Darin Erstad

Jim Spencer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
no no no!!

I dubbed Prancer Mr. Glass last year, so grindErstad needs something else.

How about "Former White Sox Center Fielder Darin Erstad?"

It has a nice ring to it.

In Darin's defense, when it counted, he hit .264 in 48 Games. Also stole 7 bases.

That's more than I can say about some other current roster players. (Fields, Podsednik, Owens, Dye, Cintron, Gonzalez, Terrero, Uribe and Hall)

Not saying that he is the greatest in the world, but when healthy (big when) he's better than 1/2 the team.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 12:19 PM)
In Darin's defense, when it counted, he hit .264 in 48 Games. Also stole 7 bases.

That's more than I can say about some other current roster players. (Fields, Podsednik, Owens, Dye, Cintron, Gonzalez, Terrero, Uribe and Hall)

Not saying that he is the greatest in the world, but when healthy (big when) he's better than 1/2 the team.

So you are saying that grindErstad is more help to this team than Josh Fields, assuming both are healthy?

Wow.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
So you are saying that grindErstad is more help to this team than Josh Fields, assuming both are healthy?

Wow.

Fields is only hitting .250, that's not very good. You need to look past more important numbers like his .744 OPS and concentrate on how often he hits singles like Gimpy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
Fields is only hitting .250, that's not very good. You need to look past more important numbers like his .744 OPS and concentrate on how often he hits singles like Gimpy.

June: .218 .274 .333 .607

July: .277 .346 .511 .857

Hopefully, that's a sign he's learning and improving with time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)

Nope sorry, incorrect. Erstad brings more when he is healthy.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)

Back to what you posted earlier... why aren't the Sox trying Fields in LF? Has it been tried before in the minors and failed?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
Back to what you posted earlier... why aren't the Sox trying Fields in LF? Has it been tried before in the minors and failed?

Maybe they just want to get him as much time at 3B as possible, he needs to develop defensively at the position he will likely be spending the majority of his time playing for the rest of his career. At this point they don't even know if Crede will be back with the team next year, it would be kind of silly to take Fields away from his natural/future position to get him some time at another position that he may never even play. LF isn't exactly a tough position to play, if Crede shows up healthy to spring training then Fields can get his time in LF in Tuscon, there shouldn't be much of a learning curve with the switch.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
Maybe they just want to get him as much time at 3B as possible, he needs to develop defensively at the position he will likely be spending the majority of his time playing for the rest of his career. At this point they don't even know if Crede will be back with the team next year, it would be kind of silly to take Fields away from his natural/future position to get him some time at another position that he may never even play. LF isn't exactly a tough position to play, if Crede shows up healthy to spring training then Fields can get his time in LF in Tuscon, there shouldn't be much of a learning curve with the switch.

^^^^.

On that, I certainly Agree. I think if Joe is brought back, it's on like a 2 month "try to rebuild some trade value" plan next year. If we come out and tear the league apart, maybe you hold onto that lineup all year, but that's how I'd hope to set things up next year. Put Fields in LF, Owens in CF, and someone else in RF, unless a better option appears, Crede at 3rd, give it 2-3 months. If the Joe of 06 appears with the bat next year, deal him in June/July to someone looking for a bat at 3rd (There's always, and I mean always a few of those folks) then move Fields back to 3rd, and viola, you've added talent, kept Josh in the big leagues, and maybe even given Sweeney, or, God forbid, Anderson a couple more months in AAA to work on stuff. And if Joe struggles, you lose a couple million, but you dump him and move Josh back to 3rd whenever you finally give up.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)

That's a good point, though I think it wouldn't hurt to play him out there occasionally, just to get a read on his ability to pick it up.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
I fully expect to see Erstad activated today.

I subscribe to those white sox text messages and it sent me one that said that grindERSTAD got activated today. What does everyone think the timetable for his return to the DL is? I'll give him 3 weeks.

I subscribe to those white sox text messages and it sent me one that said that grindERSTAD got activated today. What does everyone think the timetable for his return to the DL is? I'll give him 3 weeks.

If weeks you meant Steps.. then I agree with you.

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
If weeks you meant Steps.. then I agree with you.

I know, three weeks is pushing it a lot, but i wanted to give the master grinder at least a little longer than his prior return of a half inning.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)
^^^

What do KW and Ozzie see in Erstad... he brings nothing to the table.

Wait till Foghorn Leghorn, openly blows him on the TV tonight. OH MY GOD ITS GRINDY AND ITS BACK. THE FUSE IS LIT!!!!!!