If you were GM of an expansion franchise and could have

caulfield12

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
I want to see one more season from McCann to make sure he doesn't go the Peralta/Angel Berroa route and his career takes a U-Turn.

Please tell me you're not comparing Jhonny Peralta and Brian McCann to Angel Berroa.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
Please tell me you're not comparing Jhonny Peralta and Brian McCann to Angel Berroa.

Just making a point. Berroa, by the way, was Rookie of the Year, and the Royals gave him a guaranteed contract through this season, even though he's parked in AAA right now. And Peralta was very good but not exactly the Rookie of the Year in 2005.

McCann has only had around 650 at-bats. That's essentially one season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Just making a point. Berroa, by the way, was Rookie of the Year, and the Royals gave him a guaranteed through this season, even though he's parked in AAA right now.

McCann has only had around 650 at-bats. That's essentially one season.

It holds more ground than I initially anticipated, but Berroa has never walked in his entire career, he strikes out at a pretty poor rate, and his power is mediocre at best. Peralta's always had atleast decent power, and he had great power in 2004 and 2005. And I just can't question the ability of the Braves to scout talent, because they've always done it and they just really don't produce many busts or flameouts. That's wrong of me, but he's pretty much great.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
It holds more ground than I initially anticipated, but Berroa has never walked in his entire career, he strikes out at a pretty poor rate, and his power is mediocre at best. Peralta's always had atleast decent power, and he had great power in 2004 and 2005. And I just can't question the ability of the Braves to scout talent, because they've always done it and they just really don't produce many busts or flameouts. That's wrong of me, but he's pretty much great.

Berroa came through the A's system, which has been very good at producing players, especially college players. But Tejada and Hernandez (Catcher) come to mind, off the top of my head, in terms of Latin prospects.

The Braves have had their shares of Damon Hollins, George Lombard's, Bruce Chen's, Wade's, Glenn Williams, etc. However, they've produced a lot more All-Star caliber players than the White Sox.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
Berroa came through the A's system, which has been very good at producing players, especially college players. But Tejada and Hernandez (Catcher) come to mind, off the top of my head, in terms of Latin prospects.

The Braves have had their shares of Damon Hollins, George Lombard's, Bruce Chen's, Wade's, Glenn Williams, etc. However, they've produced a lot more All-Star caliber players than the White Sox.

Meh, Berroa will always be mediocre or below average, opposed to Peralta and McCann who've shown the ability to be outstanding players already (though Peralta still has stone hands).

However, the thing about the Braves is that it almost always seems as though they know when to get rid of players. In a case like George Lombard, they got Kris Keller out of him - who threw only 1 IP - but atleast that's something. I'd imagine several organizations would have gotten absolutely nothing for him at all.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
pretty crazy if you think about it, but with the exception of a few guys like Zambrano, Pujols and King Felix, everybody has 1,2 or even all three of their picks from the AL Central.

Actually, mostly from the Twins

That's where we are the most familiar