Why doesn't Bobby Jenks ever pitch in close games?

bigred3535

THE BULLPEN  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Why doesn't Bobby Jenks ever pitch in close games?

• He's had secret food poisoning for the last three weeks
    • His fastball is selective, and doesn't reach above 90 mph unless we have a 2+ run lead
    • Ozzie's an idiot
    • Ozzie's a genius and is throwing the season so he gets fired, a nice severance package, and Jim Leyland hires him as a 3rd base coach
    • Ryan Bukvich is the closer of the future
    • Ozzie doesn't like him because he's not a "grinder" (aka has talent)
    • With Pablo Ozuna hurt, the team feels they'd be better off if he could gradually transition into a "super-utility" role
    • Ozzie wants me to die a slow and painful death

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
Great Post!

How about the fact that we don't win games. Might that have something to do with why Bobby Jenks is never brought in to close?

At this point in time, Bobby isn't our "closer," as there is no such thing exists on this team. He is our "best bullpen pitcher" who should be used to "keep it close" so we atleast have a chance to win, even if it is very, very, VERY minute.

Who would you rather bring in? Bobby Jenks and his shiny 2.49 ERA or Ryan "27.00 ERA, suckas!" Bukvich/Bret Prinz/?

Not even a question in my mind.

Edited by TitoMB345

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
At this point in time, Bobby isn't our "closer," as there is no such thing exists on this team. He is our "best bullpen pitcher" who should be used to "keep it close" so we atleast have a chance to win, even if it is very, very, VERY minute.

Who would you rather bring in? Bobby Jenks and his shiny 2.49 ERA or Ryan "27.00 ERA, suckas!" Bukvich/Bret Prinz/?

Not even a question in my mind.

... unless of course you are preserving a lead that does not exist. Which game should Jenks have been brought in? The eighth yesterday. We know Bobby and closers in general don't do well for mulitple innings.

Because Ozzie has this bullpen problem thingy. If he brings Bobby in for a hold, and his offense doesnt score and it goes into extra innings, then he doesnt have anyone to actually close the game should the Sox take a lead(haha, funny).

Basically, Ozzie is pretty much in a corner with his inneffective bullpen.

I suppose Ozzie could bring him in a little more in games like last night where it was 4-3, but were the Sox going to score on Riviera? Doubtful

hmm. maybe its because if we go extra innings ozzie wants him available. SHOCKING!

duh.

That just illustrates that Ozzie doesn't have any clue how to utilize his bullpen resources, and apparenlty a lot of posters here don't either. It's useless to have a closer if we're never in the lead in the ninth inning. So the question is, would you rather have your best pitcher come in after the starter leaves in the seventh or eighth with a one or two run lead and two runners on...then have a s***ty pitcher come in in the ninth with no runners on and perhaps luck into three outs without any runs scoring OR would you rather have Nick Masset come in in the above situation, let the two runners who were on score, in addition to one or two more probably and not use your best pitcher at all. It's a simple matter of leveraging the talent that we actually do have in the bullpen into the most beneficial use, and Ozzie hasn't done that all in the last few weeks. With the quality of our bullpen pitchers and offense we can't afford to lock our best one into a situation that hasn't been occuring too much (1-3 run lead in the ninth inning). It's a pretty outdated concept that doesn't apply to the White Sox.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
and the quality of soxtalk threads continues to diminish....

P.S. Lighten up. It's only a joke...I didn't know the forums were only for serious talk like "FIRE KW," "I hate the White Sox" and "Let's trade Jermaine Dye for Carl Crawford straight up; the D-Rays will do it."

NOTE: Edited to fix quotes

Edited by bigred3535

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
That just illustrates that Ozzie doesn't have any clue how to utilize his bullpen resources, and apparenlty a lot of posters here don't either. It's useless to have a closer if we're never in the lead in the ninth inning. So the question is, would you rather have your best pitcher come in after the starter leaves in the seventh or eighth with a one or two run lead and two runners on...then have a s***ty pitcher come in in the ninth with no runners on and perhaps luck into three outs without any runs scoring OR would you rather have Nick Masset come in in the above situation, let the two runners who were on score, in addition to one or two more probably and not use your best pitcher at all. It's a simple matter of leveraging the talent that we actually do have in the bullpen into the most beneficial use, and Ozzie hasn't done that all in the last few weeks. With the quality of our bullpen pitchers and offense we can't afford to lock our best one into a situation that hasn't been occuring too much (1-3 run lead in the ninth inning). It's a pretty outdated concept that doesn't apply to the White Sox.

P.S. Lighten up. It's only a joke...I didn't know the forums were only for serious talk like "FIRE KW," "I hate the White Sox" and "Let's trade Jermaine Dye for Carl Crawford straight up; the D-Rays will do it."

NOTE: Edited to fix quotes

THANK YOU! Finally someone who actually understands. There are very, very few "save" situations for this club now, and therefore Bobby could sit on the bench and rot. Id rather take my chances bringing him in in the 8th down by 1 and atleast have a CHANCE to win in the 8th and 9th rather than put in someone who is going to make it obvious we aren't going to win.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 03:04 AM)
THANK YOU! Finally someone who actually understands. There are very, very few "save" situations for this club now, and therefore Bobby could sit on the bench and rot. Id rather take my chances bringing him in in the 8th down by 1 and atleast have a CHANCE to win in the 8th and 9th rather than put in someone who is going to make it obvious we aren't going to win.

Bobby at least gives this team a chance for a comeback. However, he should only be brought in if we're down 1 run in the 9th inning. No reason to waste him if we're down 3 runs....we can't even get that in 9 innings.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Bobby at least gives this team a chance for a comeback. However, he should only be brought in if we're down 1 run in the 9th inning. No reason to waste him if we're down 3 runs....we can't even get that in 9 innings.
I

Agreed. Thats what I have been saying.