DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:17 AM)
Oh, so we just control people's minds, the advertisors, and the radio. Yeah, brainwashed.

Maybe not brainwashed, but come on, how often do we hear "media bias" when a story is unflattering to the GOP?

Are you saying there are an equal number of liberal talk shows? Are you saying that these shows aren't advertiser driven?

Be proud! The RNC is so much better at this than the DNC it makes the Dems look like amateur hour at the local comedy club.

Name anyone on the planet that has been better at this over the past decade then Karl Rove? It's finally catching up to him, but the man is brilliant.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
Maybe not brainwashed, but come on, how often do we hear "media bias" when a story is unflattering to the GOP?

Are you saying there are an equal number of liberal talk shows? Are you saying that these shows aren't advertiser driven?

Be proud! The RNC is so much better at this than the DNC it makes the Dems look like amateur hour at the local comedy club.

Name anyone on the planet that has been better at this over the past decade then Karl Rove? It's finally catching up to him, but the man is brilliant.

See that's where you and I are different. You see that, and assume that means that the GOP is the ultimate evil media machine. I hear that and say what is the other side of the story. I find it interesting that somehow the democrats are this bunch of inept bumbling fools, who have this horrible disadvantage, because they never thought to be mean to anyone else in their whole lives. The poor guys can't even get their message out. Awww, poor democrats. I am sure that there is no chance that there isn't an equally effective movement that decries everything that Republicians say as either the rantings of religious wackos, or a neo-con conspiracy to try to take over the world, or control the worlds oil markets, or take down everyone who disagees with them, or completely disregard the law (because no other public officials have ever done that), who hate everyone who isn't a white christian male, who only care about the rich, and supply every man-woman-child in the country with a machine gun so that they can kill freely anyone who looks at them funny. Nope, it is just the evil Republicians.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
See that's where you and I are different. You see that, and assume that means that the GOP is the ultimate evil media machine. I hear that and say what is the other side of the story. I find it interesting that somehow the democrats are this bunch of inept bumbling fools, who have this horrible disadvantage, because they never thought to be mean to anyone else in their whole lives. The poor guys can't even get their message out. Awww, poor democrats. I am sure that there is no chance that there isn't an equally effective movement that decries everything that Republicians say as either the rantings of religious wackos, or a neo-con conspiracy to try to take over the world, or control the worlds oil markets, or take down everyone who disagees with them, or completely disregard the law (because no other public officials have ever done that), who hate everyone who isn't a white christian male, who only care about the rich, and supply every man-woman-child in the country with a machine gun so that they can kill freely anyone who looks at them funny. Nope, it is just the evil Republicians.

:lolhitting

Wow.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)

I don't think they are an evil media machine. I think the GOP has an advantage with the media. Their followers will dismiss unfavorable stories. If I was a political strategist, I'd want that for my candidate. Why try to manipulate the media, and both sides would dearly like to do that, when you can just let them print anything and have it not matter? They cloned Reagan in that regard. That's American style politics and I applaud them. I don't think that alters their message or makes it better or worse. You think the DEMs have an advantage in the media, so be it. I can't see how anyone could disagree that the GOP has an absolute lock on talk radio 24/7.

I don't think Republicans want to hurt America, they love American as much as any liberal. It's the vision for America that differs. I also think if you look at this ideological tug of war, it doesn't move us too far from center, no matter how hard either side is allowed to pull.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
Michael Hirsh's (Newsweek) commentary on Biden's plan on Iraq: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18339254/site/newsweek/

Worth a read.

Biden is the only one in either party to have any sort of plan at all, really. Glad to see that Richardson aligned himself with it as well.

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
The RNC must know the only way they can win this is to get our vain, dumb-as-f*** media stars to focus on the trivial. This is the entirety of the press release sent out about the debate tonight.

Stuff like this?

DNC Dean Says Giuliani's 'Personal Life Is A Serious Problem'

Democratic party chairman Howard Dean said on Thursday that Rudy Giuliani "personal life is a serious problem."

Dean sent the warning on CNN's SITUATION ROOM with host Wolf Blitzer.

