Favorite Boardgame

Controlled Chaos

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
Just to let everyone know, they completely re-worked and ruined the game of Life sometime in the mid 90's. The game now is "see who gets the highest salary." That's basically all there is to it now.

That's really all it's ever been. The only thing that really evens it out is the ability to play the stock market and the fact that they give you money for each kid at the end. Still a fun game though.

Off the top of my head, the games we have at our house are: a few of the Scene It games, Uno, Uno Attack, Scategories, Sorry, Sorry Revenge, Monopoly, Life and a really old game called The Winning Ticket.

This game is great fun when you have 4 people. Tripoley is good for 6-8 people.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
That's really all it's ever been. The only thing that really evens it out is the ability to play the stock market and the fact that they give you money for each kid at the end. Still a fun game though.

Now they don't even give you money for kids and there's not stock market.

Uno is probably my family's favorite. We like to play dirty in that you can 'stack' draw two and draw fours and we play match (ie a green 8 is played you call match and play your green 8 whether it's your turn or not.) it makes it more exciting and faster.

Trumpet is another card game we play and a trivia game called Perfect 10 we've been playing as well.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 01:18 PM)
No backgammon mentions? booooo!

Looove Backgammon. Sign up to GammonEmpire and I'll give you a game sometime Play money/real money whatever.

As for group games, as we are a little tight with our money around these parts we tend to find it odd paying £30-£40 for a game so we play the "name game". This is a rip off of some published game or other. You work in pairs, firstly rip up a load of paper and write the names of famouse people, past or present, real or fictional, about 30 per pair. Fold them up and drop them into a bowl.

There are three rounds.

Round one. One member of the pair has 60 seconds to discribe this person to his/her partner, any that you dont get go back in the bowl. keep going until bowl is empty.

Round two. Same again BUT you can only use one word.

Round three. No words or sounds, just actions.

Obviously the winning pair is the one with most right at the end.

Try it after a few drinks and I guarantee you'll be in stitches.

A neat game that I'm not sure if it's still in print or not is a game called PokerKub. The board is identicle to that of Scrabble with the double/triple letter and word scores for the tiles that are used. The difference? PokerKub doesn't use letters. Instead, it has poker cards for the tiles. The better the poker hand, the better the score. The higher rank in the card/tile, the higher the point value. You interconnect onto others previous plays just like Scrabble.

One of my eBay conquests is a GROUP THERAPY board game, still in excellent condition.

Most of you will know this as the board game they played on ALL IN THE FAMILY (with the "WITH IT" and "COP OUT" voting cards) where Mike thought everyone was ganging up on him.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
Looove Backgammon. Sign up to GammonEmpire and I'll give you a game sometime Play money/real money whatever.

Boy if I had any free time left, I would have to take you up on that offer... Is backgammon still big in England? It pretty much was huge here in the late 70's and early 80's, and has pretty much faded away since then. The only reason I picked it up was that is was my families official game during the holidays.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
Boy if I had any free time left, I would have to take you up on that offer... Is backgammon still big in England? It pretty much was huge here in the late 70's and early 80's, and has pretty much faded away since then. The only reason I picked it up was that is was my families official game during the holidays.

I believe there are still some clubs about. I only play with family and on the internet.

Edited by DePloderer