Juan Uribe

TLAK

Associated Press:

Dominican prosecutor: No proof against White Sox shortstop Uribe in shooting

November 21, 2006

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) -- Dominican prosecutors say they've seen no proof that White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe had anything to do with the shooting of two men, and they will not pursue charges if no evidence is presented within 10 days.

Uribe, his brother and a friend were questioned and released following the Oct. 13 shooting that wounded a Dominican farmer and a captain in the Italian Navy in the coastal city of Juan Baron, about 40 miles southwest of Santo Domingo.

The farmer, Antonio Gonzalez Perez, said he was arguing with Uribe, a Dominican native, when the player pulled out a pistol and opened fire. The naval captain did not press charges. Uribe's lawyers said he was not in Juan Baron when the shooting occurred.

"We are giving the accuser 10 days to present some type of proof, because we have found nothing that demonstrates any type of guilt against Juan Carlos Uribe," District Attorney Robert Lugo told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Uribe reported Tuesday to the clubhouse of his Dominican winter league team, the Escogido Lions. He said he was pleased with the decision.

"I feel very happy because finally this is coming to an end. I am already relaxed and so I am here, ready to get started," he said.

Say what you will, I've always liked Uribe and wish him on the Southside for a good while unless Young is the replacement, or Furcal, or Tejada. But beyond that, I find him to be a good ninth hitter for the White Sox' purposes.

He's always been, to my knowledge, a great clubhouse guy and a good, nice man, too, so I'm glad he's okay and in the clear.