Justin Verlander

Bonderman38

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Wait a minute, isn't he supposed to suck this year? He pitched in the WS last year, he should be totally drained.

Not a good comparison at all. First, our top starters from 2005 all threw well over 200 innings, and that doesn't even include the playoffs. Second, Verlander is in his second full season. He has nowhere near the mileage on his arm most of our guys did.

Edited by Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 04:53 AM)
Verlander, Miller, and Porcello are gonna make one hell of a young trio... I hate the tigers more then anything right now. But hey, let me know when and if they win a world series anytime soon. At least I have something!

I wouldn't quite put Porcello's name with those two yet. First, he'll have to sign, and the Tigers will only have until Aug. 15 to get it done with the new rules in place. However, that said, I do think the Tigers will give him what he wants money-wise. Second, he's very young and high school players are far from sure-things. Now, I'm not saying he won't be good, and I would have loved for the Sox to take him, but I'll wait till I see results at upper levels before I start putting him alongside Verlander and Miller.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 06:22 PM)
Buehrle>Verlander

Career wise yes...but upside wise I'd say no. I Freaking love watching Verlander pitch, especially now that his slider is getting even sicker and his changeup is getting a lot better. The guy is flat nasty.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
Nope -- you only forfeit it if the pick is #16 or lower (ie 16-30). We might lose our second rounder, but not our first.

Edit: Nevermind, mis-read your pick and your right, this club is likely going to be selecting top 10 unless it makes some serious changes.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 12:52 AM)
There's a case for both but I prefer Buehrle's, both because of Less Batters and because he's a White Sock.

I don't see how there can be any argument. In terms of predicting future performance, I love the high-k guy. But in terms of past results, who cares if it's a k or a fo? An out's an out, and Buehrle got 'em easier.

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 12:10 AM)
ESPN seems to disagree...but what do they know.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/bestgames

Detroit Tigers

Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA

J Verlander (W, 7-2) 9.0 0 0 0 4 12 0 112-73 2.79

Totals 9.0 0 0 0 4 12 0 112-73

PITCHING

Batters faced: J Verlander 30

Ground Balls-Fly Balls: J Verlander 11-4

Game Scores: J Verlander 95

Hey, check out who had the best game in 2002 under that link. A dream weaver sighting.

Considering how close some of our guys have been to no hitters I'm glad we finally got one by Buehrle this season.

That start by Buehrle vs the Mariners in 05 where he struck out 12 and allowed three hits all to Ichiro facing the minimum and recording the fastest game. You could argue 3 hits is done a lot, but all to Ichiro while facing the minimum is quite a feat.

Then those Garcia starts vs the Twins and Angels where he only allowed one hit.

Anywho, Verlander is flat out nasty. One thing about watching great things like that happen is I enjoy them more after we've done them. Kind of that "I remember that feeling..."

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
Considering how close some of our guys have been to no hitters I'm glad we finally got one by Buehrle this season.

That start by Buehrle vs the Mariners in 05 where he struck out 12 and allowed three hits all to Ichiro facing the minimum and recording the fastest game. You could argue 3 hits is done a lot, but all to Ichiro while facing the minimum is quite a feat.

Then those Garcia starts vs the Twins and Angels where he only allowed one hit.

Anywho, Verlander is flat out nasty. One thing about watching great things like that happen is I enjoy them more after we've done them. Kind of that "I remember that feeling..."

im pretty sure he didnt face the mininum in that game. Because like you said 3 hits from Ichiro and its hard to believe he got out on a double play 3 times. The other time he did face the mininum was vs Cleveland a couple years back, in that game he allowed 2 baserunners both which ended up turning into double plays. Also his last out of that game was Grady Sizemore's first ab if I remember right.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 12:42 AM)
im pretty sure he didnt face the mininum in that game. Because like you said 3 hits from Ichiro and its hard to believe he got out on a double play 3 times. The other time he did face the mininum was vs Cleveland a couple years back, in that game he allowed 2 baserunners both which ended up turning into double plays. Also his last out of that game was Grady Sizemore's first ab if I remember right.

You are right. The game I confused it with was that Cleveland game where he faced 1 over the minimum.