Obama Under Secret Service Protection

Texsox

-- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has been placed under the protection of the U.S. Secret Service, reportedly because of a threat against him, the Secret Service said Thursday.

Watch the latest video now on CNN.com. Access at http://CNN.com. CNN - The most trusted name in news

The ugly side of America comes out. Anyone not expect this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll ask you heavier political folllowers around here, how unusual is this? I haven't heard of something like this for a guy that's never even ran for President before. Seems like it would have to be a very real threat and not just some nutjob sending a letter to take this step.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 3, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
Aren't all Pres. candidates afforded Secret Service protection?

I thought they didn't unless they won their party's nomination.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 3, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)

There is a SS committee that rules when a candidate is high profile enough and needs the protection.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 3, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
I thought they didn't unless they won their party's nomination.

From Feb. 04, when it looked like Mr. Kerry had a strong advantage in the nomination (well before Edwards was nominated as VP):

Underscoring the tighter Democratic race for the White House, the Secret Service began providing protection Friday to presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry, and Sen. John Edwards also has applied for the protection, a spokesman for the Secret Service said.

An Edwards aide said the protection has been authorized and that the Secret Service was in discussions with the campaign about when it would start.

Presumably, there must be a very specific reason for the Service to get involved this early in the campaign season, even though this campaign has become much longer in duration.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 3, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
I would imagine that Obama requested it.

A couple articles made it seem as if the Secret Service decided it would be a good idea

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 3, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
A couple articles made it seem as if the Secret Service decided it would be a good idea

I imagine that someone would've had to contact them from the campaign to say, "This is what's going on." I imagine Obama to be receiving many messages of "I'll kill you n*****!" and "White pride!" and otherwise absurd messages but still, someone has to inform the service of these threats and, I presume, then tell them that they'd feel more comfortable if the Senator were protected.

I do think it's possible that the service decides that unilaterally but I doubt it came without prodding.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 3, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)

never this early in the process. in the articles i read, it sounds like some white power people have been threatening him and the secret service picked up on it. better safe than sorry.

interesting note that all past first ladies are also afforded secret service, so Hillary's had protection probably since 1991/92.

Can you imagine, 16 years with secret service people around???

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 3, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
I imagine that someone would've had to contact them from the campaign to say, "This is what's going on." I imagine Obama to be receiving many messages of "I'll kill you n*****!" and "White pride!" and otherwise absurd messages but still, someone has to inform the service of these threats and, I presume, then tell them that they'd feel more comfortable if the Senator were protected.

I do think it's possible that the service decides that unilaterally but I doubt it came without prodding.

I'd imagine it's more than just black racial slurs. In fact, although I'm far from the south, it seems there is much more of a bias against Arabian-Americans. It doesn't matter that he is African-American, when his name is Barack Hussein Obama, you'll get whack jobs that think he's Arabian and thus a terrorist.

Apparently Dick Durbin requested the protection for him. I guess some people saying there was a credible threat, and some are denying it. The other reason sited is that they are worried about controling the size of the crowds he is attracting.

I imagine once you start with Secret Service protection you just handed your life over to them. They should be allowed to dictate when and where some activities take place. Win or lose, I wish this election would show America at its' absolute best at respecting people of all heritages, but sadly, it probably will just highlight how far we have to go.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2007 -> 07:36 AM)
Oh I have no doubt that it is needed, I am just not quite sure the nature of the timing.

I would have about ten seconds after he announced, I'm surprised it took this long. But I'm conservative in these things. It doesn't take Carnak the Magnificent to see this was coming.

I heard a news blurb this morning that said something to the effect that Obama's campaign has told the secret service that they have to drive in hybrid cars. Can any of you tell me if this is true or not? If it is, I would think it a stupid request.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ May 7, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
I heard a news blurb this morning that said something to the effect that Obama's campaign has told the secret service that they have to drive in hybrid cars. Can any of you tell me if this is true or not? If it is, I would think it a stupid request.

I just came accross this... Not only does he want the secret service to use them, he does not own one himself. I guess its cool to be green as long as someone else is paying for it.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sweet/374028,...tside07.article

QUESTION: ... Illinois we have an E-85 highway (OFF-MIKE). So I'm just asking, do any of you have in your personal vehicles...

OBAMA: As I indicated...

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE)

OBAMA: Well, no, it's more in my campaign. It's the car that I drive around with for the most -- I only have one personal car. That's Michelle's car. And the car that we drive most of the time that I'm in is a flexible fuel vehicle.

QUESTION: OK, Michelle's car is not?

OBAMA: It's an old one.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)
I just came accross this... Not only does he want the secret service to use them, he does not own one himself. I guess its cool to be green as long as someone else is paying for it.

OBAMA: It's an old one.

should i go upgrade my 1980 Triumph TR7?? :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)

I read that article, and I like what I see. Why the crucifiction? He asks for them to use flex fuel, his campaign car uses flex fuel too.

It just amazes me how fear-driven and petty this anti-environmental wave among the GOP is. Gore, Obama, anyone else... if they aren't 100% perfect in their own "green" behavior, then how dare they actually try to make the world better.

It would sure be nice if people were willing to deal with the issue, instead of picking on petty little crap in order to destroy firgureheads. John McCain has been a supporter of the current Iraq War policies (for the most part), but, he also pushed for an anti-torture bill. So is his anti-torture effort trash because he endorses Bush's policy that results in torture itself? No. Similarly, when Obama says he'd like the USSS to use slightly greener vehicles, do we throw away that effort by pointing out that his old, personal car (which he probably rarely drives) isn't environmentally ideal?

Its all driven by fear. Democrats fear supporting McCain's effort against torture because god forbid they align with someone who supports the war. Republicans fear supporting him because god forbid that makes them seem weak (nevermind that torture is itself an act of cowardice). Here, Republicans fear embracing any efforts at environmental improvements lest they look like they may have been wrong before, or that they look bad for supporting a typically Democratic ideal.

Amazing. People posted after the Dem debate that none of the candidates flew green. Now, a candidate tries to go a little more green, and he is evil. Clearly, for some people, individuals in the "other" party (whichever one that might be) can't win no matter what they do.