Chariman Dean said the former New York City Mayor "has a lot of character issues that he has to answer for. And overwhelmingly, Americans are going to vote on honesty and integrity.... We've begun to reach out to evangelical Christians, and that's a real problem for him. His personal life is a serious problem for him."

BLITZER: Well, describe those character issues...

DEAN: No, I'm not going to get into that stuff. I don't like attacking people on their personal lives, but I can assure you that in the Republican primary, given what went on in the 2000 Republican primary in South Carolina between George Bush and John McCain, those attacks will be made in the Republican Party.

Developing...

Rudy too arrogant for America

Gaffe-Prone Romney to Headline GOP Fundraiser

Damn, I am glad the DNC is above focusing on trivial stuff.

Just watched the debate videos. Quick impressions of each candidate, in order of current standing...

Clinton: She comes off like a robot to me. Mechanical, political and polished. She seems to be trying hard to be cold and tough. Not sure how that will go over, we'll see I guess. On the issues, she seems pretty focused and determined on health care, which is good. She had solid answers to some other things too. Her Iraq stance continues to be wishy-washy, though. I think she fell a bit short.

Obama: Didn't come off with the same sort of charisma I've seen from him before, at least in part because of the format (too many candidates, not enough time). He was direct on some issues, vague on others. But I think he really did well when he got into it with Kucinich over Iran. I think right there, we saw a glimpse of Obama's gift - open forum discussion. I think that in a town hall type atmosphere or something similar, he'll make every other candidate look silly. Overall, for his first big debate on TV, he did OK.

Edwards: Like Obama, he needs more breathing room to be at his best. He has some specific plans, but his speeches still seem far to campy and preachy to me. He comes off as very paternal. I think that will work well some people, but it reveals to me a lack of real fortitude. Overall, I think he did OK as well.

Richardson: pretty much like I had said to Sqwert beforehand. On the issues, I think he is very solid, has some good ideas and some unique ones too, and has a good executive quality. But, he doesn't look so good. He looked as if he was struggling to hear the questions a bit, and was a little mechanical in his delivery. Overall, I think he probably helped himself a little by putting himself out there with his stances, but his delivery was lacking.

Biden: Biden comes off pretty well, albeit a bit dry. His Iraq plan is solid, and he tried hard to emphasize that. But he, like Dodd, has Senator written all over him. That means he didn't slip up badly or anything (this time), but, he didn't do anything to make him vote-worthy either.

Dodd: Like Biden, didn't do anything bad, but also didn't make much effect. He's just sort of there.

Kucinich: I've gotta say, I have a lot of personal respect for the guy. He doesn't play games, he doesn't pander. He has actual moral courage. I was surprised to see he even said he's had a gun in his house. But, sadly, his issue stances are pretty far left, and he's not seen as viable. But overall, I think he may have helped himself a bit, even though its likely a lost cause.

Gravel: Wow. That is one fiery dude. He really tried to stick it to some people, and he made no apoligies for his stances. Like Kucinich, he isn't electable. And he's a little nuts. But he did add some spice to the debate.

OVERALL: Too many candidates, not enough time, and still very early. I didn't see anyone make any big leaps forward or backward either.

I guess none of the candidates felt like 'going green' to or from the debate.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268942,00.html

2008 Candidates Rely on Private Jets to Get Around

Friday, April 27, 2007

AP

WASHINGTON — A flock of small jets took flight from Washington Thursday, each carrying a Democratic presidential candidate to South Carolina for the first debate of the political season.

For Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Obama, Chris Dodd and Joe Biden, it was wheels up shortly after they voted in favor of legislation requiring that U.S. troops begin returning home from Iraq in the fall.

No one jet pooled, no one took commercial flights to save money, fuel or emissions.

All but Biden, who flew on a private jet, chartered their flights — a campaign expense of between $7,500 and $9,000.

Federal Election Commission rules allow candidates to pay only the equivalent of first-class fare to fly on private jets owned by corporations or other special interests. But a Senate ethics bill approved earlier this year would require senators flying on corporate jets to pay full charter rates. The legislation must still be reconciled with a House bill and has yet to become law.

