Jermaine Dye to wear #42

Steve9347

Thought this was cool...

Apr 8 Chicago White Sox OF Jermaine Dye will wear No. 42, Sunday, April 15, in honor of the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's major league debut, according to Scott Merkin of Chicago.Whitesox.MLB.com.

Good job Jermaine. I think the idea of having a premier African-American player on each team wear #42 on the 15th is fantastic. (I myself got a Dye #23 jersey this year as a ode to the 60th anniversary of Black Americans in the game.) However, I think what the Dodgers are doing by having their whole team wear #42 is too much and having random white and Latino players running around wearing it can trivialize it. Even if the thought is sincere, and I'm sure it is for most guys, it's just a bit much in my opinion.

QUOTE(bardsroom attendant @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
Good job Jermaine. I think the idea of having a premier African-American player on each team wear #42 on the 15th is fantastic. (I myself got a Dye #23 jersey this year as a ode to the 60th anniversary of Black Americans in the game.) However, I think what the Dodgers are doing by having their whole team wear #42 is too much and having random white and Latino players running around wearing it can trivialize it. Even if the thought is sincere, and I'm sure it is for most guys, it's just a bit much in my opinion.

well, they are the dodgers... so if any team was going to do so, it makes sense it'd be them.

hope they put the players names on there though!

Please tell me that Bonds will be wearing 24. Crap, he will be wearing it. I'd rather have any honest player wear the number before him.

The Cubs have 4 players wearing the number. I wonder if Thomas will be wearing it for the Blue Jays.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 07:11 PM)
Please tell me that Bonds will be wearing 24. Crap, he will be wearing it. I'd rather have any honest player wear the number before him.

The Cubs have 4 players wearing the number. I wonder if Thomas will be wearing it for the Blue Jays.

Yeah, Frank is, along w/ Vernon Wells, Royce Clayton, and hitting coach Mickey Brantley

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
Griffey will also be wearing it, along with other players around the league. It was actually Griffey's idea that he pitched to Bud Selig that some players should wear #42.

Doesn't surprise me with such a classy player like Griffey.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)

See this is what I'm talking about. Too many guys running around wearing the number takes away from it. Start with Bonds and go from there and you have a nice gesture gone awry.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)
Most teams have more than one black player.

Kind of odd that we've only got one black player.

Even though he's not a "playing" with us, Harold Baines is also black (if noone knew) and will be wearing # 42 also.

That's actually a rather interesting point. I always figured they had some African descent somewhere, but what do we call a black man? If you saw Contreras walking down the street, you'd probably think he was black or "African American." And it's a question that comes up everywhere. In politics (see: Obama, for instance) and in school (see: kids being picked on for not "Acting black") and all over.

Very interesting idea, but probably not fit for this forum.

SoxAce: Glad Baines is wearing it. I was going to suggest that he and Raines do, too.

Cubans and Dominicans were the result of the Spanish African slave trade in the 15,16,17 and 1800s.

http://www.antislavery.org/breakingthesile...tes_haiti.shtml

Located in the Caribbean, between Cuba, Puerto Rico and Jamaica, this island (originally called Hispaniola or 'little Spain' by the Spanish) is inhabited by two independent nations, the Republic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. The first enslaved Africans were brought to the island in 1502. Mostly they were ladinos (Spaniards of African descent), but by 1520, slaves directly from Africa were used throughout the island.

Havana became the capital of Cuba in 1519, named after a local indigenous chief San Cristóbal de Habana. This city became part of the most important trade route on the island and was the only port entitled to send Cuban goods back to Spain. This meant that there was not much growth in the slave sugar industry in the countryside, and as a result many Africans were forced to work in Havana as domestics or in construction (ships, housing etc). The numbers of slaves alarmed Spanish colonists and in 1538 angry slaves joined forces with French pirates to burn parts of the city to the ground.

If it weren't for Jackie Robinson, hispanics of African ancestry wouldn't be in MLB either.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)
That's actually a rather interesting point. I always figured they had some African descent somewhere, but what do we call a black man? If you saw Contreras walking down the street, you'd probably think he was black or "African American." And it's a question that comes up everywhere. In politics (see: Obama, for instance) and in school (see: kids being picked on for not "Acting black") and all over.

Very interesting idea, but probably not fit for this forum.

SoxAce: Glad Baines is wearing it. I was going to suggest that he and Raines do, too.

Raines isn't here anymore.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
Cubans and Dominicans were the result of the Spanish African slave trade in the 15,16,17 and 1800s.

http://www.antislavery.org/breakingthesile...tes_haiti.shtml

If it weren't for Jackie Robinson, hispanics of African ancestry wouldn't be in MLB either.

My bad, I was kinda just joking.

Interesting read though.