I know it sounds crazy, but....

dagotony06

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:48 AM)
If the Sox go on any kind of run, it won't matter what any of the pending free agent's trade value is at come the deadline because KW will be buying rather than selling which will only hurt this team for the immediate future (say 2008.) If you look at the Sox' bullpen, outfield and left side of the infield and think they can catch 2 outstanding ballclubs in Cleveland and Detroit then you're completely delusional. At this point how many players on the Sox' 25 man roster are superior to their counterparts on those of the Tigers and Indians?

Well if they go on a run like I said at least 14-5 if not better, then why not go for it. Cleveland or Detroit isn't running away withthis division. Cleveland is 13 games over .500, and Detroit is 11 over. So to me no one is running away with anything. If we could have played at least .500, we would only be 6.5 out. I know we haven't played .500, I'm just using it as an example, to show no one is running away with this division. Sure Cleveland has a solid team, but they have their problems, and Detroit is solid, but I believe they are gonna fade off in the 2nd half. The Yankees have turned it around pretty quick in the last couple weeks, who says we can't do the same. Even if we only go 10-9 or 8-11 or whatever, maybe a few of these guys will increase their value. I just don't see the problem with waiting a few weeks and seeing if this team can go on a run. If they catch fire and go 16-3 or 17-2, then hell yeah I want KW to be a buyer and go for it all. If they don't, then there is still more than enough time to make deals. The trading deadline is July 31st, not June 31st. There will be plenty of time to trade people away if they can't turn it around in the next couple weeks.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
You could have asked the same question about the 2005 team and go player by player against a few other teams and no one would have picked the White Sox. Boston, Anaheim, NY... player vs. player it didn't match up good for the White Sox. You really can't compare teams that way in such a huge team sport like baseball.

Actually the Sox compared very well to the opposition in '05, the Sox bullpen was far superior to that of the Yankees and Red Sox, same goes for the starting rotation as well. The White Sox had a more potent lineup than that of the Angels in to go along with a better rotation.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if they go on a run like I said at least 14-5 if not better, then why not go for it. Cleveland or Detroit isn't running away withthis division. Cleveland is 13 games over .500, and Detroit is 11 over. So to me no one is running away with anything. If we could have played at least .500, we would only be 6.5 out. I know we haven't played .500, I'm just using it as an example, to show no one is running away with this division. Sure Cleveland has a solid team, but they have their problems, and Detroit is solid, but I believe they are gonna fade off in the 2nd half. The Yankees have turned it around pretty quick in the last couple weeks, who says we can't do the same. Even if we only go 10-9 or 8-11 or whatever, maybe a few of these guys will increase their value. I just don't see the problem with waiting a few weeks and seeing if this team can go on a run. If they catch fire and go 16-3 or 17-2, then hell yeah I want KW to be a buyer and go for it all. If they don't, then there is still more than enough time to make deals. The trading deadline is July 31st, not June 31st. There will be plenty of time to trade people away if they can't turn it around in the next couple weeks.

He's got a point there. The only problem with waiting is the fear of pending FAs going down with some sort of injury - then your trading chip(s) are gone and you will get nothing to fill future holes. Not only that, but a lot of teams like to get more playing time out of the player - 3 months instead of 2 months - and will give up a little bit more for it. Those are 2 ways it may hurt. I like your optimism, there just has to be a point where a realistic line is drawn. They have to decide how far behind and at what point they will start selling - which I am sure they have done already.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually the Sox compared very well to the opposition in '05, the Sox bullpen was far superior to that of the Yankees and Red Sox, same goes for the starting rotation as well. The White Sox had a more potent lineup than that of the Angels in to go along with a better rotation.

They had a better rotation than everyone - that and defense is what won the World Series. The Angels had a dominant bullpen. The White Sox had 3 guys. The Yankees and Red Sox had much better lineups. All of those teams scored more than the White Sox that year. I really don't buy your argument there. The places that the White Sox were far superior to other teams were in fielding and SP. That is what won the World Series. Also unbelievable timely hitting.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:11 AM)
They had a better rotation than everyone - that and defense is what won the World Series. The Angels had a dominant bullpen. The White Sox had 3 guys. The Yankees and Red Sox had much better lineups. All of those teams scored more than the White Sox that year. I really don't buy your argument there. The places that the White Sox were far superior to other teams were in fielding and SP. That is what won the World Series. Also unbelievable timely hitting.

Our bullpen was pretty much fantastic considering the fact that our starters all usually went at least 6 innings. We had 3 fantastic relievers at all times(for the first half Hermy being one and Jenks being one in the 2nd half) and at least Viz was able to get outs.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:01 AM)

Define how you would want Williams to 'go for it.' Which players would you prefer he acquire -- bullpen arms, OF help? What trading chips would you be willing to surrender for such players, knowing full-well we're still ~5 games out of playoff contention? Isn't this precisely the problem, forsaking prospects for assitance when we're nowhere near guaranteed to reach the playoffs?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
Define how you would want Williams to 'go for it.' Which players would you prefer he aquire -- bullpen arms, OF help? What trading chips would you be willing to surrender for such players, knowing full-well we're still ~5 games out of playoff contention? Isn't this percisely the problem, forsaking prospects for assitance when we're nowhere near guaranteed to reach the playoffs?

Well if we get to be only 5 games out by the All star break, after the way we played the first 2 and a half months of the season, then I would be ecstatic. I would definitely try to improve the bullpen, maybe even one of the starters, preferably Contreras, if we could get an upgrade. I would have to wait and decide what else I would do until I see what is on the market, and see who has improved and who hasn't. It all depends on what I would think the team needs at that time. I can't see into the future, i wish I could but I wasn't blessed with that ability. :lol: This is all based on if they can ctach fire thses next 19 games. If they can't, then all bets are off, and I agree we back the truck up and unload whoever we can, and build up for the future.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our bullpen was pretty much fantastic considering the fact that our starters all usually went at least 6 innings. We had 3 fantastic relievers at all times(for the first half Hermy being one and Jenks being one in the 2nd half) and at least Viz was able to get outs.

I am not at all disagreeing with you, however, the Angels bullpen was crazy dominant.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Define how you would want Williams to 'go for it.' Which players would you prefer he acquire -- bullpen arms, OF help? What trading chips would you be willing to surrender for such players, knowing full-well we're still ~5 games out of playoff contention? Isn't this precisely the problem, forsaking prospects for assitance when we're nowhere near guaranteed to reach the playoffs?

Flash, you ask too many good and intriguing questions. Leave it up to KW to do it. F prospects if we get legitimate proven ball players for them. Prospects have become highly overrated, so much so that some think Milledge for Buehrle is a good deal. I don't understand.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
You caught me. Hopefully he will get back to his fun facts of 2005 instead of his career after that.

Mmmmmm, 5 Chicago Style Vienna Beef Hotdogs...

That was several groin injuries ago. I doubt he'll ever get that step back.

Vienna beef hotdogs are delicious, though.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:38 AM)
I am not at all disagreeing with you, however, the Angels bullpen was crazy dominant.

Flash, you ask too many good and intriguing questions. Leave it up to KW to do it. F prospects if we get legitimate proven ball players for them. Prospects have become highly overrated, so much so that some think Milledge for Buehrle is a good deal. I don't understand.

i second that, prospects are too hit or miss for me. give me the proven stater (i.e. buehrle) any day over a prospect