Several senators running for president are abiding by it anyway, either paying charter cost or avoiding corporate jets altogether, as Obama and Republican Sen. John McCain have done. Dodd pays full charter rates when he flies on private planes. The Clinton and Biden campaigns did not immediately explain their policies.

Candidates who follow the more lenient FEC rules have a financial advantage.

Democrat John Edwards, for example, regularly uses a jet owned by Dallas trial lawyer Fred Baron, who is also the finance chairman of his presidential campaign. His campaign pays first-class rate for those flights. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney also flies on corporate jets and pays first-class rates.

Under FEC reimbursement regulations, a candidate flying in a corporate or union jet must pay the first-class rate unless the flight's destination does not have scheduled commercial service. In that case, the candidate must pay the cost of chartering the plane.

For candidates who are now eschewing corporate jets, the cost difference can be significant.

For example, a one-way first class ticket on United Airlines with four days advance notice is $694 per person. A typical one-way charter flight on a small Lear jet seating six people would cost about $9,000.

Critics of corporate jet flights for politicians say the difference in cost makes a private jet an extraordinary special benefit and can give corporate executives or union leaders unusual access to a candidate.

Thursday's debate, set on the campus of South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, S.C., made for some whirlwind scheduling. Clinton, for instance, was scheduled to return to Washington Friday morning for an 8 a.m. address to the New York State United Teachers 35th Annual Representative Assembly, then fly back to South Carolina for an 11 a.m. event in Greenville

2008 Candidates Rely on Private Jets to Get Around

Friday, April 27, 2007

AP

WASHINGTON — A flock of small jets took flight from Washington Thursday, each carrying a Democratic presidential candidate to South Carolina for the first debate of the political season.

For Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Obama, Chris Dodd and Joe Biden, it was wheels up shortly after they voted in favor of legislation requiring that U.S. troops begin returning home from Iraq in the fall.

No one jet pooled, no one took commercial flights to save money, fuel or emissions.

All but Biden, who flew on a private jet, chartered their flights — a campaign expense of between $7,500 and $9,000.

Federal Election Commission rules allow candidates to pay only the equivalent of first-class fare to fly on private jets owned by corporations or other special interests. But a Senate ethics bill approved earlier this year would require senators flying on corporate jets to pay full charter rates. The legislation must still be reconciled with a House bill and has yet to become law.

Several senators running for president are abiding by it anyway, either paying charter cost or avoiding corporate jets altogether, as Obama and Republican Sen. John McCain have done. Dodd pays full charter rates when he flies on private planes. The Clinton and Biden campaigns did not immediately explain their policies.

Candidates who follow the more lenient FEC rules have a financial advantage.

Democrat John Edwards, for example, regularly uses a jet owned by Dallas trial lawyer Fred Baron, who is also the finance chairman of his presidential campaign. His campaign pays first-class rate for those flights. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney also flies on corporate jets and pays first-class rates.

Under FEC reimbursement regulations, a candidate flying in a corporate or union jet must pay the first-class rate unless the flight's destination does not have scheduled commercial service. In that case, the candidate must pay the cost of chartering the plane.

For candidates who are now eschewing corporate jets, the cost difference can be significant.

For example, a one-way first class ticket on United Airlines with four days advance notice is $694 per person. A typical one-way charter flight on a small Lear jet seating six people would cost about $9,000.

Critics of corporate jet flights for politicians say the difference in cost makes a private jet an extraordinary special benefit and can give corporate executives or union leaders unusual access to a candidate.

Thursday's debate, set on the campus of South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, S.C., made for some whirlwind scheduling. Clinton, for instance, was scheduled to return to Washington Friday morning for an 8 a.m. address to the New York State United Teachers 35th Annual Representative Assembly, then fly back to South Carolina for an 11 a.m. event in Greenville

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)

I'll be more satisfied if whoever gets elected, Pub or Dem, can set higher fuel economy standards and help subsidize more green technologies. The method of transportation to one debate isn't as big of a concern to me unless they all decided to separately take coal powered locomotives. And of course this wouldn't be a Sqwert post unless I replied with something snarky to you so lets see....

