Alford to New Mexico?

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
Actually, C-lo's deal is close to being done to stay at SIU! Reported deal is between $600-$700 thousand. THANK GOD!

Also, Dana Altman from Creighton is the front runner in the Iowa job.

At this point, there appears to be no frontrunner.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)
At this point, there appears to be no frontrunner.

At this point the Iowa message boards are ridiculous. People are acting like we are the premiere job opening in the country. However, I think we could get either Lowery and I would be stunned if we didn't get Altman (who is my realistic guy that I want hired).

Altman has made the tourney something like 6 out of the last 8 years, has had success in the midwest and as such should be able to recruit and utilize his contacts in the midwest and he's a pretty darn good coach.

Lowery is a guy I'd really like but I think he'll go to Michigan because they would probably offer a bit more money. I also heard that Lowery was gonna get more like 500-550 from Southern Ill and that they couldn't go higher (and no I don't know anything other than I read and heard on ESPN about how much SIU can offer). I'd think Iowa could go into the 800-900K range, Michigan could go right around a mill (now I don't know if they'll do that) and to me thats too much money over a 4 or 5 year contract to turn down if your Lowery (especially to move into a conference that has a much larger margin for error; lets be honest, as good as the valley is, and its good, you still typically have only 2 or 3 teams make it which means you have to be damn near perfect to get in, where in the big ten even in a bad year you get typically six, sometimes more, which means you have a better chance of making the tourney and making noise).

Lets be honest, we are talking about getting paid as much as an extra 2 million dollars over 5 years (that would be small if we are talking some 100 mill contract, but we are talking about a contract that would be either 2.5 million over 5 years or 5 million or so over 5 years (give or take a few hundred K). Thats a big freaking difference.

Iowa might not be the premier job right now, but it is a pretty good job. They pay well, play in the Big Ten, rank pretty high in tournament appearances. In fact, when Alford took over the program, Iowa was second in the Big Ten in all time tournament appearances. Its not the second class job Alford made it out to be as he walked out the door. This program is a sleeping giant. Put a decent team out there and its a guaranteed sellout. Carver Hawkeye Arena is a crazy place to be when the Hawks have a decent team. When Lute Olson left, the hot coach on the move was George Raveling. Iowa got him. When Raveling left, they were able to lure Dr. Tom from Stanford, and when they decided not to extend Dr. Tom, Alford was the hot name. To me, Altman would be OK, a safe choice, but certainly not a home run. I'd rather have Lon Kruger myself. I don't know if he has any interest, but initially his name was the hot name.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
Iowa might not be the premier job right now, but it is a pretty good job. They pay well, play in the Big Ten, rank pretty high in tournament appearances. In fact, when Alford took over the program, Iowa was second in the Big Ten in all time tournament appearances. Its not the second class job Alford made it out to be as he walked out the door. This program is a sleeping giant. Put a decent team out there and its a guaranteed sellout. Carver Hawkeye Arena is a crazy place to be when the Hawks have a decent team. When Lute Olson left, the hot coach on the move was George Raveling. Iowa got him. When Raveling left, they were able to lure Dr. Tom from Stanford, and when they decided not to extend Dr. Tom, Alford was the hot name. To me, Altman would be OK, a safe choice, but certainly not a home run. I'd rather have Lon Kruger myself. I don't know if he has any interest, but initially his name was the hot name.

The issue is Gary Barta at this point.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 05:57 PM)
Iowa will announce "within the next 24 hours"

Come oooooooooon majerus

I really hope it's not Majerus, he's not willing to do the I-Club/fundraising events that the position requires. On top of that he's just a huge jerk. Lots of mentions of Lickliter and Crean around here, with a possibility of Romar. I think there's a Barta/Romar connection from a while back and that's where that rumor's coming from. I'll be happy with any of them because they're not Alford, lol.