Federer, Nadal do 'Battle of Surfaces'

This is pretty cool.

claygrass.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/tenn...l.ap/index.html

Federer, Nadal do 'Battle of Surfaces'

PALMA DE MALLORCA, Balearic Islands (AP) -- One is the king of grass, the other the king of clay. On Wednesday, Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal will be king of both.

Four-time Wimbledon champion Federer plays two-time French Open winner Nadal in an exhibition on a customized half-clay, half-grass court on this Spanish island.

"It'll be fun to find out what it's like to play on a court with mixed surfaces," Federer said Tuesday. "And it ought to be interesting to see who chooses the better tactic."

Organizers needed 19 days and $1.63 million to create the court, which divides the surfaces by halves for a unique match in which a player can receive on clay and hit a winner on grass -- or vice versa.

"The result is not the most important thing. It's about having fun out there," the top-ranked Federer said. "It's going to be exciting and a good atmosphere. It doesn't always need to be crazy serious out on the match courts."

A sellout crowd of nearly 7,000 is expected at the Palma Arena for the match, which is backed by the Balearic Islands tourism bureau.

Nadal comes from Mallorca and has the homecourt advantage.

"I like the fact that the stadium is located in Mallorca, Rafa's home," Federer said. "He has been to Basel (Switzerland) after all, and now I've got the opportunity to play at his place for once."

Federer hasn't lost on grass in four years, a 48-match run that includes four straight titles at Wimbledon.

The second-ranked Nadal has won a record 72 straight clay-court matches, including two consecutive titles at Roland Garros in Paris.

Nadal holds a 7-3 career edge against Federer. He beat the Swiss star 6-4, 6-4 in the Monte Carlo final on April 22 to extend his clay court record against Federer to 4-0.

On grass, Federer leads 1-0, having beaten Nadal in four sets in the Wimbledon final last year.

Federer has 10 Grand Slam titles, but still needs to win the French Open to complete a career Grand Slam of all four championships.

50% clay, 50% grass, 100% stupid.

I want to see a tennis court that's 25% nails sticking up from wooden planks, 25% quicksand, 25% shark-infested water and 25% Jell-O.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME TENNISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Edited by The Critic

It's really not moronic. It sounds very cool. The only thing is whoever is on the clay side SHOULD have a huge advantage because the balls they hit will be coming at their opponent faster while the shots they will be receiving will be coming at them slower.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 2, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
It's really not moronic. It sounds very cool. The only thing is whoever is on the clay side SHOULD have a huge advantage because the balls they hit will be coming at their opponent faster while the shots they will be receiving will be coming at them slower.

Presumably, they'd alternate sides throughout the match, at least if I was designing the game they would

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
Presumably, they'd alternate sides throughout the match, at least if I was designing the game they would

Yeah I know, my statement didn't imply that but it was a general statement. Whoever is on the clay side should have a huge advantage and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Is it even going to be on tv?

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 2, 2007 -> 02:21 PM)
Yeah I know, my statement didn't imply that but it was a general statement. Whoever is on the clay side should have a huge advantage and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Is it even going to be on tv?

I'd tune in. If they don't televise this they greatly missed the boat and undervalued the interest/market this would have.

I think its a great idea. Theyve been talking how these guys are the best on different surfaes for a while and this is the only way to figure out who is overall better IMO. Which actually, I dont know was the result. I think Federer is better than Nadal but Nadal won.

ESPN.com/Tennis

ten_a_nadalfederer_195.jpg

Nadal beats Federer in third-set tiebreak

Associated Press

PALMA DE MALLORCA, Balearic Islands -- The King of Clay ruled in this oddest of matches between the two best players in tennis.

Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (10) in an exhibition Wednesday on a half-grass, half-clay court when the top-ranked Swiss failed to reach a forehand that took a funny bounce across the green side.

"We're used to playing long, hard games with a lot of tension involved," Federer said. "So it's fun to play on this half-grass, half-clay surface."

Nadal came into the match with a record 72 straight wins on clay. Federer hasn't lost on grass in four years -- a 48-match run that includes four straight Wimbledon titles.

"It was a long match, with many changes of pace and with little time to adapt," Nadal said. "My feet are suffering as a price of having to adapt to the grass."

Federer was leading 4-1 in the tiebreaker before Nadal rallied. After the Spaniard double-faulted while ahead 6-5, the players traded match points. Nadal then hit three of the final four winners from the clay side before a sellout crowd of about 7,000.

The grass caused some tricky bounces, especially as the match progressed. But both players showed little difficulty in switching surfaces, as they changed shoes at changeovers.

The grounds crew on Wednesday morning had to rip up and relay the grass court, which cost $1.63 million and had taken 19 days to prepare.

After the players split the first two sets, the jokes dissipated and both players went for the win. Nadal displayed his trademark fist-pump for the first time after Federer's forehand landed long on the clay for a 4-3 lead. Both players held serve to force the tiebreaker, with Nadal dominating the baseline and Federer the net.

Nadal, who has won three straight titles at Monte Carlo and Barcelona, held a 5-0 lead over Federer on clay. Federer is 1-0 against the Spaniard on grass. Nadal leads the series with Federer 7-3.

Nadal, serving from clay to start, won the first point of the match after a rally of groundstrokes ended with Federer hitting his forehand into the net. Another Federer shot into the net, a backhand, gave the Spaniard the first game.

Nadal broke first in the fourth game on grass then watched Federer net a forehand as the Spaniard held from the clay for a 4-1 lead. Federer rallied to 4-4 after a break of his own before Nadal lashed a crosscourt forehand winner for a 5-4 advantage before breaking Federer again in the 12th game for the set.

Federer bounced back in the second, breaking Nadal on his second try from the green side. Federer's one break while returning on grass was enough for the 10-time Grand Slam champion to prevail in the second.

Both players were eager to do this again next year.

"It was a fun way to pass 2½ hours," Nadal said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 3, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
Both players want to do it again next year, should be a fun thing they could do annually between the 2 best players in tennis.

Or maybe the best clay courter and best grass courter (which would have to be the Wimbledon champ).