The .198 Hinske overshift, Ozzie's brilliance at work

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 06:40 PM)
I just have to add this.

What the hell has Owens done to "earn a spot"? Have I not been watching? Has the talent level sunk that low?

He's hit about .300 and stole something like 7 or 8 bases since he got called up around the 4th. Its exactly what Ozzie has been looking for all year long. Of course he loves Owens. He is Pods without the injuries.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
Finally, Its one thing to start a thread about a bad call in a game, and it is quite another to be begging someone to argue with you. Its even worse to already be claiming to be the victim when you start a new thread. The whole "poor me" routine is so old, it isn't even funny.

That's where I disagree with you...

They are VERY FUNNY. You see its all an attention getting act. Stir the pot...hope for an argument. He's kind of like Andy Kaufman without all that talent getting in the way.

This is why I'm positive its an act. He can't be serious with this statement:

That was the worst managed/coached game I've ever seen in any sport. I've seen worse individual moves, but overall I've never seen a worse game. I honestly wonder if Ozzie either wants to be fired or bet on the Red Sox.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 02:57 AM)
its not like A.) the Sox offense was going to come back, or B.) the bullpen could have held up even if we scored 8 runs to get the lead again. In other words it didn't matter if Jesus Christ himself came out of the Sox pen last night, he still would have walked the bases loaded last night, and then gave up a grand slam.

So you're saying pretty much that it didn't matter what the hell Ozzie did, the game was over anyways. If that's the case, why doesn't Ozzie just have the White Sox players come off the field when they get down by three or more runs at any time the rest of the season? Hell, Ozzie can just have a little fun -- let's put Contreras in CF, Jenks at SS and Buehrle behind homeplate.

Just so we have this clear, everybody -- from now on, Ozzie gets a pass on ANY decision made when the Sox are down by more than one run. Apparently I was wrong in thinking that the manager's job was to put make decisions that gives his team the best possible shot at winning.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)
That's where I disagree with you...

They are VERY FUNNY. You see its all an attention getting act. Stir the pot...hope for an argument. He's kind of like Andy Kaufman without all that talent getting in the way.

You know what I find very funny? The fact that it's clockwork that people like you come into threads like this and never, EVER defend Ozzie's decisions. In fact -- it's very ironic that you're the one saying that other people are stirring the pot. What do you do? You come into these threads and throw s*** at other people. Have you ever actually tried to put up an argument relevant to Ozzie's decision-making? No -- you come in here and just point the finger at the people who are calling out Ozzie on the (stupid) moves he makes. And when it comes to these threads taling about individual moves in individual games, what do you do? Bring up irrelevant bulls***.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

EDIT: The only person who actually came in and put up a decent defense for the Ozzie shift was TLAK. And I've seen absolutely nothing for leaving in Contreras for the 8th.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
So you're saying pretty much that it didn't matter what the hell Ozzie did, the game was over anyways. If that's the case, why doesn't Ozzie just have the White Sox players come off the field when they get down by three or more runs at any time the rest of the season? Hell, Ozzie can just have a little fun -- let's put Contreras in CF, Jenks at SS and Buehrle behind homeplate.

Just so we have this clear, everybody -- from now on, Ozzie gets a pass on ANY decision made when the Sox are down by more than one run. Apparently I was wrong in thinking that the manager's job was to put make decisions that gives his team the best possible shot at winning.

You know what I find very funny? The fact that it's clockwork that people like you come into threads like this and never, EVER defend Ozzie's decisions. In fact -- it's very ironic that you're the one saying that other people are stirring the pot. What do you do? You come into these threads and throw s*** at other people. Have you ever actually tried to put up an argument relevant to Ozzie's decision-making? No -- you come in here and just point the finger at the people who are calling out Ozzie on the (stupid) moves he makes. And when it comes to these threads taling about individual moves in individual games, what do you do? Bring up irrelevant bulls***.

EDIT: The only person who actually came in and put up a decent defense for the Ozzie shift was TLAK. And I've seen absolutely nothing for leaving in Contreras for the 8th.

