Brian Anderson's Injury

Brian Anderson injured himself on a swing this afternoon and couldn't complete running to first base. He left the field limping.

Any word/update on his condition? How does this affect his chances of starting on the 25 man roster now? Please post any updates here. I haven't been able to find any news yet.

Brian Anderson has the potential to be a good player, but after watching him at the plate Thursday and again today, it's obvious he's not quite major league ready yet. He keeps jumping back at every strike over the inside part of the plate and the opposition is beginning to pound him inside pitch after pitch. He looked silly on that swing on which he hurt himself today.

I hope he's OK so he doesn't have to go on the DL, but it may be better for him to start the season in AAA so he can work on his new approach at the plate while starting everyday. If the Sox need him, he's only a phone call away.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 12:59 AM)
Brian Anderson has the potential to be a good player, but after watching him at the plate Thursday and again today, it's obvious he's not quite major league ready yet. He keeps jumping back at every strike over the inside part of the plate and the opposition is beginning to pound him inside pitch after pitch. He looked silly on that swing on which he hurt himself today.

And yet, silliness aside, he's hitting .276/.353/.448 in Arizona -- better than Grinder can say.

I think what Brian needs is some 'moxie'. Or some 'swagger'. Maybe then he'll be embraced.

That swing did not look good. Hawk *laughing* said it looked like he could pull an achilles, oblique, and hamstring on the same swing. Then he could barely make it to first.

If he is injured for more than a few days, it will give Ozzie more justification to send him to AAA.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
And yet, silliness aside, he's hitting .276/.353/.448 in Arizona -- better than Grinder can say.

I guess that proves he's way better than Iguchi, too. And what's Terrero hitting? Spring training stats mean almost nothing most of the time. Why did you mention "Grinder"???

Anderson has been looking bad at the plate the past two games he's played. That swing today looked sick, and I'm afraid he hurt himself enough to miss some time. I hope he's OK. Still, the kid's not quite ML ready yet, IMHO.

The question is, how bad is he hurt and how does this affect his chances of making the club now? And most importantly, how does this affect the White Sox opening day roster?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 08:12 PM)

I think what Brian needs is some 'moxie'. Or some 'swagger'. Maybe then he'll be embraced.

You are correct, Rowand has been horrible this spring .154/.190/.256

I'm a Rowand fan--no abuse, please!--BUT what happened to Brian looked serious.

It was painfully reminiscent of that godawful injury that Garciaparra suffered when starting towards first base a few years ago. I hope it's not that severe, because he lost a whole season I think.

I wish him the best and hope it's just a minor tweak. Somehow I think it's not. Man, injuries to the groin or those inner thigh muscles--been there, done that. They HURT and take forever to heal. I'd rather break a bone. At least that's only six weeks.

I doubt we'll hear much until tomorrow at the earliest.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 01:23 AM)
The question is, how bad is he hurt and how does this affect his chances of making the club now? And most importantly, how does this affect the White Sox opening day roster?

My apologies -- I sort of derailed the thread a bit.

And I understand about ST stats -- believe me, I'm not even going to go into that. But Ozzie seems to want to put a job on the line by how people do during ST, and so far, Anderson has been better.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
I'm a Rowand fan--no abuse, please!--BUT what happened to Brian looked serious.

It was painfully reminiscent of that godawful injury that Garciaparra suffered when starting towards first base a few years ago. I hope it's not that severe, because he lost a whole season I think.

I wish him the best and hope it's just a minor tweak. Somehow I think it's not. Man, injuries to the groin or those inner thigh muscles--been there, done that. They HURT and take forever to heal. I'd rather break a bone. At least that's only six weeks.

I doubt we'll hear much until tomorrow at the earliest.

I hope it's not that serious but I'm afraid it might be. If Anderson is hurt enough where he can't play for months, the Sox are in bad shape for a backup plan in CF. At least having Brian at AAA assured the Sox of a good defensive alternative with at least some major league experience should Erstad get injured. Now all they have is Terrero and a few not yet ready minor leaguers (Sweeney, Owens). This is not good for a team contending for first place in baseball's toughest division! :(

People, this thread is about Brian Andersons injury . I am sure ALL south side fire works man is trying to get is an UPDATE. Why must this turn into another Brian vs the Grinders thread? Don't we have another thread(s) for that? I suggest pinning a Brian Anderson thread , because it is getting annoying sorting through all the trash . I would like to know BA is alright too.