I'm sure the GOP hopefuls won't all be skateboarding to their debate next week or whenever it is.

:D

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
I'll be more satisfied if whoever gets elected, Pub or Dem, can set higher fuel economy standards and help subsidize more green technologies. The method of transportation to one debate isn't as big of a concern to me unless they all decided to separately take coal powered locomotives. And of course this wouldn't be a Sqwert post unless I replied with something snarky to you so lets see....

I'm sure the GOP hopefuls won't all be skateboarding to their debate next week or whenever it is.

:D

Don't quit your day job.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)

It seems like there are conservatives on the TV and radio 24 hours a day b****ing and moaning about how conservatives never get a voice in the media. And people still buy it.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
It seems like there are conservatives on the TV and radio 24 hours a day b****ing and moaning about how conservatives never get a voice in the media. And people still buy it.

On what TV channel, other than Fox, and maybe one show on CNN?

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
On what TV channel, other than Fox, and maybe one show on CNN?

Why discount Fox? They're one of the "Big 3" in cable news and are about 95% conservative/ Republican? There's several shows on MSNBC and CNN that have conservatives, also.

And I did say "TV and radio." Talk radio is absolutely dominated by conservatives/ Republicans.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
Why discount Fox? They're one of the "Big 3" in cable news and are about 95% conservative/ Republican? There's several shows on MSNBC and CNN that have conservatives, also.

And I did say "TV and radio." Talk radio is absolutely dominated by conservatives/ Republicans.

I agree that talk radio is conservative-dominated. It was a medium written off by most people as useless until conservative shows took over. Sports talk also helped revive am and talk radio shows in general. But for network tv, conservative shows are extremely hard to find. And size-wise, Fox doesn't match the big 3. For 'cable news', yeah they are a big player. But does Joe Sixpack watch The Factor, or Nightline? And newspapers, how many conservative leaning papers are there, because there surely are some that lean so far the left you would think they would fall over.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
I agree that talk radio is conservative-dominated. It was a medium written off by most people as useless until conservative shows took over. Sports talk also helped revive am and talk radio shows in general. But for network tv, conservative shows are extremely hard to find. And size-wise, Fox doesn't match the big 3. For 'cable news', yeah they are a big player. But does Joe Sixpack watch The Factor, or Nightline? And newspapers, how many conservative leaning papers are there, because there surely are some that lean so far the left you would think they would fall over.

Does Joe Sixpack watch the news at all? Just a general question: but does anyone know what percentage of people watch the news daily?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:25 AM)
Does Joe Sixpack watch the news at all? Just a general question: but does anyone know what percentage of people watch the news daily?

Related... how many people READ the news daily? And I don't mean People magazine, I mean a reputable newspaper or a similar online version? Because that to me is a lot more informative than TV news.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:34 AM)
Related... how many people READ the news daily? And I don't mean People magazine, I mean a reputable newspaper or a similar online version? Because that to me is a lot more informative than TV news.

That is why i also mentione d the newspapers. i don't watch the news very often, but tend to either read the paper, or catch some stuff online. i would guess that online comprises a large chunck of people's news sources.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
That is why i also mentione d the newspapers. i don't watch the news very often, but tend to either read the paper, or catch some stuff online. i would guess that online comprises a large chunck of people's news sources.

And how huge of a media empire does conservative Rupert Murdoch own?

I watched MSNBC the day of the debates and they had co-hosts Tucker Carlson & Joe Scarborough. They went to Pat Buchanan as a monitor guest. Those three are very liberal in their views, and I could see them all jumping in the Dem. primary. I also hate the liberal media like those three.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
I watched MSNBC the day of the debates and they had co-hosts Tucker Carlson & Joe Scarborough. They went to Pat Buchanan as a monitor guest. Those three are very liberal in their views, and I could see them all jumping in the Dem. primary. I also hate the liberal media like those three.

What are you smoking? Carlson, Scarborough and Buchanan are not liberals. And why would any of them jump into the Dem primary?

Edited by BigSqwert