Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation

Heads22

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 03:40 PM)
Do you think maybe his numbers are skewed because he was called up prematurely while he was in Philly? Is it possible he needed another year or so in AAA?

His biggest success was when he was first brought up. He's been getting worse. Since the beginning of 2005, he makes Jaime Navarro look like Walter Johnson

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
Amazing what great effect his good outings in 2006 had on his 2007 performance.

You're absolutely right. Bullpen pitchers are volatile from year to year. But I suppose you would rather see the guy we have signed to a multi-year deal suck because Haeger should take his spot.

I think Haeger should probably take Ozzie's spot, and Kenny's spot, and Jerry's spot too. Maybe Rob Neyer would agree.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
According to Ozzie, he has to have a decent start to have more than 1.

And that is the real shame. If you want to use the 5th slot as a tryout, then you really need to give whomever is there a real shot. Give them a month. If they fail, give someone else September.

Pretty unvelievable and delusional attitude of Jose Contreras

Contreras has been replaced by Gavin Floyd for at least one turn in the rotation, but made it clear that he won't stay a reliever for long. "Maybe for the remainder of the year I'll be in the bullpen, but I fully expect to start next year," Contreras said. "If they don't want me as a starter next year, I want to be out of here."

He fully expects to start? And we fully expect you to get people out. You want out of here? Name one team that would relish the thought of your scrubby self starting for them. You're lucky you are still wearing a major league uniform.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
Pretty unvelievable and delusional attitude of Jose Contreras

Contreras has been replaced by Gavin Floyd for at least one turn in the rotation, but made it clear that he won't stay a reliever for long. "Maybe for the remainder of the year I'll be in the bullpen, but I fully expect to start next year," Contreras said. "If they don't want me as a starter next year, I want to be out of here."

He fully expects to start? And we fully expect you to get people out. You want out of here? Name one team that would relish the thought of your scrubby self starting for them. You're lucky you are still wearing a major league uniform.

Taken a little out of context. He intends to be effective again.

In case they don't want me as a starter, I guess they're going to have to talk, because I want to be a starter and not be anything but a starter next year," said Contreras on Thursday morning, through translator and bench coach Joey Cora. "I accepted the bullpen assignment now because I fully understand I'm struggling.

"But I'm going to be back. I'm going to be OK. Maybe for the remainder of the year I'll be in the bullpen, but I fully expect to start next year. If they don't want me as a starter next year, I want to be out of here."

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
Haeger I believe at least has options left. In other words, if Floyd bombs this year, Charlie comes out next ST as next in line since Floyd walks, and Charlie can spend part of the year in AAA until Garland walks if needbe. We're not in the hurry on Charlie that we are on Floyd.

+1

I also agree with the idea of Guillen holding back the reigns on his other starters.

Edited by shoota

I can't see why you wouldn't give Floyd the rest of the season. It's only about 10 starts. He needs that and the Sox need that to make a decent evaluation.

The Sox already know what they have in Contreras and Haeger.

Gio and Egbert are not ready yet. They haven't pitched above AA and Gio is only 21. Why push them ? If I had to pick one, I would pick Egbert. He's older and has a more command at this point.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
I can't see why you wouldn't give Floyd the rest of the season. It's only about 10 starts. He needs that and the Sox need that to make a decent evaluation.

The Sox already know what they have in Contreras and Haeger.

You know? I'm not sure the Sox know what they have in either of those 2 right now. I have no idea what happened to the other Contreras or if he can find his way back, and I have no idea whether Charlie will be able to get to the point where he can throw the knuckler for strikes enough to be effective. But still, I agree with you on giving Gavin the majority of the remainder of the season to see if he can do anything, under the "no risk high reward" rule.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
You know? I'm not sure the Sox know what they have in either of those 2 right now. I have no idea what happened to the other Contreras or if he can find his way back, and I have no idea whether Charlie will be able to get to the point where he can throw the knuckler for strikes enough to be effective. But still, I agree with you on giving Gavin the majority of the remainder of the season to see if he can do anything, under the "no risk high reward" rule.

If there are 10 starts left, I would like to see Gavin for 5. Then, Haeger for 5. Let's see what we have and Contreras have a break to see if he can get things going again for next year.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Gio and Egbert are not ready yet. They haven't pitched above AA and Gio is only 21. Why push them ? If I had to pick one, I would pick Egbert. He's older and has a more command at this point.

I agree, though I would like to see Egbert promoted to AAA immediately.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
I just read a 2001 scouting report on Floyd when he still was in high school. One scout liked him better than Prior. He said Floyd threw 95 and had a devastating curveball. He said Floyd could pitch in the major leagues "right now"(2001). Must have been a White Sox scout.

Further evidence of his great potential. Ninety five with a devastating curveball? MERCY!

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
I just read a 2001 scouting report on Floyd when he still was in high school. One scout liked him better than Prior. He said Floyd threw 95 and had a devastating curveball. He said Floyd could pitch in the major leagues "right now"(2001). Must have been a White Sox scout.

:huh

DA, I don't even know what you're trying to prove. That Floyd sucks? Okay, I agree. But we're out of options on him shortly. That's the ONLY reason I want him pitching often over the remainder of the season. But that's enough -- we simply don't have enough major league caliber pitchers for a major league roster. Whatever you throw out there, you're hoping for a miracle.

What are the alternatives? Haeger hasn't pitched well this year and it's clear the Sox don't want him in the ML rotation. The realistic alternatives are Masset, Gio, and Egbert. Masset's sucked about as badly as Floyd, and I'd rather not start the arbitration clock on the other two. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of AA promotions in general.

If you're just arguing for Haeger to get a shot, hey, I'd support that too. But knucklers are in the Brian Anderson area of the Sox roster -- why waste your breath?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)

By the way, did anybody not like him in that report you read?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
We should pick him up too! How can we lose?

Look up Dewon Brazelton on wikipedia. You will laugh. There was the "change of scenery" trade. A decent spring training, followed by horrible starts, and now 3 releases. No one really ever gave the poor kid 10 or 15 starts in a row to see what he could do. Its really a shame. KW should sign him up. As great as Floyd is , Brazelton's career ERA is almost a full run lower.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
Look up Dewon Brazelton on wikipedia. You will laugh. There was the "change of scenery" trade. A decent spring training, followed by horrible starts, and now 3 releases. No one really ever gave the poor kid 10 or 15 starts in a row to see what he could do. Its really a shame. KW should sign him up.

God, in fact, everyone from that draft sucked. I can't wait until the guy drafted after Floyd is released

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
Look up Dewon Brazelton on wikipedia. You will laugh. There was the "change of scenery" trade. A decent spring training, followed by horrible starts, and now 3 releases. No one really ever gave the poor kid 10 or 15 starts in a row to see what he could do. Its really a shame. KW should sign him up.

He's with the Pirates now. Let's trade Contreras for Jack Wilson and Brazelton. Future!