UFC Fight

soxwon

I should've just coughed up the $40 bucks to get it, but thought that I could just go up to a sports bar and watch it. I called about 5 places around me and none of them had it. I was really surprised by that. I guess it isn't that popular still.

Here is the summary of round 3, the last round from nbcsports:

"Third round: Liddell changed up tactics by throwing several bodyshots and leg shots before going for a roundhouse. Although most experts believed Ortiz came into the fight much better conditioned, Liddell looked like the fresher of the two. Ortiz connected with a big right hand, but it only served to wake up "The Iceman," who answered with several big uppercuts, rocking Ortiz backwards and to the ground. Ortiz tried to cover up, but Liddell kept up the pressure, throwing a barrage of punches until Mario Yamasaki stopped the fight."

I saw the fight at a friend's house.

Lidell busted Ortiz open BIG TIME, right above left eye, in the first round. The fight was almost called right there, as Lidell had Ortiz on the ground and was pounding away.

In the second round, Ortiz did a nice job of bouncing back, got some good shots in, and won the round (although he didn't have the near KO that Lidell did).

The third round, Lidell again got Ortiz on his back and just pounded away to finish the fight. Lidell's absolutely amazing on his feet.

Tito really fought about as good of a fight as he could against The Iceman, but he was forced to exchange punches because of Chuck's takedown defense. Chuck is just too damn tough to take down and hold down. I'm very happy Chuck won, but Tito suprised and impressed me with his graciousness in defeat. Bring on Rampage. Also, when will the mainstream media(Suntimes, Tribune, ESPN) start recognizing MMA as a real sport? It has elipsed boxing in popularity. Also, as someone who has trained in MMA for two years now, I can assure everyone that the guys who make it to the UFC and PRIDE are world class athletes.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
Ortiz is a cool guy so I'll be pulling for him.

Really? We must be watching different interviews.

Glad to see Chuck win. He really outclassed Tito in the 1st and 3rd round. I believe Kempo relies on a lot of counterstriking, so Chuck waited awhile for Tito to make his move.

Chuck was great tonight, his sprawl on Tito's takedown attempts was great.

Whole card was good. Some good KO's and a sick submission of Leben.

I am so jacked to see Rampage in UFC, and Cro Cop is sick, he will be awesome. I can't wait to see him destroy Tim Sylvia

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
Tito really fought about as good of a fight as he could against The Iceman, but he was forced to exchange punches because of Chuck's takedown defense. Chuck is just too damn tough to take down and hold down. I'm very happy Chuck won, but Tito suprised and impressed me with his graciousness in defeat. Bring on Rampage. Also, when will the mainstream media(Suntimes, Tribune, ESPN) start recognizing MMA as a real sport? It has elipsed boxing in popularity. Also, as someone who has trained in MMA for two years now, I can assure everyone that the guys who make it to the UFC and PRIDE are world class athletes.

Really? We must be watching different interviews.

I had the same thought last night. I saw the PPV, so I didn't need to read about it, but I still checked SI.com to see if they would have an article covering the fights. They didn't.

Tito did have one comment that was classless, which is his style, but overall I thought his post-fight interview was very honest. Instead of making excuses for losing, he admitted in great candor that he fought about as good as he's capable, and gave respect to Liddell for beating him at his best. Tito also seemed genuine in letting down his fans and gave the appearance that he really cared for them.

To the fight, I was really impressed with Liddell's strategy. From his comments and calculated fighting choices, he was not going to let Tito take his belt by decision by outlasting him with superior conditioning and late round victories. This was apparant especially in the second round--which Liddell likely lost--when he chose not to attack Tito after Tito's missed haymakers failed to connect, leaving him exposed to counter strikes.

I thought referee Mario Yamasaki made a great decision to allow the fight to continue in the first round because Tito did a good job defending the Liddell punches.

Liddell's third round was great. Joe Rogan mentioned that Liddell's camp believed the Iceman's body shots really hurt Tito in their previous fight. We saw Iceman connect two hard body punches on Tito in the third, setting up a big right hand shot to Tito's head. That was the sequence that ultimately lead to Liddell's victory.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 07:32 AM)
Whole card was good. Some good KO's and a sick submission of Leben.

Leben was the red/pink-haired dude, correct?

He's one tough S.O.B. I know he lost the fight, but it didn't look for a second like he was even thinking of tapping out. He fought through that thing until he could no longer breathe and eventually was knocked out cold.