Luis Castillo traded to Mets

Kyyle23

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...illo/index.html

The Mets are talking to the Twins about a possible trade for second baseman Luis Castillo, SI.com has learned. The likelihood of a deal being completed is unknown, but the sides are said to be in serious discussions.

The Twins, on the fringe of the pennant race at 53-51 and 6 1/2 games behind Cleveland in the wild-card hunt, are said to have just begun to listen to overtures now on Castillo. The Mets appear to be the most aggressive pursuer for Castillo, who's batting .304 and has nine stolen bases.

Rookie Ruben Gotay has done a nice job since replacing the injured Jose Valentin at second base for the Mets. But the Mets have long been interested in Castillo and nearly signed him before the 2004 season, choosing instead to acquire Kaz Matsui. Castillo has had leg and knee issues in the past but it hasn't affected his play lately. He makes $5.75 million.

Wasnt Ruben Gotay a starter for the Royals at one time? Is he still considered a rookie?

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
It'll be interesting to see what Castillo brings. Can he be considered much better than Iguchi ? He's more expensive and has no power and can't run like he used to.

You think they can get more than a Doobee ? :unsure:

And isn't he a rental as well?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
Luis Castillo = 2 draft picks (1 first rounder, 1 sandwich)

Tadahito Iguchi = nothing

Huge difference.

The point wasn't to compare him to Iguchi, but to Dye considering how people are running off screaming in the night at the mere thought of parting with a single prospect for him.

If being "a rental" is such a bad thing in regards to trading Dye, then how come the Twins were able to get anything for Castillo? (Disclaimer: I don't know anything about the players involved, they could be 30 year old AA players for all I know).

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
The point wasn't to compare him to Iguchi, but to Dye considering how people are running off screaming in the night at the mere thought of parting with a single prospect for him.

If being "a rental" is such a bad thing in regards to trading Dye, then how come the Twins were able to get anything for Castillo? (Disclaimer: I don't know anything about the players involved, they could be 30 year old AA players for all I know).

Take a look at the post that was submitted a few seconds before yours, that's what I was referring to.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
It'll be interesting to see what Castillo brings. Can he be considered much better than Iguchi ? He's more expensive and has no power and can't run like he used to.

You think they can get more than a Doobee ? :unsure:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
Take a look at the post that was submitted a few seconds before yours, that's what I was referring to.

Ahh, and i do agree with you on that. Gooch brought nothing. Still think we sold low...but it was probably a PR move to not try to rake Philly over the coals in their time of need (losing the amazing Chase Utley).

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Twins could be receiving catcher Drew Butera and outfielder Dustin Martin from the Mets in the Luis Castillo trade.

That's it? The draft picks Castillo would have brought are far more valuable that those two. The Twins can't really be this cheap, can they? Butera, 23, has hit .231/.297/.344 between Single-A St. Lucie and Double-A Binghamton this year. Martin, also 23, was hitting .287/.358/.421 for St. Lucie. Neither player projects as a major leaguer.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Twins could be receiving catcher Drew Butera and outfielder Dustin Martin from the Mets in the Luis Castillo trade.

That's it? The draft picks Castillo would have brought are far more valuable that those two. The Twins can't really be this cheap, can they? Butera, 23, has hit .231/.297/.344 between Single-A St. Lucie and Double-A Binghamton this year. Martin, also 23, was hitting .287/.358/.421 for St. Lucie. Neither player projects as a major leaguer.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)

Im done doubting Terry Ryans ability to assess minor league talent.

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
KW= one year wonder

Ryan= Constant Winner..

:hawk:

SNO RLY?

Terry Ryan 1995-2007. That's 7 years below .500 + 6 years of above .500 but no WS

vs.

KW 2000- 2007. One year below .500 (this year) + 1 year of .500 + 5 years of above .500 + 1 WS ring

If anything...a wash. But with the World Series ring...winnah!

You lost alot of that small window of credibility with that post.

Sorry, But 2005 was a fluky year.. Can KW reproduce it.. I don't think so, he failed to do it before 05 and after.

Ryan, had some bad year yes..but, he was building one of the best farm systems around, KW never has produced anything from our farm... Wait Sorry Fields might be, but I am not going to say Horray for one spect in 7 years.

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
Sorry, But 2005 was a fluky year.. Can KW reproduce it.. I don't think so, he failed to do it before 05 and after.

Ryan, had some bad year yes..but, he was building one of the best farm systems around, KW never has produced anything from our farm... Wait Sorry Fields might be, but I am not going to say Horray for one spect in 7 years.

a GMs sole job isnt to develop players from the farm...its to assemble a team....

and just in case you didnt know....jenks, cotts, hermanson, politte, garcia, contreras, el duque, AJ, iguchi, dye...etc etc were are assembled by KW

a GMs sole job isnt to develop players from the farm...its to assemble a team....

and just in case you didnt know....jenks, cotts, hermanson, politte, garcia, contreras, el duque, AJ, iguchi, dye...etc etc were are assembled by KW

I know what a GM job is.. And KW doesn't do it, well he does assemble a team, I will give him that now assembling a quality team that is playoff bound.. Umm Yeah..

From his start till now he fails to address the bullpen as a need. He attempts to throw together some hodge-podge and hope 2005 will happen. When he went with his all hard throwing straight ballers.. I gave him a shot, but banking your whole pen on it was not wise.. Letting Riske go another not so wise move..

But this is getting off topic..

Castillo.. IMO Towers should have tried is damnest for him.. they need a 2b and a lead-off hitter.