Does Notre Dame deserve a BCS bowl?

ND and the BCS  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Does Notre Dame deserve a BCS bowl?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very simple. YES, they deserve to go.

The way the BCS has played out this year, there are only two other teams that could possibly be chosen over them, Virginia Tech and Louisville if they finish 2nd to Louisville. Theoretically, West Virginia could gain eligibility if Rutgers loses, but why would you take a team that just lost to South Florida?

Folks there are NO other options unless Cal finds a way to vault 4 spots in the BCS this weekend, which won't happen.

So simplify the question. If you were a bowl committee, would you choose Virginia Tech or Louisville over Notre Dame. The answer is simple. HELL NO

Notre Dame is in, so stop the whining!!

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Ohio St - already in

Mich - already in

USC - already in

Louisville - will be them or Rutgers

Boise St. - already in

Florida - already in

Wisc - not eligible

Florida - I think you meant LSU here since Florida was listed above. LSU is in unless Arkansas beats Florida, then Florida and Arkansas are in and LSU is out

Oklahoma - - will be in or Nebraska, not both

Arkansas - only if they beat Florida

If you say no to a couple LSU and Auburn could go as well

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
It's very simple. YES, they deserve to go.

The way the BCS has played out this year, there are only two other teams that could possibly be chosen over them, Virginia Tech and Louisville if they finish 2nd to Louisville. Theoretically, West Virginia could gain eligibility if Rutgers loses, but why would you take a team that just lost to South Florida?

Folks there are NO other options unless Cal finds a way to vault 4 spots in the BCS this weekend, which won't happen.

So simplify the question. If you were a bowl committee, would you choose Virginia Tech or Louisville over Notre Dame. The answer is simple. HELL NO

Notre Dame is in, so stop the whining!!

Yeah i meant LSU, and trust me i know ND will be in a BCS Bowl, but they just scared me off after the Mich and ND Losses, i mean they didnt really even compete. I am no way a ND Hater either. Just My Opinion

Edited by Spod=Ratings

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 01:56 AM)
Yeah i meant LSU, and trust me i know ND will be in a BCS Bowl, but they just scared me off after the Mich and ND Losses, i mean they didnt really even compete. I am no way a ND Hater either. Just My Opinion

The I ask again. If they don't deserve it, who does? Va Tech? Louisville?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
1. Ohio State

2. USC

3. Michigan

4. Florida

5. LSU

6. Louisville

7. Oklahoma

8. Arkansas

9. Boise State

10. Auburn

the problem is that you cannot have 3 teams from one single conference which leaves auburn and arkansas out; then you get a weak ACC which only gets 1 team in since VaTech probably isn't high enough to garner an at large; now unless rutgers win this weekend and someone else wants to take a 1 loss louisville team ND still will most likely get in whether people think they will be or not

it's all about bringing the fans and getting the money to these bowls and ND will do that

The 3rd team rule was started prior to there being more BCS bowl games.

When a situation presents itself such as if Wisconsin, Michigan, and OSU all had 1 loss, and by virtue of big 10 rules Wisconsin had to be champ, you know the next year the rule would be changed so that the BCS could have gotten both OSU and Michigan.

It sucks for Wisconsin because they are a legitimate BCS team, only losing to Michigan this year. It also sucks for college football, because it gives a team like Wisconsin no incentive to schedule better teams. They might as well schedule powder puffs and hope for the best.

Edited by Soxbadger

I'm so sick of ND and their b****ing about rankings. Because, you know what, for that JV schedule they play, they sure as hell should be able to win at least 9 games, and hell, for being ranked in the preseason top 5, they should at least be able to beat one of the two good teams they played. And instead, they got their asses kicked by Michigan and USC, and should be embarassed for even playing a close game against MSU. Voters are a disgrace for their blind love of all things ND. And I swear to god, if I hear how great of a coach Fat Boy is again, I'm going to set the entire College Gameday setup on fire next week.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
I'm so sick of ND and their b****ing about rankings. Because, you know what, for that JV schedule they play, they sure as hell should be able to win at least 9 games, and hell, for being ranked in the preseason top 5, they should at least be able to beat one of the two good teams they played. And instead, they got their asses kicked by Michigan and USC, and should be embarassed for even playing a close game against MSU. Voters are a disgrace for their blind love of all things ND. And I swear to god, if I hear how great of a coach Fat Boy is again, I'm going to set the entire College Gameday setup on fire next week.

