Anybody worried about our lefty relievers?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

I mentioned in a thread the other day that both sisco and thornton scare me a whole lot and logan well hes boone logan not much more you can say. I really think that sisco and thornton are near spitting images of one another. Both have control problems and both only have one quality pitch, a fastball. I know thornton had a nice year last year but I've said from the start of this year that if he turns into a neal cotts-suck fest this year then it really doesnt matter how good he was last year, we need a shutdown guy from the left side in that bullpen otherwise mac-daddy is going to get really overworked. anybody else concerned about these guys or is it just me?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 06:54 AM)
*raises hand*

Not only that, but Thornton's fastball is down 2-3 MPH as well...there's a difference between 94 and 96-97, we're seeing it with some of our other relievers as well. When you don't have much movement and you drop down in velocity like that, you risk becoming another Alan Embree.

On the plus side, Logan manned up and got out of that inning instead of totally imploding, as many might have expected.

Sisco's overall stats "appear" good on paper, but he's been shaky recently.

I never really expected much from Sisco, there is some potential but he cant throw strikes, period. Point being this team, a very veteran team, poised to make a run at it this year has no place for "need to figure it out" guys on its roster. You dont really see guys on contending teams like the Yanks, BoSox, Angels, etc who struggle to throw strikes. You see those guys, liek Sisco, on teams trying to see what they got, like the Royals, DRays, Pirates, etc. In reality we need another PROVEN left handed pitcher. I don't care if he throws 95 or not, we need a guy who when he comes in you wonder if he can throw strikes. There is absolutely no place for a guy like that on this team at this time. We can not have guys on our team who come out the pen and immediatly fall behind and then give up walks. And if thats what Sisco is he shouldn't be here, period. Go learn how to get outs and pitch in the majors in AAA or on another team.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
I never really expected much from Sisco, there is some potential but he cant throw strikes, period. Point being this team, a very veteran team, poised to make a run at it this year has no place for "need to figure it out" guys on its roster. You dont really see guys on contending teams like the Yanks, BoSox, Angels, etc who struggle to throw strikes. You see those guys, liek Sisco, on teams trying to see what they got, like the Royals, DRays, Pirates, etc. In reality we need another PROVEN left handed pitcher. I don't care if he throws 95 or not, we need a guy who when he comes in you wonder if he can throw strikes. There is absolutely no place for a guy like that on this team at this time. We can not have guys on our team who come out the pen and immediatly fall behind and then give up walks. And if thats what Sisco is he shouldn't be here, period. Go learn how to get outs and pitch in the majors in AAA or on another team.

Luis Vizcaino - 10 BB, 5 K, 12 IP

Scott Proctor - 7 BB, 6 K, 11 IP

Kyle Farnsworth - 5 BB, 5 K, 8.3 IP

Nick Masset - 7 BB, 8 K, 13.3 IP

Andrew Sisco - 4 BB, 6 K, 7.3 IP

Matt Thornton - 2 BB, 2 K, 5.3 IP

The Yankees have one of the absolute worst bullpens in baseball.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
You dont really see guys on contending teams like the Yanks, BoSox, Angels, etc who struggle to throw strikes.

Walks per innings pitched out of the bullpens thus far in 2007.

Boston .365

LAA .489

CHW .457

NYY .553

Player and walks/innings pitched this season:

Darren Oliver 1.125000007

Boone Logan 1

Andy Pettitte 1

Colter Bean 1

Luis Vizcaino 0.833333333

Mike MacDougal 0.666666667

Greg Jones 0.666666667

Scott Proctor 0.636363636

Kyle Farnsworth 0.600000024

Andrew Sisco 0.563380282

Jonathan Papelbon 0.54545457

Nick Masset 0.525000013

Chris Britton 0.5

Mike Myers 0.5

Scot Shields 0.483870968

Chris Bootcheck 0.480000019

Joel Pineiro 0.461538461

Brian Bruney 0.454545455

Justin Speier 0.416666667

Matt Thornton 0.392156863

Hector Carrasco 0.387096787

Mike Timlin 0.352941176

Hideki Okajima 0.346153846

Javier Lopez 0.333333333

Francisco Rodriguez 0.333333333

J.C. Romero 0.31578949

Mariano Rivera 0.31578949

David Aardsma 0.315789465

Dustin Moseley 0.3000003

Bobby Jenks 0.257142856

Sean Henn 0.243243244

Brendan Donnelly 0.230769233

Kyle Snyder 0.187500001

The fact that the Sox don't have a single proven lefty in the pen is a bit unnerving but with all the money being spent this offseason on upgrading the lineup and starting staff I understand why the bullpen wasn't made a larger priority.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
The fact that the Sox don't have a single proven lefty in the pen is a bit unnerving but with all the money being spent this offseason on upgrading the lineup and starting staff I understand why the bullpen wasn't made a larger priority.

There are very few "proven lefty's" you can get for the bullpen, and those that are available require you to vastly overpay. Look at the Cubs with Howry and Eyre so far this year. Despite the bullpen troubles the last few games, I have no problems whatsoever with how Kenny chose to address the bullpen this offseason. BP arms are so fickle, the best you can hope for is to get some live arms with stuff and hope it works out.

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
There are very few "proven lefty's" you can get for the bullpen, and those that are available require you to vastly overpay. Look at the Cubs with Howry and Eyre so far this year. Despite the bullpen troubles the last few games, I have no problems whatsoever with how Kenny chose to address the bullpen this offseason. BP arms are so fickle, the best you can hope for is to get some live arms with stuff and hope it works out.

I understand the bullpen situation and I don't have a big problem with it, that was more of a shot at KW not upgrading an offense that really needed one.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
I understand the bullpen situation and I don't have a big problem with it, that was more of a shot at KW not upgrading an offense that really needed one.

Gotcha. I'm with you 100% on that. The fact that we made no worthwhile changes to left and center was no doubt his biggest failure this offseason.

Here we go with "proven lefties" again. Hows that proven lefty stud reliever doing on the northside?

Our pen has some of the best stuff in the league, thats enough to make them 10 times better than last year. Unless someone wants Jeff Nelson back.