rate my professor

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 24, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
Anyone actually check out those sites before signing up for classes? Hey jim, what do your students say about you?

We have college-run websites (by the student assembly) that have a really detailed analysis of the course by different anonymous students, and you have to have a password to prove you're a student to post. I always try to keep in mind that the only people who ever write anything are the ones who really like or didn't like a class, but they can be very helpful in avoiding trainwreck classes.

After a couple of years, I was curious to see what kinds of rates one of my favorite professors was getting, and I was surprised to see that he mostly got some pretty crappy ones. I like to think he was somewhat influential on how I think of and look at certain things today, so I'm glad I never let this kind of website really influence the classes I took. It's a different experience for a lot of students as some of the professors I saw getting good ratings I found rather annoying. But then again, I maybe could have saved myself from a couple of crappy classes if I had taken a look at these kinds of ratings.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 24, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
Anyone actually check out those sites before signing up for classes? Hey jim, what do your students say about you?

They say that as long as you buy the prof a sixpack of Guinness (Foreign Extra, no widgets) on nights he has to grade papers or exams, then you'll do fine.

And they are right. :drink

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 25, 2007 -> 01:21 AM)
They say that as long as you buy the prof a sixpack of Guinness (Foreign Extra, no widgets) on nights he has to grade papers or exams, then you'll do fine.

:cheers :D

I never use ratemyprofessor, i find it useless, the only real tool you need and I use is the grade distribution the school provides, showing the avg. GPA handed out, and even amt. of A's, B's, C's etc.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 25, 2007 -> 01:42 AM)
I never use ratemyprofessor, i find it useless, the only real tool you need and I use is the grade distribution the school provides, showing the avg. GPA handed out, and even amt. of A's, B's, C's etc.

Yeah, thanks to some guy at the student success center telling me that. :D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 24, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)

Did you teach microeconomics per chance, because that sounds awful familiar. :bang

Ehhh...back in my day, we didn't HAVE rate my professor sites...and we LIKED it!

Seriously, I had some great professors and bad ones...but that kinda got me ready for the real world. I've had great bosses and horrible bosses. I don't know if I would have used it when I was in college back in the 1800's, but I think I would look at the ratings...and then promptly ignore them.

I was just looking at some of the rating for professors I had and can guess how many "bad grade hatchet jobs" I was reading, I like the concept, but the comments are suspicious at best.

I don't buy into that crap. I have looked a couple times but never picked my schedule based on it. I had friends that literally read all through it before finally picking out there schedule (and based there whole schedule upon it).

Personally I figured a lot of good teachers (who may just be tough) get slammed a lot on there and for me when I was in class I liked to get pushed (and joke around with attractive girls and my friends) so I really could care less whether a teacher was tough or not.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 26, 2007 -> 02:38 AM)
amen to that. This semester should be a breeze for me based on the teachers (Brian Brooks is apparently easy for CCJ.)

yep. The first week he'll give you a lot of work then the rest of the time he just talks to you. You learn a lot, thou.

I've looked at it. Put a little stock in it but don't look on the negatives so much because it is usually people who are pissed because the prof actually made them go to class. Have found some good teachers at school through that site though.