Gerald Ford Dies

Balta1701

Many, many years ago, Ford played in the Western Open Pro-Am. First Tee, he sliced it into the crowd and everyone laughed. Fifth green, he snaked in about a fifty-footer for a birdie and everyone cheered like he had actually won the tournament.

His epitaph ought to read: A good man thrust into problems not of his own making, and well beyond his control,

RIP, Jerry, you earned your peace.

An interesting side note I just found on CNN.com

According to AP, Ford was the last surviving member of the Warren Commission, which investigated the assassination of President Kennedy in 1963 and concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone assassin.

I wonder if this means we will see the release of more of the classified info soon?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
An interesting side note I just found on CNN.com

I wonder if this means we will see the release of more of the classified info soon?

I knew that. Which I don't say to be a know-it-all or anything but that's what I was referencing when I said, "He's taken his last fall" as Richard Nixon is on record as having called "The Warren Commission the greatest hoax perpetrated on mankind" and some believe that Ford's role on the commission was integral to the cover-up and his Vice Presidency was a reward. Wouldn't shock me.

Not to interject politics into this, but why is Reid, Durbin and 3 others still going on a junket to South America when an ex-President has died? Isn't it incumbent upon those in power in our government to attend such things as a funeral of an ex-President? And it isn't like they were out of the country when it happened, according to Reid it would have been 'too difficult to cancel'. Bull. And if some South American President or Dictator got mad at a cancelled meeting due to a funeral, oh well.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
Not to interject politics into this, but why is Reid, Durbin and 3 others still going on a junket to South America when an ex-President has died? Isn't it incumbent upon those in power in our government to attend such things as a funeral of an ex-President? And it isn't like they were out of the country when it happened, according to Reid it would have been 'too difficult to cancel'. Bull. And if some South American President or Dictator got mad at a cancelled meeting due to a funeral, oh well.

It'll be Bush's fault. Just wait and see.

Hopefully no one minds this, because I thought it was pretty interesting, but Gerald Ford was nearly Reagan's VP pick. As a matter of a fact he begged him to do so on multiple occasions, and could not convince him to do so. How different would the world be today if George HR Bush was NOT the VP during the 80's? The story is a pretty long read, but really interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16371870/site/newsweek/

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)

I honestly don't know what the normal expectations for something like that is. Did every Senator and House Rep attend Reagan's funeral? I really don't know.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 03:04 AM)
It'll be Bush's fault. Just wait and see.

:crying

Ah, the victim mentality again. Did we really need to go here in a thread about Ford's death?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
I honestly don't know what the normal expectations for something like that is. Did every Senator and House Rep attend Reagan's funeral? I really don't know.

I don't know if every Senator did, but whoever was in a leadership position sure did. It is just a simple matter of doing the right thing. Reid is in charge now, and needs to be at certain things, such as a state funeral for an ex-President. The group could have gone on without him, and that would probably have been ok, but as it is, it just doesn't seem right. And no, I am not saying it will be Bush's fault, this is all Reid. Maybe he isn't used to responsibility having been the minority for so long?

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
I don't know if every Senator did, but whoever was in a leadership position sure did. It is just a simple matter of doing the right thing. Reid is in charge now, and needs to be at certain things, such as a state funeral for an ex-President. The group could have gone on without him, and that would probably have been ok, but as it is, it just doesn't seem right. And no, I am not saying it will be Bush's fault, this is all Reid. Maybe he isn't used to responsibility having been the minority for so long?

I certainly am not a defender of Reid. I think he was the wrong choice for the role, myself. He is just way too much into the game in Washington. I do agree, the Senate majority leader would seem to be someone who needs to be there - its the right thing to do.