4/8 Games

danman31

Pawtucket 3 @ Charlotte 4, 12 innings

Game was tied 1-1 after 11, Pawtucket scored 2 in top half of 12th, Knights answered with 3 in bottom half.

Fields 2-5, HR, K

Sweeney 1-4, R, BB

Floyd 6 IP, 1 R, 5 K, 1 BB, 4 hits

Carolina 4 @ Birmingham 6

Getz 1-4, R, SB

Collaro 3-4, 3B, HR, 3 RBI, R, K (7-17 with 3 XBH on the year so far)

Lucy 1-3, 2B, R

Whisler 5 IP, 3 R (0 ER)

Wing 3 IP, 0 R, 3 K, 0 BB, 0 hits (W)

Kannapolis 4 @ Columbus 5

Shelby 1-5 with a HR to leadoff the game

Carter 1-4, 2B, R, 2 K

Gomes 1-2, 2B, RBI, R, BB

Hernandez 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, K

Long 4 IP, 3 R (start)

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
Long impressive so far thru three innings, 1 run and 3 k's. Maybe his stuff is back cause when he is on, he has a deadly two pitch combination: mid-to high-90's fastball and a hard 12-6 curve.

Nice to see the Sox have Floyd on the same schedule as Danks which is very smart, because if you were a betting man you'd say that if the Sox were going to ever need Floyd up as a starter it would be to replace Danks (with them figuring Danks needs more seasoning).

I agree on Long. He was really tired last season and it showed and hopefully the full off-season has him fresh because with his stuff there is no reason he shouldn't succeed. Plus I like that the Sox are stretching him out as a starter (even though he projects as a reliever) because it will force him to actually develop some other pitchers which will help him a lot once he shifts over to the pen (where he'd only rely on his two pitches and make little development outside of that).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
Nice to see the Sox have Floyd on the same schedule as Danks which is very smart, because if you were a betting man you'd say that if the Sox were going to ever need Floyd up as a starter it would be to replace Danks (with them figuring Danks needs more seasoning).

I agree on Long. He was really tired last season and it showed and hopefully the full off-season has him fresh because with his stuff there is no reason he shouldn't succeed. Plus I like that the Sox are stretching him out as a starter (even though he projects as a reliever) because it will force him to actually develop some other pitchers which will help him a lot once he shifts over to the pen (where he'd only rely on his two pitches and make little development outside of that).

Gavin Floyd pitched very well today.

6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K's

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...pawaaa_chraaa_1

Josh Fields also got his first hit of the season, in the 10th inning.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)

I really like this approach by the organization, we all know Longs future is in the BP, i wouldn't mind seeing them do this with more good BP arms, maybe even Logan.

also glad to see Josh go 2-5 with a HR, and Floyd pitch well

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
Carolina 3 @ Birmingham 6

Getz 1-4, R, SB

Collaro 3-4, 3B, HR, 3 RBI, R, K (7-17 with 3 XBH on the year so far)

Lucy 1-3, 2B, R

Whisler 5 IP, 3 R (0 ER)

Wing 3 IP, 0 R, 3 K, 0 BB, 0 hits (W)

The game ended up 6-4. Day came on in the ninth to close and ended up loading up the bases on two hits and a walk with no outs. He then walked a run in. Fortunately, the bleeding stopped there and the next three batters went down in order. Scared me for a few minutes there.

The Barons played commanding ball all day long. Collaro seems to really be on fire this year.