in baseball! :drink

QUOTE(soxfan72 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
Screw AROD! He is the epitomy of what is wrong with modern baseball. Head case and he makes about U$20,000,000 too much each year X 10! Let the Cubs & Lou have him. His head shrink fees must be amazing. Why can't ALL baseball fans see & understand how and why these human knuckheads are making too much money, especially this guy.

Case in point: Aramis Ramirez takes pop ups off the head right in the Cub logo and can't find it in his heart to hustle to first base! Won't play out his contract? Where the hell was he for the first 3 months last season. Let's see what GM sucker signs that piece of crap! ARAM is a piece of sh**.

Joe Crede = bad back & best 3rd baseman in baseball! :drink

I'll take both of those lazy scumbags over Joe.

Trading for A-Rod just ain't going to work, unless you can clear some major salary first (e.g moving 2 SP's, which ain't really a good idea in itself unless you can sign a SP in FA to a cheaper deal), and the payroll increases by more than the $5-10M we expect it to.

And the infield defense decreases dramatically which doesn't bode well for our pitching staff.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
So Alex Rodriguez is a loser because the 2001 Mariners had a much better season than they did the previous season? You're gonna need a little more evidence than that to convince me.

How about the Rangers then, first in A-Rod's last season with them, and then the next season:

2003 Rangers: 71-91

2004 Rangers: 89-73

How about the Yankees becoming the first team in MLB history to blow a 3-0 lead... in A-Rod's first year with the team. Who can forget that utterly pathetic attempt to swat the ball out of the hands of the Boston first baseman?

I just think the guy is a losing player and I want no part of him. Read this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/maga...0925/index.html

It is disturbing. He is disturbing. The Yankees can keep him.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 01:22 AM)
How about the Yankees becoming the first team in MLB history to blow a 3-0 lead... in A-Rod's first year with the team. Who can forget that utterly pathetic attempt to swat the ball out of the hands of the Boston first baseman?

Since ARod was the one that didn't throw out Roberts; since ARod was the one that allowed the game-tying hit; since ARod was the one that allowed the game winning hits in both game 4 and 5; since ARod was the one who gave up the Damon grand slam.

That's mere coincidence, and everyone knows it. I bet ARod wins a World Series before his career is over.