Depth

StatManDu

The more I look at this roster (and shake off the disappointment from 2006) from top to bottom, the more excited I get about the 2007 season.

Darrin Erstad ... Toby Hall ... Junior Spivey ....

In the pre-World Series years, players such as those would probably be starters or vie for starting slots. Now, of course, they are backups, insurance policies. I liken the signing of Darin Erstad to the Bears' signing of Brian Griese in case Rex Grossman flamed out or got injured again.

I am racking my brain but I think when you consider highly-regarded prospects such as Sweeney and Fields, the regulards and the acquisition of Erstad, Hall and Spivey, this may be the most "fortified" roster the White Sox have taken to spring training in a long time ... maybe ever?

The problem comes, of course, is if the starting lineup is: Sweeney, Anderson, Ozuna, Fields, Spivey, Cintron, Erstad and Hall.

www.whitesoxalmanac.com

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Erstad sucks, Spivey sucks and was signed to a MLC, while there are no open spots on the active roster for him (or 40-man IIRC, but I could be wrong about that).

That being said, Erstad is better in CF than Mack :P

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
Erstad sucks, Spivey sucks and was signed to a MLC, while there are no open spots on the active roster for him (or 40-man IIRC, but I could be wrong about that).

That being said, Erstad is better in CF than Mack :P

How can you say that Erstad sucks? He played in 40 games last year and was hurt. In 2005 he hit .273 and in 2004 hit .295.

Erstad is a solid back-up if he can stay healthy, in no way does he SUCK.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
We still don't have a back-up righty outfielder. That's inexcusable after last season.

Brian Anderson could be one of those guys and Pablo will probably be the other. Anderson will start against all lefties (maybe against most righties too, we shall see) and Pablo will obviously play LF for Pods. I realize its not the power bat off the bench that some people wanted, but I think it isn't quite accurate to say we don't have any righty bats that can play outfield (although I know some of you don't like seeing Pablo out in LF defensively, but for the most part he is a solid bat when he plays, he adds speed, does the things our manager likes, and has a good attitude).

But I am a Pablo fan considering I think we need guys like him if we have Ozzie as manager. In fact, I have really liked what Ozzie has been saying most of this off-season (now whether he follows through with what he's said is another story).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
We still don't have a back-up righty outfielder. That's inexcusable after last season.

Now there is a statement I agree with. Luis Terrero is NOT the answer for a backup right handed batter.

Hopefully it won't bite us in the ass....but it probably will.

Our team is better.

Perfect.

No

But nobody has a perfect team.

It's going to come down to Buehrle, Vaz, Contreras, Garland and the fifth starter. The lineup is good enough to win. We saw that in the first half of last season. But if the starters struggle again, especially Buehrle and Jose, like the did the second half of last season, we'll struggle, too.

I think the bullpen will be better -- although I think Sisco could be a bust and I'm not convinced Thornton can have another good year like last year.

But Jenks, MacDougal and the young guys from the right side have possibilities.

Starting pitching will tell the story.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
How can you say that Erstad sucks? He played in 40 games last year and was hurt. In 2005 he hit .273 and in 2004 hit .295.

Erstad is a solid back-up if he can stay healthy, in no way does he SUCK.

He sucks because he cannot stay healthy, and when he is healthy (which is no common thing mind you), he still isn't very good. He's posted 2 seasons with OPS's above .700 since 2000 (although yes, injury plagued seasons) and really isn't that good a player. So yea, he sucks.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Our team is better.

Perfect.

No

But nobody has a perfect team.

It's going to come down to Buehrle, Vaz, Contreras, Garland and the fifth starter. The lineup is good enough to win. We saw that in the first half of last season. But if the starters struggle again, especially Buehrle and Jose, like the did the second half of last season, we'll struggle, too.

I think the bullpen will be better -- although I think Sisco could be a bust and I'm not convinced Thornton can have another good year like last year.

But Jenks, MacDougal and the young guys from the right side have possibilities.

Starting pitching will tell the story.

true all that matters for our team is pitching and defense

QUOTE(rpmahr @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
true all that matters for our team is pitching and defense

Which is why having Ozuna, a well below average MLB defensive outfielder, as our main back-up is inexcusable. He cost us a few games early last season with his bad defense. It's just stunning to me that we didn't do jacks*** this offseason to upgrade any part of our LF situation.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Which is why having Ozuna, a well below average MLB defensive outfielder, as our main back-up is inexcusable. He cost us a few games early last season with his bad defense. It's just stunning to me that we didn't do jacks*** this offseason to upgrade any part of our LF situation.

# of games the White Sox lost in 2006 due to Ozuna's outfield defense

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
Brian Anderson could be one of those guys and Pablo will probably be the other. Pablo will obviously play LF for Pods. I realize its not the power bat off the bench that some people wanted

Who are these people and who said they could talk?