Don't hold anything back man, tell us how you really feel. :P

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)

Wisconsin has a JV schedule, just like ND's. Actually, ND played 2 elite teams this year, Wisconsin played 1.

at Bowling Green

WESTERN ILLINOIS

SAN DIEGO STATE

at Michigan

at Indiana

NORTHWESTERN

MINNESOTA

at Purdue

ILLINOIS

PENN STATE

at Iowa

BUFFALO

ND would be 1-loss playing that schedule. Hell, maybe they'd catch a few breaks and even beat Michigan.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)

I think its just imature to make fun of Weis and his weight. He almost died going through gastric bypass and was in coma several days, thus the limp. But of course, you must find something to make fun of him for because his coaching skills are unprecedented.

Wisconsin would beat ND.

Sorry but they both played Michigan, and Wisconsin played them much better. If anything it is possible had Wisconsin played Michigan later in the season when their WR's started to play much better that Wisconsin could have had a chance to beat Michigan. Not to mention Michigan played at ND, where as Wisconsin played at the Big House.

You seem to believe that because ND played a better team USC, and lost, that they are some how better than Wisconsin. Wisconsin beat the same quality of teams as ND.

I dont see why losing to a team should get you bonus points.

ND would be much more credible if they did not play teams like army and navy and joined conference to play real compentition. I would love to see ND v. Wisconsin. The fact that ND plays a JV schedule as was previous credibility earns them a lot of disrespect. It adds fuel to the fire for ND haters. Playing a real schedule would go a long way to saying STFU to ND haters like me.

2006 Strength of Schedule for teams in question (courtesy of Jeff Sagarin, contributor to the BCS formula):

OSU: 36th

USC: 3rd

Michigan: 13th

LSU: 25th

Louisville: 31st

Florida: 27th

Cal: 2nd

Arkansas: 49th

Tennessee: 10th

Boise State: 99th

ND: 19th

Auburn: 29th

Rutgers: 63rd

West Virginia: 48th

Wisconsin: 85th

But, but ND plays an awful schedule!!!111

But really, what I find most hilarious is all of the haters whining about media bias for ND. You do realize a large amount of poll voters, other coaches, media types, etc. DESPISE ND? For every one ND lover there's at least 2 ND haters.

In terms of bowls, it's about money, like it or not. It's not like this is a new concept either...the entire reason bowls exist is for revenue. Why do you think there's 30+ of them? ND is a national brand, travels well, and gets high ratings. Music to the networks and bowl organizers ears. Yea, it's not "fair", it's capitalism. Welcome to America.

Only solution to stopping "undeserving" teams is a playoff. And barring some miracle, that doesn't look like it's happening soon.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
2006 Strength of Schedule for teams in question (courtesy of Jeff Sagarin, contributor to the BCS formula):

OSU: 36th

USC: 3rd

Michigan: 13th

LSU: 25th

Louisville: 31st

Florida: 27th

Cal: 2nd

Arkansas: 49th

Tennessee: 10th

Boise State: 99th

ND: 19th

Auburn: 29th

Rutgers: 63rd

West Virginia: 48th

Wisconsin: 85th

But, but ND plays an awful schedule!!!111

Yeah, because it's easy to create an accurate mathematical ranking of schedule strength. Penn State and UCLA are clearly top 25 teams like they are in Sagarin's rankings, and Navy is clearly your typical 8-3 team even though their best wins are against Duke and Air Force.

It shouldn't be that hard to figure out that any system that has Notre Dame ahead of LSU in strength of schedule is totally bogus. LSU had to play at Auburn, at Florida, at Tennessee, and at Arkansas. That's 4 very tough games, and it's a major reason that LSU has 2 losses despite significant talent. They also played 3 other teams .500 or better from major conferences.

ND's first 3 games were pretty tough, but after that they were able to coast until playing USC. They played 5 very bad teams and another pretty bad one in MSU. Most teams don't get that kind of break in the middle of their season. At best it was a passable schedule, but it certainly wasn't particularly strong.