Awesome post! I can't wait for people to point out that the reason we couldn't trade Contreras was due to his horrible ERA. His ERA would be .6 pts lower if Ozzie didn't give up during the Boston game and the KC game from before the break.

The only managerial skill Ozzie Guillen has ever displayed is the ability to keep the team confident and playing to their abilities. Now he can't even do that.

Otherwise, he's a clown manager.

A shift on a .200 hitter - that's just cynical.

His staff is ridiculously weak, the team can't execute fundamentals, the hitters are impatient, the use of personnel is nutty (cintron as a pinch hitter; killing our defense with Mack in CF last year; Erstad as a leadoff hitter), his pitching acumen is limited to lefty/righty, he throws young players under the bus and has expressed disinterest in working with young players, he has yet to develop a single hitter, et al et al et al.

Thank goodness we won before Ozzie had worked his magic and turned the entire offense into a bunch of dink hitter swing at everything types that he loves.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
The only managerial skill Ozzie Guillen has ever displayed is the ability to keep the team confident and playing to their abilities. Now he can't even do that.

Otherwise, he's a clown manager.

A shift on a .200 hitter - that's just cynical.

His staff is ridiculously weak, the team can't execute fundamentals, the hitters are impatient, the use of personnel is nutty (cintron as a pinch hitter; killing our defense with Mack in CF last year; Erstad as a leadoff hitter), his pitching acumen is limited to lefty/righty, he throws young players under the bus and has expressed disinterest in working with young players, he has yet to develop a single hitter, et al et al et al.

Thank goodness we won before Ozzie had worked his magic and turned the entire offense into a bunch of dink hitter swing at everything types that he loves.

You do realize that Cintron has a reputation as a quality pinch-hitter, that he hit .304 as a pinch-hitter in 2005 with the Diamondbacks, right? And the other two moves were purely done out of necessity -- Mackowiak in center because Anderson stunk at the plate and Erstad as a leadoff hitter because Pods got hurt.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
Awesome post! I can't wait for people to point out that the reason we couldn't trade Contreras was due to his horrible ERA. His ERA would be .6 pts lower if Ozzie didn't give up during the Boston game and the KC game from before the break.

So there is a GM out there thinking... "if only Contreras's era was half a run lower... I'd totally trade for him." Yeah, I am sure he isn't looking at things like his velocity, his arm slot, and the lack of movement on his pitches... Nope it has to be the ERA.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)

LMAO. Yeah, Ozzie gets a pass, that is totally what I said. I'd sure love to see the post where I said that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
So there is a GM out there thinking... "if only Contreras's era was half a run lower... I'd totally trade for him." Yeah, I am sure he isn't looking at things like his velocity, his arm slot, and the lack of movement on his pitches... Nope it has to be the ERA.

Hey for once I totally agree with you here, and the sarcastic point you make in this post about the ERA bulls***. Stop the presses!!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
I just have to add this.

What the hell has Owens done to "earn a spot"? Have I not been watching? Has the talent level sunk that low?

one week of infield singles and a couple grounders up the middle, and all of a sudden Owens is Lance Johnson 2.0

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)

I will defend Ozzie's decisions, if I feel the need to defend them. But thank you for telling me how I should post.

My posts pertain to the extreme negativity towards Ozzie. And by extreme I mean EXTREME. "Worst manager in any sport, ever!" Please. That is an insane and silly post. Does Ozzie make stupid moves...uh yeah. But what I find even more silly is a certain poster who main agenda is to have 20/20 hindsight every time a move backfires and claim superiority over Ozzie and then post. That I find silly, also. I find it stupid to start an argument with other posters in your first post in a thread like he did in this one. What did he hope to accomplish? A reasonable and intellegent discussion? No likely. This is what he wanted.

There are a lot of great posters on this site who dislike Ozzie. I respect their posts and agree with what they say.

Not here.

As for me being irrelevant. You are wrong...

This is an irrelevant.

elephant-statue.jpg

Edited by RibbieRubarb