How in the universe could these people logically think that the top home run hitting team in baseball needs to add more power to it's outfield bench. I agree, though, that it would have put us in the playoffs if this hypothetical backup outfielder could also be an above average major league starting pitcher for 4 out of every 5 games.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
He sucks because he cannot stay healthy, and when he is healthy (which is no common thing mind you), he still isn't very good. He's posted 2 seasons with OPS's above .700 since 2000 (although yes, injury plagued seasons) and really isn't that good a player. So yea, he sucks.

Based on what you are saying, StatManDu should probably change his name since he is not looking at your statistics. From what I have seen of his first 47 posts, he is much more of a trivia/history/nostalgia guy than his name suggests. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Histrionics

2. Nostalgiamus

3. FactManDu

The last is my personal favorite and probably the most apprpriate since the guy is a wealth of baseball knowledge, in particular anything that has to do with the White Sox. It also is a simple change that the moderators may allow without knocking him down to no-post rookie status. Also, all us older fans seem to like him and the tears he helps bring to our eyes every now and then. My only concern is the change would cause him to become arrogant and think that he has all the answers. He seems like a good guy, however, so it should not be an issue.

QUOTE(supernuke @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 11:37 AM)
Both of which are

In Mackowiak's case, that is only because the pitchers were on the mound more than he was in CF. Put him in CF for 162 games, and based on his performance last year, we lose more games because of Mack in CF than because of the pitching.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)

What do you mean fathom? can't Erstad be used in right if needed or one of the others we have now (Pods/Anderson?Sweeney)? I know Dye is just a bush league rookie for crying out loud, but he's passable. :D :bang

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)

That's what Mack is for - LF. If you really need a righty bat here and there, then go with Ozuna as a PH.

I think we are really reaching if our concern is "righty backup outfielder". That's way, way down the list of concerns, behind things like starting pitching, starting pitching, starting pitching, Juan Uribe, leadoff hitter, CF situation, defense in general, Ozzie's managing, injuries, young bullpen, and a few dozen other things.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
That's what Mack is for - LF. If you really need a righty bat here and there, then go with Ozuna as a PH.

I think we are really reaching if our concern is "righty backup outfielder". That's way, way down the list of concerns, behind things like starting pitching, starting pitching, starting pitching, Juan Uribe, leadoff hitter, CF situation, defense in general, Ozzie's managing, injuries, young bullpen, and a few dozen other things.

Exactly, by acquiring Erstad the plan is that you now have both Erstad and Mack as capable LF backups as well as Ozuna. In addition, you know that Mack will not play CF which means if needed we could easily start him full time in LF (and no one would tell me he would be that horrible out there on a full time basis, not great either, but I could see a .270, 15, 75 or so line).

what would be the problem with having some kind of rotation in center and left with anderson, erstad, and pods...and then throwing ozuna and mack in when needed...i dont understand why everyone is jumping off the b-anderson band wagon just because he had a rough rookie season...i remember when crede and garland sucked...everyone just relax spring training hasnt even started yet

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)

Good post. Its called missing the forest for the trees. In the quest to be the most ultimate fan ever, sometimes people get too caught up on minute details, and miss the big picture. The Sox aren't going to sink or swim based on who their 4th/5th OFers are, their back up catcher is, or anything like that. 2007 is all about the pitching that the White Sox get. The rest is just window dressing.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)

Winnah. I second this.

Pitching/defense (defense starting with: Uribe?).

What is the latest on Juan anyway? Is the judge gonna let up on him or what?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
Good post. Its called missing the forest for the trees. In the quest to be the most ultimate fan ever, sometimes people get too caught up on minute details, and miss the big picture. The Sox aren't going to sink or swim based on who their 4th/5th OFers are, their back up catcher is, or anything like that. 2007 is all about the pitching that the White Sox get. The rest is just window dressing.

Actually, a right handed hitting outfielder who can play LF is very important. Some might consider Ozuna passable in LF....I don't. I love his hustle and what he brings to the team on offense, but his defense is mediocre. Just like having a strong back-up righty catcher, it's very important in our division to have someone we can play in LF against the likes of C.C., Johan, etc. We need all the help we can get on offense vs tough LHP. I love how people like to say it's minute details, but it's those tiny details which really hurt us last year (lack of back-up CF, terrible back-up catcher, no long relief). There were numerous games where are pathetic back-up outfielders (as well as our disgraceful starting LF) added about 3 or 4 more earned runs to our starting pitcher due to not making a routine play or making a bone-headed decision. It seems like Garland really suffered from terrible defense the first few months of the season.

Edited by fathom