Outfield Options

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 21, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
As I've said previously, Erstad is not worth $6M. But, if the White Sox want to pay it, who am I to complain?

He's a fine ballplayer and has preformed admirably thus far without any injuries. I don't know if that is a vesting option, but in the event that it is not, a reduced contract can always be worked out. I think Erstad will be a part of the 2008 ball club in one capacity or another.

Signing Ichiro would be great, IMO. But I'd rather see him in CF than RF. A Sweeney, Ichiro, Erstad outfield would be lucky to have 25 HRs between them in a full year. That's a lot of power to sacrifice in the OF.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
Excellent news. I didn't remember the 6 million but so many were talking about it so I bought into it. I think we will see Erstad back for 3.5 or so.

I think the Sox want no part of Rocco, he has had more injury problems than Pods and Erstad combined. It it was too early to find a good partner to trade with because too many teams feel they are still in contention for the postseason. I think that viable options are Coco Crisp - whom I would rather not have, Matt Kemp, Lastings Milledge, James Loney, Jeff Baker or Fred Lewis.. in other words someone who is being blocked or is blocking someone else from seeing the field.

Each team, except the Giants, would probably want SP in return, the Giants may be satisfied will bullpen help.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 21, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
Signing Ichiro would be great, IMO. But I'd rather see him in CF than RF. A Sweeney, Ichiro, Erstad outfield would be lucky to have 25 HRs between them in a full year. That's a lot of power to sacrifice in the OF.

Measuring the potency of a ball club by the projected number of home runs, eh?

My, my, have we learned nothing.

I realized you prefaced that with "That's a lot of power to sacrifice in the OF," but, that is still a very dangerous mindset. You measure the potency of a ball club by the number of projected runs scored--a derivation of which comes from statistics other than a simple home run tally.

That is how you build a winning ball club. The home runs will more than take care of themselves playing home games in US Cellular Field.

with wynn's 19 game hit streak, i doubt the giants would be willing to give him up. i think they want somebody to protect bonds. having just bonds being the only good hitter would be asking for 3 walks a game for him

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ May 21, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
I think the Sox want no part of Rocco, he has had more injury problems than Pods and Erstad combined. It it was too early to find a good partner to trade with because too many teams feel they are still in contention for the postseason. I think that viable options are Coco Crisp - whom I would rather not have, Matt Kemp, Lastings Milledge, James Loney, Jeff Baker or Fred Lewis.. in other words someone who is being blocked or is blocking someone else from seeing the field.

Each team, except the Giants, would probably want SP in return, the Giants may be satisfied will bullpen help.

One thing I can tell you is that the Sox have inquired about Rocco in the past and have tried to work out deals for him (this was as recent as a couple weeks before the regular season began). I have no idea if they have had any talks since. I also know the Sox talked to the Brewers about Brady Clark, but were unable to work out an agreement and he eventually went to the Dodgers.

Griffey is an overpaid, injury-prone dinosaur who can't play CF that well anymore. No thanks. Crawford would be awesome, but TB would probably want Danks, Gio, and at least one other top-tier guy. No thanks again.

If they wanted to go after a big-money FA, I'd be happiest with Ichiro. Not sure if he'd want to come to Chicago, though. If that doesn't happen, I'd be satisfied with somebody like Baldelli or Broussard.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
One thing I can tell you is that the Sox have inquired about Rocco in the past and have tried to work out deals for him (this was as recent as a couple weeks before the regular season began). I have no idea if they have had any talks since. I also know the Sox talked to the Brewers about Brady Clark, but were unable to work out an agreement and he eventually went to the Dodgers.

What purpose would Brady Clark serve?

If we're not going to play Sweeney (and I understand the club's reluctance) everyday, then the player should clearly be better than a platoon of Ozuna and Mackowiak.

I don't see how Brady Clark fits that bill. We might as well get a younger player with some upside, rather than recycling more veterans like Mack, Everett and Erstad.

Brady Clark would've been the 4th OF but that ship has sailed. He would have been the guy instead of Terrero. Williams says Owens is "almost" ready so expect to see him at some point. It is no secret to anyone on this site that Williams is cranky right now. I expect to see some bullpen shuffling this week and it's always easier to change the 24th/25th guys on the roster vs. making a major trade.

They need someone disruptive. Is Owens that guy, I don't know. Look at Theriot he is a pain in the rear to play against and the Sox need more of his type. Williams said a week or so ago he didn't know what kind of team he had and what is needed, well I think he knows now after that little speech to Chuck Garfien yesterday.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 21, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
Measuring the potency of a ball club by the projected number of home runs, eh?

My, my, have we learned nothing.

I realized you prefaced that with "That's a lot of power to sacrifice in the OF," but, that is still a very dangerous mindset. You measure the potency of a ball club by the number of projected runs scored--a derivation of which comes from statistics other than a simple home run tally.

That is how you build a winning ball club. The home runs will more than take care of themselves playing home games in US Cellular Field.

We'll probably disagree, but I think power is an important component of an offense. I'm perfectly happy to sacrifice power in a lineup in return for a high OBP. But in the OF in question, neither Sweeney nor Erstad can be considered a high-OBP player in 2008. With Fields likely to be at 3B and I don't know who at 2B (Mack? Ozuna? Andy Gonzalez?) I'd like to see the Sox bring in another OF that packs more offensive punch than Erstad or Sweeney.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 21, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
What purpose would Brady Clark serve?

If we're not going to play Sweeney (and I understand the club's reluctance) everyday, then the player should clearly be better than a platoon of Ozuna and Mackowiak.

I don't see how Brady Clark fits that bill. We might as well get a younger player with some upside, rather than recycling more veterans like Mack, Everett and Erstad.

Note that I said they tried to acquire him before the season started (back when Pods and Brian Anderson were still on the active roster)

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 21, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
What about Ryan Church?

At the beginning of the season, when they hated his guts, maybe. But considering how well he's hit for them (scuffled a bit lately, but still), and the fact that they have NOTHING on that team, I think he'd be pretty expensive. But then, it is Bowden, so it would be worth a shot.

QUOTE(toasty @ May 22, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
ROWAND

:bang

TIER 1

Dunn

Jose Cruz

Ibanez

Pat Burrell

Jay Gibbons

Melky Cabrera

TIER 2

Mench

Emil Brown

Reggie Sanders

Jay Payton

Brad Wilkerson

Ryan Klesko

Jeff Conine

TIER 3

Langerhans

either Hairston brother

Termel Sledge

Frank Catalanotto

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 23, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
TIER 1

Dunn

Jose Cruz

Ibanez

Pat Burrell

Jay Gibbons

Melky Cabrera

TIER 2

Mench

Emil Brown

Reggie Sanders

Jay Payton

Brad Wilkerson

Ryan Klesko

Jeff Conine

TIER 3

Langerhans

either Hairston brother

Termel Sledge

Frank Catalanotto

I don't see the point in listing anything after tier 1. I don't want any of those guys if we have to give anything up. Over half aren't even better than a mack/whoever platoon.

QUOTE(max power @ May 23, 2007 -> 05:48 PM)
I don't see the point in listing anything after tier 1. I don't want any of those guys if we have to give anything up. Over half aren't even better than a mack/whoever platoon.

Because 75% of the time KW makes a mid-season move, it's a player similar to those I listed in Tier 2/3.

QUOTE(toasty @ May 22, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
ROWAND

:bang

That probably doesn't need to be green. KW loves him, and if he continues to play well while Philly drops out of the playoff picture, there is a chance that he will be back in a Sox uniform. He moves into Center, and Erstad moves to left. Slim chance, but you never know.