Asking how it affects BAs chances of making the 25 man roster have everything to do with the BA talk thats dominated the boards for a while now. Its pretty obvious that injury or no injury though, the roster in terms of OFers has been set for a while now.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
Heh, BA had approximately 0% chance of being in Chicago to start the season even if he had hit for 2 cycles today, sadly.

Yay for Pods/Erstad/Dye outfields!!

Shows what u know. Sox fans seem to have no clue how bad Erstad is at this point in his career. If he starts, we will be sorry.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
Shows what u know. Sox fans seem to have no clue how bad Erstad is at this point in his career. If he starts, we will be sorry.

Heh, trust me...its not the outfield I want. Was a bit of sarcasm there.

You won't find a bigger supporter of an Erstad/BA/Dye OF with Pods on the bench than me, but its not happening. Anderson is going to Charlotte, injury or not.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
Pods, Erstad, Dye = OF

Terrero = 4th OF

That's pretty much how I see it and I was OK with that as long as I knew a healthy Anderson was in AAA playing everyday, ready to join the team if needed. Now, if Brian is indeed injured seriously, I'm not comfortable with the outfield stuation at all. At least we knew Brian could play major league defense in CF.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heh, trust me...its not the outfield I want. Was a bit of sarcasm there.

You won't find a bigger supporter of an Erstad/BA/Dye OF with Pods on the bench than me, but its not happening. Anderson is going to Charlotte, injury or not.

Alright, I haven't been on here much lately, so forgive me ignorance. WTF is all this s*** about BA not starting? Is it that stuff about him partying or what? I'm really puzzled as to why the hell Erstad would be starting CF instead of BA (not putting this injury into account).

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
That's pretty much how I see it and I was OK with that as long as I knew a healthy Anderson was in AAA playing everyday, ready to join the team if needed. Now, if Brian is indeed injured seriously, I'm not comfortable with the outfield stuation at all. At least we knew Brian could play major league defense in CF.

Well if nothing else, it could be Terreros chance to really shine if he can handle MLB pitching at the plate. Seeing as we have so many eggs in the perverbial Brian Anderson basket in CF, it would be nice to see someone else step up, just in case.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
Alright, I haven't been on here much lately, so forgive me ignorance. WTF is all this s*** about BA not starting? Is it that stuff about him partying or what? I'm really puzzled as to why the hell Erstad would be starting CF instead of BA (not putting this injury into account).

In not so subtle ways, Guillen already stated that, even prior to the injury today, BA was the odd man out this year. He doesnt want him to get sparse ABs off the bench(which I agree wouldn't help), and has a man crush for Erstad despite the fact that he hasn't played an efficient CF in years. So we will have Pods/Erstad/Dye as our defensive OF from left to right, with what most of us are guessing as Terrero as the 4th OFer off the bench.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
In not so subtle ways, Guillen already stated that, even prior to the injury today, BA was the odd man out this year. He doesnt want him to get sparse ABs off the bench(which I agree wouldn't help), and has a man crush for Erstad despite the fact that he hasn't played an efficient CF in years. So we will have Pods/Erstad/Dye as our defensive OF from left to right, with what most of us are guessing as Terrero as the 4th OFer off the bench.

That, right there, gives us one of the worst defensive outfields that I can remember in years. Mercy!

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)
That, right there, gives us one of the worst defensive outfields that I can remember in years. Mercy!

That won't matter, it will have 2 real GRINDERS out there for us, so all will be fine!!

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
Sweeney's not a centerfielder, and he's getting eaten alive this spring. He needs AAA.

Sweeney, however, can play above average D in CF. Also, he has just been having a bad spring. You can't tell me his last 3 spring trainings were flukes. Especially his first one when he was only 19.

And if Ryan Sweeney is dominanting AAA this year, which I expect he will be, and we are having CF problems, why not stick him out there in CF?