Educate me

jheath160

Following a long, hard local mayoral campaign, I was disappointed that my candidate did not win, and am now starting to rethink my party affiliation. So, educate me...why should I stay a Dem, rather than move over to the Republican side?

Whether or not your candidate won probably should have nothing to do with whether or not you stay with a certain party.

Also, if you were working for a candidate, maybe you need to ask yourself two other questions...

1. If you are looking into politics as a career, is it perhaps best to not align with a party at all? Be a tradesman in the field?

2. If your ideological and political views are present on both sides of the spectrum, should you perhaps seek out candidates who are more moderate? And not necessarily in the center of their party?

QUOTE(Soxy @ May 10, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
This is not a question people on a message board can answer. Which party do you agree with more ideologically?

At this point, I'm really not sure anymore. I'll most likely stay a dem...but on a very local level, the party is rotten.

QUOTE(jheath160 @ May 10, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
At this point, I'm really not sure anymore. I'll most likely stay a dem...but on a very local level, the party is rotten.

I'll pre-empt Kap's response here: They're all rotten and corrupt to the very core.

QUOTE(jheath160 @ May 10, 2007 -> 12:19 PM)

I once had someone tell me that the Democratic party is more corrupt the lower you go, and the Republican party is more corrupt the higher you go. I'm not sure if its true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
I once had someone tell me that the Democratic party is more corrupt the lower you go, and the Republican party is more corrupt the higher you go. I'm not sure if its true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Wow, that might be the most accurate statement Ive ever heard in my life

Wow,

I once had someone tell me that the Democratic party is more corrupt the lower you go, and the Republican party is more corrupt the higher you go.

yea, riiiiiiight

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(jheath160 @ May 10, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
Following a long, hard local mayoral campaign, I was disappointed that my candidate did not win, and am now starting to rethink my party affiliation. So, educate me...why should I stay a Dem, rather than move over to the Republican side?

In my opinion, party affiliation matters more the higher up you get. On a city level, party affiliation means little - especially in the city that you live in.

On a national level, I honestly don't understand why a lot of people affiliate the way they do. Where do you fall on the side of issues nationally? That's where your party affiliation really matters.

QUOTE(Soxy @ May 10, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
I'll pre-empt Kap's response here: They're all rotten and corrupt to the very core.

:lol: Thanks for being there for me!

Seriously, though, there's some "good" politicians, but the very SYSTEM is corrupt, and it makes for corrupt people that run for office, even at the local levels.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 11, 2007 -> 07:43 AM)
:lol: Thanks for being there for me!

Seriously, though, there's some "good" politicians, but the very SYSTEM is corrupt, and it makes for corrupt people that run for office, even at the local levels.(1)

I disagree (gee what a surprise!) but perhaps it's the label, not the actions we disagree on.

I've seen a system that truly rewards corruption, up close and personal, when I worked in Mexico. The corruption at the lowest levels is common place. An extra $5 to process this application and stuff like this.

I believe the tremendous financial requirements of running even a local campaign creates a situation where access is greater for the wealthy and generous and not for the majority of citizens. I believe they have to prostitute themselves with fundraising and etc, to keep the flow of campaign money flowing. I don't believe we have many laws written because of bribes to officials. I don't believe the vast majority of elected officials are "for sale".

I believe our justice system favors those that can afford the best attorneys and "expert" witnesses. But I don't think the vast majority of judges accept bribes for rulings.

(1) You know something about School Board candidates in Indiana?

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 12, 2007 -> 06:59 AM)
I disagree (gee what a surprise!) but perhaps it's the label, not the actions we disagree on.

I've seen a system that truly rewards corruption, up close and personal, when I worked in Mexico. The corruption at the lowest levels is common place. An extra $5 to process this application and stuff like this.

I believe the tremendous financial requirements of running even a local campaign creates a situation where access is greater for the wealthy and generous and not for the majority of citizens. I believe they have to prostitute themselves with fundraising and etc, to keep the flow of campaign money flowing. I don't believe we have many laws written because of bribes to officials. I don't believe the vast majority of elected officials are "for sale".

I believe our justice system favors those that can afford the best attorneys and "expert" witnesses. But I don't think the vast majority of judges accept bribes for rulings.

(1) You know something about School Board candidates in Indiana?

Send me $100 introduction fee and I will tell you...