Going to U.S. Cellular for the first time

Grebeck Fan Club

I'm coming to Chicago on July 4 for a long weekend. To make a short story long, I have tickets to the July 5 Orioles game and would like some advice. What are the good eats inside the stadium? What's the best way to get there?

Typical tourist stuff would be appreciated. Best place for Chicago pizza, good location for July 4 fireworks (I hear there are none downtown), etc. etc.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Grebeck Fan Club @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 08:19 AM)
I'm coming to Chicago on July 4 for a long weekend. To make a short story long, I have tickets to the July 5 Orioles game and would like some advice. What are the good eats inside the stadium? What's the best way to get there?

Typical tourist stuff would be appreciated. Best place for Chicago pizza, good location for July 4 fireworks (I hear there are none downtown), etc. etc.

Everything is a good eat inside the stadium!!

The Taste of Chicago is goin on that week. You could check that out. And there is definitely Fireworks July 4th downtown at Navy Pier.

Where will you be staying? That will make a difference in the best way for you to get to the ballpark.

My favorite food at the stadium is the Polish sausage with grilled onions. I think that's your "must" food for the trip.

More later....

Edited by Balance

Everything to eat inside the park is great and you have a large selection to choose from. Where are you staying? That will help with advising on the best route in.

Best pizza depends on whether you like thin, thick, or stuffed.

You heard wrong on the fireworks info. There are scheduled fireworks displays all week from June 30 to July 4th - with huge ones off Navy Pier both July 3rd and 4th.

As everyone else has said, everything in the stadium is quite delicious, you can't beat the Brats though imo. Obviously that's just a preference but those things are amazing.

For pizza, Lou Malnati's is the best food of all time :D . Due's is quite amazing and a lot of people love Giordano's too. Just throwing those names out there.

QUOTE(Grebeck Fan Club @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want pizza Lou Malnati's is the best. Might want to check out the Bullpen Sports Bar.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 08:45 AM)
The Taste of Chicago is goin on that week. You could check that out. And there is definitely Fireworks July 4th downtown at Navy Pier.

Be sure to go to the taste at an off-peak time, if you want to get food. To me it is a little over-rated as there are literally a million people in Grant Park for the fireworks, so it gets pretty crazy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
Be sure to go to the taste at an off-peak time, if you want to get food. To me it is a little over-rated as there are literally a million people in Grant Park for the fireworks, so it gets pretty crazy.

The late morning/early afternoon of the 4th, IMO, is the best time to go. Folks don't seem to start coming down until 4ish to get a spot for the fireworks.

The polish with onions is the must-have food at the Cell. Corn off the cob is good. The burgers/hot dogs at the concession stands (the ones that serve a bunch of things) you can skip.

As for Taste--totally overrated and crowded as hell.

Go in the morning/before noon; go on a weekday--it's much more manageable.

BTW guys there's fireworks every Wednesday night off Navy pier and not 1,000,000 people there like there will be on July 4th. I went to Grant Park on the fourth once. Once. Never again.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
The polish with onions is the must-have food at the Cell. Corn off the cob is good. The burgers/hot dogs at the concession stands (the ones that serve a bunch of things) you can skip.

As for Taste--totally overrated and crowded as hell.

Go in the morning/before noon; go on a weekday--it's much more manageable.

BTW guys there's fireworks every Wednesday night off Navy pier and not 1,000,000 people there like there will be on July 4th. I went to Grant Park on the fourth once. Once. Never again.

I haven't been to the taste in years. Way too crowded for me, but if you're not from here...it's definitely something to check out and the best way to "taste chicago" so to speak.

If it's hot, you must have some Dippin Dots. Simply the best ice cream ever. Connies Pizza is great, nachos are great, the polishes are great, and the kosher dogs are great. Basically, all the food at the park is great.

I prefer Giordano's Pizza outside the park, and especially if you like the stuffed pizza, it's the way to go IMO. If you want a really fancy dinner and you want to go crazy, Fogo de Chau.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
If it's hot, you must have some Dippin Dots. Simply the best ice cream ever. Connies Pizza is great, nachos are great, the polishes are great, and the kosher dogs are great. Basically, all the food at the park is great.

I love dippin dots. They have them at six flags also. It is like hail drops from the heavens.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
I haven't been to the taste in years. Way too crowded for me, but if you're not from here...it's definitely something to check out and the best way to "taste chicago" so to speak.

I haven't been back in like 5 years and I think I'm finally going to get a chance to hit up ze taste again this year. Looking forwards to it, even with the crowds.

Maybe next year I can go the Chicago. Last time I saw the Sox in Chitown was 1987 at Old Comiskey. I saw that there Kenny Williams guy hit a homer against Milwaukee. The only other games in person were seeing the Sox as visitors. I think when I was in Chicago in '87 I stayed at some small motel off the interstate in South Holland.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(Chi Town Sox @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)
not to make the mood negative, i was at lou malnati's and got their pizza and it didn't impress me much. was sausage pizza the wrong thing to order or something? it tasted no better than giordano's to me

I always get sausage. Tis my favorite meal in the whole world.