DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
Then why is this thread full of polls?

I think the polls are interesting. If you look at these pages checking a bunch of recent matchup polls, you will see that Obama and Clinton are almost identical. But, one thing that I think the Dems understand is what voters are actually important. The core Dems will vote their candidate, and so will the core GOP'ers. But I think there are two groups that will make the difference - independents, and the far right Christian Coalition types. The independents heavily favor Obama over Clinton. And I think that Clinton will fire up the righties far more so than Obama will, causing more of them to show up and donate money as well. So ultimately, though the edge is slight, I think Obama is more electable come November. That ultimately is why, I think, these supers keep going over to Obama. As I've said all along, what they really want is a win in November.

Mark Penn, Clinton's campaign strategist, lobbied for Colombian Free trade agreement that Hillary opposes.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1207267695...s_us_whats_news

Mark then "apologizes" for discussing it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/04/m...or_n_95090.html

Hillary had something to say about Obama and Canada about a month ago it went something like this, "Just ask yourself [what you would do] if some of my advisers had been having private meetings with foreign governments," she said. "

QUOTE(koch44 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/04/m...or_n_95090.html

Hillary had something to say about Obama and Canada about a month ago it went something like this, "Just ask yourself [what you would do] if some of my advisers had been having private meetings with foreign governments," she said. "

Oh i forgot about that!

Exact quote:

"I would ask you to look at this story and substitute my name for Sen. Obama’s name and see what you would do with this story… Just ask yourself [what you would do] if some of my advisers had been having private meetings with foreign governments."

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
Oh i forgot about that!

Exact quote:

"I would ask you to look at this story and substitute my name for Sen. Obama’s name and see what you would do with this story… Just ask yourself [what you would do] if some of my advisers had been having private meetings with foreign governments."

That's golden. I hope the MSM keeps replaying that quote over the next few days.

So, far from the two years i have looked at (2000 and 2001) they are VERY sparse on details. Income for Bill is labeled as "speeches and Writing". no detailed breakdown. Also, the PDF pages are hand numbered... showing they actually left out pages but renumbered them for the PDF file.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Huh?

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120...4021905843.html

Former President Clinton stands to reap around $20 million -- and will sever a politically sensitive partnership tie to Dubai -- by ending his high-profile business relationship with the investment firm of billionaire friend Ron Burkle.

Mr. Clinton is negotiating to end his relationship with Mr. Burkle's Yucaipa Cos. as part of a broader effort to protect the presidential campaign of his wife, Sen. Hillary Clinton, from potential conflicts of interest. Details of Mr. Clinton's involvement in Yucaipa and his efforts to unwind it come from documents and interviews with people familiar with the matter.

The former president has had links to Yucaipa since early 2002, when Mr. Burkle -- a longtime friend and political contributor -- offered him a role there. Mr. Clinton's association with the firm began at a time when he was looking to earn large amounts of money, partly to pay heavy legal bills accumulated to defend himself and Mrs. Clinton from several investigations during his presidency.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/23/nyregion...artner=homepage

After leaving the White House in 2001, former President Bill Clinton was inundated with business and job offers, from investment-bank partnerships to seats on corporate boards. He turned them all down, with one exception: He agreed to be an adviser to a family of funds run by the Yucaipa Companies, a California private equity firm controlled by one of his best friends, the billionaire Ronald W. Burkle.

Mr. Clinton's arrangement with Mr. Burkle is an unusual one for a former president, giving him the potential to make tens of millions of dollars without great effort and at virtually no risk, according to Mr. Burkle and advisers to Mr. Clinton.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Former President Bill Clinton's decision to reconsider a business relationship with California billionaire Ron Burkle reflects concern those financial dealings may embarrass his wife's presidential candidacy.

Securities and Exchange Commission documents and financial- disclosure forms filed by Hillary Clinton show that Bill Clinton, 61, has a financial stake in three investment entities registered in the Cayman Islands by Burkle's Yucaipa Cos. LLC...

Bloomberg's questions to the campaign involved the nature and amounts of his compensation from Yucaipa, why the holdings were listed as Los Angeles-based rather than Cayman Islands entities, and when Hillary Clinton became aware that the funds were offshore. Carson didn't address those questions. Yucaipa spokesman Frank Quintero referred all questions about the former president's role to the Clintons' spokespeople.

It's not good make $109 million dollars over 7 years and have ties to an offshore tax shelter when you are campaigning for the "middle and lower class worker"

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120...4021905843.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/23/nyregion...artner=homepage

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

It's not good make $109 million dollars over 7 years and have ties to an offshore tax shelter when you are campaigning for the "middle and lower class worker"

Nowadays, a large number of specialized funds like this one are registered in Cayman or otherwise overseas. While I agree it would have been cleaner for them to avoid that sort of fund, I really don't think this is a huge deal. I'd bet that most of the candidates (the ones with serious money to invest) probably have these kind of connections.

By the way, I'd like to note for the record, such as it is, that the Clinton campaign did the classic Friday Afternoon bad news document dump that we've seen so often from the current administration with its tax returns. Because fewer people watch the evening news on Friday or pay attention on Friday and Saturday to the news shows than they do early in the week.

I don't really care that the Clintons are filthy rich and pandering to the middle and lower class, that's not what bothers me about Hillary. I mean, Edwards is pretty damn far from being broke, and Obama isn't hurting these days either. I'd imagine Ron Paul and John McCain are pretty comfortable.

Here's an interesting one. Might be just a mistake by a sloppy, not ready to take a phone call at 3 a.m. staff, but there's about $18 million in income in those returns that is unaccounted for in their summary, according to the Politico (Just go to Drudge and do the math at the top of his page, add in the book deals, salaries, and speaking engagements, and you come up short by about that much)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
Here's an interesting one. Might be just a mistake by a sloppy, not ready to take a phone call at 3 a.m. staff, but there's about $18 million in income in those returns that is unaccounted for in their summary, according to the Politico (Just go to Drudge and do the math at the top of his page, add in the book deals, salaries, and speaking engagements, and you come up short by about that much)

I'll need more detail. Could the $18 million not accounted for be from their yet to be released 2007 returns? Or, are they saying that when you look at the numbers (including projected 2007) and subtract the actual numbers from 109 you come up 18 short?

I just want them to clarify before I make a judgement to be fair.

SEC Opens Investigation of Company Headed by Key Supporter of Clintons

The article is from 2007, but the summery (taken from a Digg article) is in relation to their released tax returns.

Clinton Tax Returns - "Advisor income from InfoUSA $400,000". SEC Opens Investigation of Company Headed by Key Supporter of Clintons. The Securities and Exchange Commission has launched an investigation into InfoUSA, a Nebraska company that used corporate funds to fly Hillary Rodham Clinton around the country, and one of only two companies to put Bill Clinton on its payroll after he left the White House.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
I'd bet that most of the candidates (the ones with serious money to invest) probably have these kind of connections.

I completely agree. Not something I would do, but yes, a lot probably do. This is not some isolated incident.