Elizabeth Edwards' cancer has returned

Soxy

Very sad.

Edwards to continue campaign despite return of wife's cancer

The Associated Press

Published March 22, 2007, 11:31 AM CDT

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards said today that his wife's cancer has returned and is no longer curable, but is treatable.

But he said he will continue his campaign.

"We are very optimistic about this," he said.

Edwards said Elizabeth Edwards' cancer is "confined in bone, which is a good thing."

The annoucement came a day after Elizabeth Edwards visited doctors who are monitoring her recovery from breast cancer.

Edwards has registered double digits in public opinion polls, has been considered a top-tier candidate although he trails front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama.

The campaign had said Mrs. Edwards, 57, had a follow-up appointment Wednesday to a routine test she had Monday. The campaign explained that she had similar follow-ups in the past but they always resulted in a clean bill of health.

Mrs. Edwards discovered a lump in her breast in the final days of the 2004 campaign, when her husband was the Democratic vice presidential nominee. He announced the diagnosis the day after he and presidential nominee John Kerry lost the election to President Bush.

Mrs. Edwards was diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer, the most common type of breast cancer. It can spread from the milk ducts to other parts of the breast and beyond.

She wrote about her life, including her breast cancer treatment, in a book published last year called ``Saving Graces.'' She had surgery and underwent several months of radiation and chemotherapy.

Mrs. Edwards, born in Jacksonville, Fla., grew up between the United States and Japan because of her father's career as a Navy pilot. She met her future husband at University of North Carolina law school.

The Edwardses have been married nearly 30 years and had four children. Their oldest child, Wade, died in a car accident in 1996.

``During the (2004) campaign, people who knew we had lost a son said, 'You are so strong,' and when I had breast cancer people would say, 'You are so strong,' and I thought, 'They don't know that there's a trick to being strong, and the trick is that nobody does it alone,''' she said in an interview with The Associated Press last year. ``I wanted, from the perspective of someone going through it, not tell them what to do, but show them what great support I got.''

John Edwards has been a strong contender in the 2008 Democratic race, leading in early polls of the important Iowa caucus-goers who will cast the first ballots in January. His wife has served as his closest political adviser in both his campaigns.

Very sad. I think it's a lose-lose for Edwards and the decision to drop out or not. Mostly, good thoughts out to Mrs. Edwards and hopefully they can both keep enough perspective down the line to know whether it's more important to stay in the race or spend the time together.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
She beat it once, so let's hope she can beat it again. I noticed they said it was no longer "curable"... so the best they can hope for is remission?

Prayers go out to her and her family during this.

Prayers are defintely out.

I wondered what they meant by the comment about it no longer being curable.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
:pray

Hopefully she is comfortable, and the campaign doesn't take John away from her too much.

I can't imagine they'd have continued the campaign "strongly" if they thought it was going to take away from her chances at treatment and so forth.

Unless that's the only way she can get health coverage.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
I can't imagine they'd have continued the campaign "strongly" if they thought it was going to take away from her chances at treatment and so forth.

Unless that's the only way she can get health coverage.

I'd hope they'd not compromise treatment in any way. I'm just thinking more about time spent on the campaign trail being private time lost if it turns out they have a finite amount. I can see Mrs. Edwards looking past herself and thinking that carrying on with the campaign is to the greater good, but I hope it's not a decision they will regret.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 12:19 PM)
I'd hope they'd not compromise treatment in any way. I'm just thinking more about time spent on the campaign trail being private time lost if it turns out they have a finite amount. I can see Mrs. Edwards looking past herself and thinking that carrying on with the campaign is to the greater good, but I hope it's not a decision they will regret.

That's kind of what I was trying to say. Family>politics no matter what.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
Prayers are defintely out.

I wondered what they meant by the comment about it no longer being curable.

During their press conference, one of them said that their doctor compared it to Diabetes, in that it's now something that's in a spot that can't be operated on, so it just sort of has to sit there and medics have to do what they can to make sure it doesn't move.

:pray to the family and friends.

Since the news conference was to announce he is continuing to run, I don't feel bad mentioning this. I wonder how the other campaigns will handle this issue. I believe there are some legitimate questions to be asked, foremost, how does he see balancing the pressures of running the US and supporting his wife?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
:pray to the family and friends.

Since the news conference was to announce he is continuing to run, I don't feel bad mentioning this. I wonder how the other campaigns will handle this issue. I believe there are some legitimate questions to be asked, foremost, how does he see balancing the pressures of running the US and supporting his wife?

I doubt any of the candidates even mention it, if they know what's good for them. No way to look good doing that. Besides, the question will be asked in the media anyway - the other candidates won't have to.